SaltCritters.com

Current truelumen led strips

tinctorus

Hey I was thinking about ordering 2 of the current truelumen strips to supplement the lighting on my RSM130, Right now I am running a 4x24 T5HO fixture with 2 actinic and 2 20K bulbs in it and the color looks very good however I want to add some more blue to it and also have a moonlight on it "I figure I can run 1 as a moonlight and 2 during the day"

These are the ones I am thinking about using

truelumen

CurrentUSALEDs.jpg

I THINK that 2 of them should give a noticable blue shimmer to the tank without making it to blue and ridiculous looking like some of the coral vendors pictures

Anyone running them as a supplement to there lights?

If so how do you like them and do they add a noticable amount of blue to the tank?

I have yet to get back into the hobby on a full scale so I have yet to see these, they appear really nice from the demo but are merely actinic and are fairly pricey. Check out tinygiants thread on gu10, personally I think the color would be on par with these except the pink marine glow type spectrum, not to mention you'd get shimmer.

They ARE pricey. I have heard customers tell me they flicker or go out, but in my experience (use them on frag tank) they work pretty well. Dunno if I can justify price though. I think an led supplier would be a better bet.

I honestly have never had a problem with current product plus I like the way they look and attach to the tank, Although I do metal work so I could easily fab up a mounting bracket similar to those, I DONT want to do those cheesey little flexible strips either

My main reason for using these was to just add som more color to the tank HOWEVER a shimmer ould be nice but is NOT a requirement for me, I will look into some other led strips that look similar and mount similar to those

I will also email current and see what there policy is on them if they start to flicker or go out all together, Although I have the added bonus of being in the aquarium hobby for 16 years so if something does go wrong I just give them to one of my buddies who owns ones of the store I shop at and he will get them replaced for me at no charge

i have 2 stunner strips on my nova pro. it did add color but did not add shimmer. the t5s way overpowered the leds. if i was to do it again i would have went with the stronger panorama pro module.

• 1 month later...

As supplemental lighting these should be just fine. I had two of them on my 20H and was going to use them as my main lighting, until I looked at reviews that had the PAR ratings. Not knowing what is a good PAR rating and what isn't, I posted here and asked about them and was told these will not cut it for main lighting.

They should be fine for supplemental, though, or for a FOWLR setup. If I had the money I would get one of their 50/50 strips to add to my t5 hood to get some nice shimmer effects, but I just can't swing it right now.

Honestly for what you would pay for two of these you could probably do a nice DIY LED build.

They won't add shimmer along with T5s but they do look pretty good. I have seen a LFS have them over their softy tank but they replaced them soon after not sure why. I like the colors a lot and thought about buying them as supplements until I went 100% LED :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I guess I wont get the shimmer I had hoped for but I still think I am going to buy 2 of these for supplemental actinic lighting for my tank

I have no problem doing a DIY build but the way these are designed fit my needs much better size wise than any DIY kit could, I plan on actually attaching these to my light fixture

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so I guess I wont get the shimmer I had hoped for but I still think I am going to buy 2 of these for supplemental actinic lighting for my tank

I have no problem doing a DIY build but the way these are designed fit my needs much better size wise than any DIY kit could, I plan on actually attaching these to my light fixture

I'm running 5 of the old design strips - the 10" ones with 4 x 3 watt LED's on each strip. I have 2 strips running 12k, 2 strips running the violet color, and 1 strip running 453nm actinic. I also have 4 of their mini-moonlight 3 LED strips running in a series for additional actinic and nighttime lighting. Color is amazing, the corals love it, and the temps in my BC29 went from 80 to 77. I removed the plastic splashguard since these are sealed in a waterproof polymer casing. I have removed the power compacts and run only these LED's. Amazon has them up to half off in their warehouse deals from time to time.

Archived