SaltCritters.com

Deez new 2.3g extra long pico project

deeznutz

Update...

So I am a few steps closer to getting this thing wet :D

I decided to get off my lazy ass and do my aquascape. Unfortunately it didn't turn out the way imagined, but I'm a big dreamer lol The tank is just a bit too narrow to do anything elaborate. Keeping the rock away from the glass was a bit challenging. I decided to go for a more simplistic look. I think I'm happy with the out come, but I'm going to sleep on it and see how it looks in the morning hahaha.

I drilled the hole for the return. I wanted it dead centre, but I had a stud in the way. So I offset it to the one side. Does it look funny? Drain is drilled as well.

Tonight, I'll be finishing up the plumbing and then this thing is getting wet! I have butterflies in my stomach :wub: just thinking about it.

I've also located a contact for high end zoos, fortunately he's into high end sps and willing to trade :P

As for mounting the zoos, I've had this idea for a long time now and i think i might incorporate it here. Instead of frag plugs etc, I'll be mounting my zoos to glass balls like marbles. They are round and heavy so there shouldn't be too much movement it I just ploop them down on the sand bed. yes I said sand bed. i decided I want sand in this tank. We will see how it holds up with the flow.

Ok enough with the blabbing. Most people are here for pics and pic I will provided. They were rushed, but ou will get the general idea of the tank and aqua scape.

pLease critique my aqauascape, yay or nay. Add or remove etc.

Enjoy :happy:

03f31775.jpg

439401ab.jpg

d9d5b4dc.jpg

e87cea71.jpg

6f0f8486.jpg

752b6367.jpg

47c18317.jpg

4a4ec6fa.jpg

8622ccc8.jpg

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's pretty decent.

Is that a bulkhead... on the wall?! :huh:

Also, you have to be careful about how many LEDs go on what length, but a single row on a tank that long should be okay.

I like the scape, this tank looks sick. I did GU10s on my pico when it was up and everything I had was pretty happy. Mine had a bit too much actinic, I got 2 blues and 1 cool white, but the were pretty nice lights. I slapped the fixture together too but I was in a hurry then, I want to re do it now but I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet.

I also decided I'm building a new tank. I'm thinking 14" x8" x 7" but i'm not sure yet. I want to do a long tank like yours, so I might do up to 20".

Looks good to me.

Thanks b!

NICE

I've never seen locline used out of the water like that.

Thanks b!

I guess I'm a pioneer lol

looking awesome.

Appriciate it yo!

i like the scape

Thanks b!

I think it's pretty decent.

Is that a bulkhead... on the wall?! :huh:

Also, you have to be careful about how many LEDs go on what length, but a single row on a tank that look should be okay.

Yes that is a bulkhead on the wall. :P

I'm not sure what you mean, but if I'm reading it correctly. I'll be doing one row of 12 leds the lenth of the tank if i decide to do a diy fixture

I like the scape, this tank looks sick. I did GU10s on my pico when it was up and everything I had was pretty happy. Mine had a bit too much actinic, I got 2 blues and 1 cool white, but the were pretty nice lights. I slapped the fixture together too but I was in a hurry then, I want to re do it now but I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet.

I also decided I'm building a new tank. I'm thinking 14" x8" x 7" but i'm not sure yet. I want to do a long tank like yours, so I might do up to 20".

Thanks b! I'm going after the actinic look. You new tank sounds like fun. Make sure you start a build thread :)

This tank is almost too cool for words, but I managed a few. :) Nice setup!

You are too kind, thanks b!

Nicely done. Dont change a thing.

Thanks B!

I posted a thread, but i'm not going to start building til next week (spring break :D) at the earliest. I'm also going to be keeping everything :ninja:, as its a contest tank, til the start deadline approaches. I've got some good ideas tho.

I love my man cave. Two years in the making, but I think it turn out

Nice.

If that was what every man's cave looked like you'd be seeing an increasing number of women occupying them as well;) good job!

Yes that is a bulkhead on the wall. :P

I'm not sure what you mean, but if I'm reading it correctly. I'll be doing one row of 12 leds the lenth of the tank if i decide to do a diy fixture

Sorry i fixed a typo after you hit the quote button I guess.

