ReefCleaners.org

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

I wanted to start a thread on my BC 14 so I can watch it evolve and keep a log of what I do right (and wrong!).

FTS:

5-24-12

biocube015-2.jpg

Plans:

Equipment:

Eheim Jagr 50W Heater

inTank Media Basket w/ chaeto, purigen, filter floss

Maxi Jet 900 pump

Koralia 425 powerhead

Coralife Dual Power Strip

Coralife Digital Thermometer

Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED module/RGB Panorama Pro LED module

Future Equipment:

ReefKeeper Lite or Apex Jr

Another Ecoxotic 12k/445nm module

CUC/Inverts:

5 Candy Snails (Nerite?)

5 Dwarf Ceriths

4 Florida Ceriths

2 Nassarius

3 Nerite

1 Stomatella snail

3 Red Leg Hermits (Daughter's request)

3 Scarlet Hermits

1 Blue Leg Hermit

3 Trochus Snails

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 Pom Pom Crab

1 Porcelain Crab

1 red/green mini mini nem

3 purple martini mini mini nems

Macros:

Chaeto

C. Barbata

Red Grape

Blue Ochtodes

Halymenia

Codium

Dragons Breath

Unknowns

Current Corals:

Green Toadstool Mushroom Leather (Fiji)

Blue Mushroom

Red mushroom

Green mushroom

Rock covered in purple mushrooms

Open Brain

Frogspawn

Metallic Green Daisy Polyps

22 ricordea

1 Yuma

Blue Clove Polyps

PYA Clove Polyp

Orange Digitata

Future Corals:

Sun Coral

fox coral

orange cup coral

button coral

Fish:

None for the moment. Waiting until August to try again.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-16-12:

Added live sand, live rock, and pre-mixed SW from the LFS.

BC142_16_12.jpg

2-17-12:

Ran filter overnight to clear particulates from sand. To rinse filter floss or replace now?

Feb172012.jpg

2-17-12 First Water Tests:

SG: 1.025

pH: 8.4

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Does this mean nothing's happening? Should I try the raw shrimp to start a cycle or what? I expected to see something on the ammonia after 3 days. Am I being too impatient?

I'd just relax for a week.

Also since your water is clean I'd replace your floss. The sand dust is a pain to rinse out and you won't get it all out.

Good luck with your tank!

Thanks. I replaced the floss. I plan to buy an RO/DI unit eventually but it's not going to be right now.

Water today is pretty much the same:

Ammonia: 0.50

I'm not going to test again until at least Monday.

Excited to find this on a ledge in the back today!

rhodactis.jpg

Water is clear and temperature is holding steady at 81. I turned the heater down 2 degrees to try to get to 79-80 consistently. Happy so far!

• Like 1

Testing water params again tonight. Going to take a sample to the LFS to compare tomorrow. Can't wait to see where I'm at now! Just using this to bump so I can find this again tonight for my update!

Update:

Ammonia: 1.0

Will it ever start to break down?!

We're in full swing now!

S.G.: 1.025

Ammonia: 4.0ppm

Nitrite: 0.50ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

Temperature: 82

Turned my heater down another 2 degrees. Starting to believe it's stuck on. Did a small water change (half gallon or so) to try to save my crabs and coral.

2-26-12:

Ammonia: 4ppm

Nitrite: 2ppm

Nitrate: 40ppm

S.G.: 1.025

Ammonia has leveled off. I hope this means I can expect a drop soon. I actually think it was little lighter than 4ppm today but it was darker than 2ppm so I wanted to be conservative and not get excited.

I do suggest changing the fans in the aquarium hood. There noisy. Currently I run three ecoxotic panorama pros and no fans and things have been good. Will be adding a 80 mm fan soon to cool it all. Congrats on the tank! Its an exciting process!

even cutting away the shiny aluminum grate that covers the fans on the inside of the splash guard will help tremendously stabilize your temps..

Good idea. I pulled all aluminum out of the tank when I went led. Tried to keep some as a reflector and ended up getting heat issues.

My fans are quiet so far and no issues. My temp is stable at 79.5-79.7 day and night. I'm looking at getting the AI Nano LEDs for a retrofit of my hood but I'm totally uneducated on wiring/electricity and afraid of how much could go wrong. I'm only 13 days into this tank and I've already messed up the CUC! :o

How'd you mess the CUC up? If you go with the rapidled plug and play set it comes with instructions and you don't need to solder anything:-)

Hows the tank looking?

How'd you mess the CUC up? If you go with the rapidled plug and play set it comes with instructions and you don't need to solder anything:-)

Hows the tank looking?

Added 2 hermits and a snail too soon. Hoping they survive the cycle.

Is the rapidled plug and play the AI nano or a different one?

The tank looks the same. I'm just waiting for the ammonia and nitrites to drop so I can start looking at corals. Going to do corals first and fish later I think. I want a nice grown in tank with lots of color!

2-23-12.jpg

http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-14

This is the link.

You should be just fine with the snails and the hermits. If you're really worried get some prime and some bacteria addition supplemental stuff

Thanks! It says it needs a reef controller. Would the reef keeper lite be what I'm looking for? In the meantime this all only matters if my cycle eventually ends!

ETA: I've got a brittle star! He's super tiny but I saw him come out of a hole in the rock tonight! My second hitch hiker! Woohoo! Will he survive this crazy cycle?!

I want to have a full record of my cycle. I'm going to keep testing until I'm sure it's over. Right now though it's a mess and so am I.

2/28/12

Ammonia: 8+

Nitrite: 5+

Nitrate: 160+

Noticed my big hermit hadn't moved from this morning... dead as can be. Havent seen my trochus snail for two days. Guessing he bit it too. My coral looks like azz. I gave in and did about a 3 gallon water change. Hopefully I'll be able to save the little bit of life I have left in there. -_-

Update! Found the trochus alive and kicking. Hermit is not dead either! It was just my first molt! Scary stuff!

Well I guess at least you learned a valuable lesson. With saltwater keeping it is an expensive hobby and you are only goin to make it more expensive by rushing. For the dimmable leds on rapidled you can use a controller or you can build a simple dimmer box for about 10 bucks

Hey. Btw. That last post wasn't to be rude! Your ammonia may be spiking a lot from dead animal. Andbif your ammo is that high you may look at letting your lfs hang onto the rest of your live stuff til your spikes over

Hey. Btw. That last post wasn't to be rude! Your ammonia may be spiking a lot from dead animal. Andbif your ammo is that high you may look at letting your lfs hang onto the rest of your live stuff til your spikes over

I know it wasn't malicious. Adding the small CUC too early was my first big mistake and I'm sure I'll make some more along the way. I don't think there's anything dead though. I found the trochus alive and well and the hermit 'death' was actually a molt. I didn't know the molt looked so real! But the 'empty' shell got up and walked away last night! I removed the molt and threw it away so it's not in there decomposing. I counted and I have everything still so unless some HH died that I didn't know I had it's not an ammonia spike from decomp. Hopefully it will be over soon since I'm in the third week of cycling now!

Archived