Top Shelf Aquatics

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

Don't know! I leave before the lights come on so I'll see how they look when I get home. There were still some stray mysis shrimp floating around yesterday so I don't think I totally cleaned out the tank. It was only a 25% WC and it had been 5+ days since the last one. I plan one 25% every weekend from now on. I think I just need to be patient and let everything get used to the tank. Hopefully once I get the LED's in this weekend everything will really come alive. :happy:

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the LED's at the moment might not help. I would wait probably 2 -3 weeks so everything can get calmed down and acclimated well before changing lighting which can be stressful for the tank. Switching toLED's right now might only cause more stress.

My LED's should arrive Friday so I was thinking of installing them Saturday. Everything will have been in the tank for at least a week at that point (except the 12 ricordeas that should be in today or tomorrow). Still think that's too soon? I'm thinking the light change will help them as it will be more like what they were probably used to at the LFS.

I can't say for sure but unless its a very high end LFS, I don't thunk they would be using LEDS... the adjustment period usually causes some problems but that goes away after about a week...

I can't say for sure but unless its a very high end LFS, I don't thunk they would be using LEDS... the adjustment period usually causes some problems but that goes away after about a week...

The LFS I picked them up from uses LEDs. They were showing me their set up because I was telling them about the Panorama Pros I ordered. So I know the corals came from under LED lighting! ;) That's why I'm thinking it will be okay to install the new LEDs ASAP instead of acclimating the corals to PC's and then switching them back to LEDs.

High end LFS? Please, even the dirtiest mismanaged LFS here has LED lights. Not too many, but they do have them.

Every decent shop would have LEDs by now. They save them money on electricity.

High end LFS? Please, even the dirtiest mismanaged LFS here has LED lights. Not too many, but they do have them.

Every decent shop would have LEDs by now. They save them money on electricity.

Maybe that's how it is over there, I've never seen one LFS in MI with them

You just have the RGB coming in right now, correct? Or did you order the white/blue pro as well? Are you planning to rip out the existing lighting this weekend and installing the new LED? If you only have the RGB to install, it will not be enough light. It's my understanding that the RGB is for color only. If you aren't sure, contact ecoxotic and ask them if the RGB alone will be enough for your coral until the white/blue comes in. If you are getting both lights in at the same time....just ignore me :lol:

I'm excited to see your new rics!!!!!! :happy:

I'm getting the RGB and the blue/white! So I'm all set for LEDs. If I have space I may add another module later. I'm just excited to see how my tank does with the new lighting!

Rics should be here tomorrow when I get home from work! :D

Now I get to put kids to bed and test params before I crash! ;)

Today's tests:

Temp 79.7 (not sure why so warm today)

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Calcium: 460

Mag: 1180 (not sure why it dropped?)

Ordered iodine/iodide test kits tonight too. It's not quite bed time so I may test dKH and phosphate now. I'm curious if anything else has changed.

DKH: 11

phosphate: 0

:)

I'm getting the RGB and the blue/white! So I'm all set for LEDs. If I have space I may add another module later. I'm just excited to see how my tank does with the new lighting!

Rics should be here tomorrow when I get home from work! :D

Now I get to put kids to bed and test params before I crash! ;)

Oh...excellent on all accounts :happy:

You're gonna LOVE the new lights!!!!!!

Oh wow shmancy fish store :-). They all have MH down here where I am at. Lol. The lighting change could be a factor then as to why the corals are pissed. If they came from a store with LED's then it makes sense they would get "irritated" under anything else. I say go for it! Oh make sure you turn the ballast all the way down when testing your LED's to start. Don't want to blow anything up . Awaiting details and fancy pictures of the led build :-)

LEDs should be here Thursday according to FedEx! :D I may be up all night Thursday now! ;)

Rics left Miami so I hope to see them in my tank tomorrow! I'm going to be having tank dreams tonight!

Gena, how do you get your rics to stay put? My two blew back to the back of the tank again. It's going to be hard to have a ric carpet if I have to constantly dig them out of the deep dark depths of my rock scape! I'm thinking of busting up the piece of rock I had removed and gluing each on to a piece of rubble to weight it down. Think it would work?

I hate getting rics and mushrooms to attach! Glue doesn't work since the slime up and release again. Putting them in a container with some rock rubble can work. I sewed my last mushroom to a rock. Yes I said sew, I used a needle and cotton thread and put it right through the shroom. It worked but mushrooms are bullet proof. For rics a container with some rock rubble should do it.

I had my 2 glued down but I pulled them loose when I added the BTA. Hopefully I can do it again for the new bunch! :lol:

I hate getting rics and mushrooms to attach! Glue doesn't work since the slime up and release again. Putting them in a container with some rock rubble can work. I sewed my last mushroom to a rock. Yes I said sew, I used a needle and cotton thread and put it right through the shroom. It worked but mushrooms are bullet proof. For rics a container with some rock rubble should do it.

That's what CM said, or you could try gluing: http://coralmorphologic.com/xcart/pages.php?pageid=10

Can't wait to see this 12 pack! It's on my wish list.

12 rics and a nem? Holy moley. My rics came with some rubble alrady attached, so I just glued them to a small piece of rock and OK so far. I did have a small piece fall off so I tried glueing some very light fishing line to a small piece of rock placing the ric on the rock and then wrapped the line back under the rock and glued that down.

The nem went into the back left corner and has stayed there. It doesn't seem unhappy but it's not visible from the front at all. I'm copying Gena's ric carpet on my front sandbed. I already have two so this will make 14. I have a 2-3 pound hunk of rock I removed from the tank that I think I'll bust up and use to weight the rics to the sand. :)

Thanks! I'm going to try superglue with rock rubble first and then I'll try other methods. I'm really hoping to have pictures of a gorgeous ric carpet tomorrow! :D

Today's tests:

Temp 79.7 (not sure why so warm today)

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Calcium: 460

Mag: 1180 (not sure why it dropped?)

Ordered iodine/iodide test kits tonight too. It's not quite bed time so I may test dKH and phosphate now. I'm curious if anything else has changed.

DKH: 11

phosphate: 0

:)

elos or salifert?

All the rics I have came already attached to rubble or rock. You need to get the flow way down until they settle in. And even then, you want pretty low flow for them. Although I keep reading that ricordea tolerate higher flow than other mushrooms. Mine seem to adore the low flow though. I've also found that they like to be in direct contact with each other. This seems to keep them pretty settled. None of mine have tried to escape one me with these conditions.

Archived