The one row of leds shouldn't be a problem on a tank that's that long, because you'll have a long heatsink to dissapate the heat (assuming you want even coverage).

I posted a thread, but i'm not going to start building til next week (spring break :D) at the earliest. I'm also going to be keeping everything :ninja:, as its a contest tank, til the start deadline approaches. I've got some good ideas tho.

I saw your post, i'll be following :)

If that was what every man's cave looked like you'd be seeing an increasing number of women occupying them as well;) good job!

LOL, thanks man. Unfortunately I'm married and an increase in strange woman in my man cave will cause funds to disappear from my wallet and most like the man cave along with it hahaha.

Sorry i fixed a typo after you hit the quote button I guess.

The one row of leds shouldn't be a problem on a tank that's that long, because you'll have a long heatsink to dissapate the heat (assuming you want even coverage).

Cool, gotcha.

i wanna see whats on the other side of the wall :ninja:

You would! :P here you go. Don't judge me on the mess though :)

3ddc2075.jpg

39b930ca.jpg

7ee27dad.jpg

Update!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Ok ok, so things are moving along a lot faster then I thought. I got busy last night and got her wet!

After getting a stern look from the wife when I said " honey I have to make a quick trip to the Lowe's" I picked up some 1/2" sch 40 pipe for the return and 1' for the drain. I measured, cut, glued and cured the rest of the

plumbing. I have to say that I'm not happy with the noise the drain makes. Too much gurgling, for now. I'll have to fix it and make it a controlled siphon. For now, i can deal with the noise since it's in the basement.

I"m really happy with the waterline. it's not too high. It appears my lowliness have a bit of salt creep forming between the joints. Is this normal? I was adjusting then last night with flow, so it could be from moving them around. Ohwell.

I have to admit that the tank looks a bit weird since there is no light above. But for now it looks pretty decent B)

Picture time and lots of them! My pics are generally better, but i just took some quick ones for fun.

46f770ca.jpg

a066a9f7.jpg

3b06335e.jpg

e7ae01a4.jpg

808035a4.jpg

49b4363f.jpg

e01d69f3.jpg

dc622d12.jpg

59bfa4bd.jpg

92c59831.jpg

ed78c3ce.jpg

6ee858c6.jpg

1ec98957.jpg

b7900782.jpg

3740d486.jpg

looks nice. I still stand by my anemone station idea. doesnt even require a ton of rock, - just 3 rocks on sand, each with an anemone and an anemone animal or two at each station. and the walls become simple to clean. I wish i could make a setup like yours :)

Awesome!

That tank room is pretty sick indeed. You have so many systems going on in there.

Thanks man, in the fish room you will find a 100g sump with remote 8"dsb and a frag section. To the right of it is a QT tank for my fish and the far riight is nothing more then a LR tank for well... my live rock hahah

Looking good!

Thanks b!

looks nice. I still stand by my anemone station idea. doesnt even require a ton of rock, - just 3 rocks on sand, each with an anemone and an anemone animal or two at each station. and the walls become simple to clean. I wish i could make a setup like yours :)

Thanks B! You did give me good advice. We will see how it turns out. I can always change it up. It's not like its a big deal to drain it and start over lol

I was messing around last night with the tank and I got my iPhone led light on it and it looked pretty cool so I decided to snap a few pics. I wanted to pack this tank full of sps frags from my display today because the canvas is so barren.

I'm also debating if I should pick up the vertex illumilux tomorrow. I think it might be too pawerful and if I raise it too high, I'll get light split from it. I going to check it out anyways, but I DIY fixture sound more practical. Mainly because i can dim it right out the box. Where the vertex is dimmable but vertex has not yet released the modules and/or they don;t know if the RKE can control it.

Anyways on to the pics!

iPhone powered pico

6ca2c440.jpg

a8f8f8e6.jpg

Lights out

6b6d3773.jpg

04011863.jpg

rightside

d0d9cef0.jpg

leftside

84a025e0.jpg

44e9253c.jpg