9 replies to this topic

tinctorus

tinctorus

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 28 Oct 2007
  • Ft Lauderdale Florida

Hey I was thinking about ordering 2 of the current truelumen strips to supplement the lighting on my RSM130, Right now I am running a 4x24 T5HO fixture with 2 actinic and 2 20K bulbs in it and the color looks very good however I want to add some more blue to it and also have a moonlight on it "I figure I can run 1 as a moonlight and 2 during the day"

These are the ones I am thinking about using

truelumen

Posted Image
I THINK that 2 of them should give a noticable blue shimmer to the tank without making it to blue and ridiculous looking like some of the coral vendors pictures

Anyone running them as a supplement to there lights?
If so how do you like them and do they add a noticable amount of blue to the tank?

Edited by tinctorus, 19 February 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

tinctorus

tinctorus

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 28 Oct 2007
  • Ft Lauderdale Florida
Jeez I figured SOMEONE would have an opinion on these, I mean you guy's have comments about EVERYTHING else...Why not these?
Posted Image

OceanDweller

OceanDweller

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 12 Jan 2012
  • Longview Texas
I have yet to get back into the hobby on a full scale so I have yet to see these, they appear really nice from the demo but are merely actinic and are fairly pricey. Check out tinygiants thread on gu10, personally I think the color would be on par with these except the pink marine glow type spectrum, not to mention you'd get shimmer.
Brad
"live everyday like it was your last"

Formula462

Formula462

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,384 posts
  • Joined 20 Apr 2009
  • Texas
They ARE pricey. I have heard customers tell me they flicker or go out, but in my experience (use them on frag tank) they work pretty well. Dunno if I can justify price though. I think an led supplier would be a better bet.

tinctorus

tinctorus

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 28 Oct 2007
  • Ft Lauderdale Florida
I honestly have never had a problem with current product plus I like the way they look and attach to the tank, Although I do metal work so I could easily fab up a mounting bracket similar to those, I DONT want to do those cheesey little flexible strips either

My main reason for using these was to just add som more color to the tank HOWEVER a shimmer ould be nice but is NOT a requirement for me, I will look into some other led strips that look similar and mount similar to those

I will also email current and see what there policy is on them if they start to flicker or go out all together, Although I have the added bonus of being in the aquarium hobby for 16 years so if something does go wrong I just give them to one of my buddies who owns ones of the store I shop at and he will get them replaced for me at no charge
Posted Image

Tbone675

Tbone675

┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  • Joined 13 Dec 2007
i have 2 stunner strips on my nova pro. it did add color but did not add shimmer. the t5s way overpowered the leds. if i was to do it again i would have went with the stronger panorama pro module.

Current tank - Radion lit Solana 34

Future  tank - Deep Blue 60 Cube

hochunk

hochunk

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 214 posts
  • Joined 25 Sep 2009
As supplemental lighting these should be just fine. I had two of them on my 20H and was going to use them as my main lighting, until I looked at reviews that had the PAR ratings. Not knowing what is a good PAR rating and what isn't, I posted here and asked about them and was told these will not cut it for main lighting.

They should be fine for supplemental, though, or for a FOWLR setup. If I had the money I would get one of their 50/50 strips to add to my t5 hood to get some nice shimmer effects, but I just can't swing it right now.

Honestly for what you would pay for two of these you could probably do a nice DIY LED build.

th64

th64

Throttle

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Joined 23 Jul 2011
  • SoCal
They won't add shimmer along with T5s but they do look pretty good. I have seen a LFS have them over their softy tank but they replaced them soon after not sure why. I like the colors a lot and thought about buying them as supplements until I went 100% LED :D

tinctorus

tinctorus

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 28 Oct 2007
  • Ft Lauderdale Florida
Ok so I guess I wont get the shimmer I had hoped for but I still think I am going to buy 2 of these for supplemental actinic lighting for my tank
I have no problem doing a DIY build but the way these are designed fit my needs much better size wise than any DIY kit could, I plan on actually attaching these to my light fixture
Posted Image

Stark77

Stark77

Market Maker

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 30 Mar 2011
  • Tallahassee, FL

Ok so I guess I wont get the shimmer I had hoped for but I still think I am going to buy 2 of these for supplemental actinic lighting for my tank
I have no problem doing a DIY build but the way these are designed fit my needs much better size wise than any DIY kit could, I plan on actually attaching these to my light fixture

I'm running 5 of the old design strips - the 10" ones with 4 x 3 watt LED's on each strip. I have 2 strips running 12k, 2 strips running the violet color, and 1 strip running 453nm actinic. I also have 4 of their mini-moonlight 3 LED strips running in a series for additional actinic and nighttime lighting. Color is amazing, the corals love it, and the temps in my BC29 went from 80 to 77. I removed the plastic splashguard since these are sealed in a waterproof polymer casing. I have removed the power compacts and run only these LED's. Amazon has them up to half off in their warehouse deals from time to time.