Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Deez new 2.3g extra long pico project

deeznutz

Hello all, it's been a while since my last 1.2g cube pico. The system was sold about 6 months ago and I can't seem to find my old thread. I recent found a tank that sparked my interest in doing another pico. This time

I'm doing it right and making it easy to work on.

The tank is 27x4x5tall

e5db33d2.jpg

The tank will either be drilled with an over flow box or notch with an external over flow. I'm really worried about notching the tank for the external since it's really thing glass.

Some more pics.

2fa9c957.jpg

aa42bbaf.jpg

And for size comparisons

2d3d49e0.jpg

The tank is very long and narrow and aquascaping it is going to be a challenge.

The flow:

I plan on making a closed loop system for the tank and hopefully that combined with the return(uncertain what pump to use) I'm hoping to have enough flow for sps.

Flitration:

I'll be plumbing this bad boy to my basement sump and using the same water as my main display.

Lighting:

The lighting I'm unsure of. I'm thinking of 2x 24watt t5, 15"led unit or a DIY led.

Live stock:

Since it's a pretty long tank, I think I'll be able to get away with a small blenny. Hopefully a tailspot.

Other wise I'll just get a bunch of small gobies.

Sand bed:

I'm not sure about the sand bed. If I do stock it with fish, I'm thinking bare bottom. But if I decided to just do zoos and sps I will probably do a 1/2" bed.

Corals:

I'll be starting with zoos and adding sps as the tank matures a bit. Again, I'll only add sps if the flow is up to par.

Since this is only my second pico, any advice or suggestions are welcomed. I'll be document everything I do because I'm a fish geek lol. I just got the tank today and I haven;t really designed the tank yet, but I know what I want. Now I just have to build it :)

thanks for looking

-dan

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks real nice. since i am a fan of inverts in picos more than fish, I would make this a sort of anemone symbiont pico. have an anemone every few inches. about 3-4 anemone stations in total throughout the length of the tank. one would have a porcelain anemone crab, the next anemone would have some sexy shrimp, then next would have some other species of anemone shrimp, and another anemone with some other nem animal living on it. of course the better nems to use for this are maxi mini nems.

Where did you find that thing?! :D Really looking forward to seeing how you scape it.

Funny you ask. I was at my local flower shop to get flowers for the misses. When I was there I noticed a 12x5x5 glass tank (flower vase) Anyways, it caught my attenion. So I find myself thinking about it that night. I showed up the day after to get and i found out that they carry it in a 27" long size as well. needless to say I ordered it :)

I have some pretty cool ideas for the scape, but I have to figure out the over flow before hand. My last pico had a hard time surface skimming and I hate the surface scum that collects. It kills the look.

Any ideas on the ovreflow and aqauscape? Keep i mind that the tank is only 4" wide.

looks real nice. since i am a fan of inverts in picos more than fish, I would make this a sort of anemone symbiont pico. have an anemone every few inches. about 3-4 anemone stations in total throughout the length of the tank. one would have a porcelain anemone crab, the next anemone would have some sexy shrimp, then next would have some other species of anemone shrimp, and another anemone with some other nem animal living on it. of course the better nems to use for this are maxi mini nems.

This is very interesting and a great idea. I have lots of LFS around my area that carry some stunning pieces.

I still want to add at least one fish though. Hopefully a naso tang :P

+1

thanks

Nice tank, where did you get this tank? Looking forward to see what you do with it.

Thanks man, I am too lol. I got it from a flowershop. $50 bones though, but worth it :)

:o that thing is nuts. really wanna see this all setup

LOL thanks

love the dimensions on this tank...can't wait to see it filled!

I water tested it last night. She's good to go!

since the water volume is slightly over 2 gals, i would recommend just two anemone stations. idk if you can get away with three...might be too many. but if you have a large sump, then 3 should work as long as you can fit three maxi mini nems in there :lol:

How long have you had water in the tank? In your pics, the corners of the tank don't look siliconed. In the first pic the right top corner is off also. Such a nice size tank, I'd hate for you to set this up and then have a seal fail.

this was found at a flower shop? that is surprising. looks much more like an aquarium than a vase haha.

Yuppers, I was suprised too. Next thing you know, flower shops are cleaning up vase sales lol

Don't do fish. Do all out inverts.

I'm thinking i might. Lets get a list of some interesting species i can add. i only want to add cool, rarish stuff.

Is that even a word?

since the water volume is slightly over 2 gals, i would recommend just two anemone stations. idk if you can get away with three...might be too many. but if you have a large sump, then 3 should work as long as you can fit three maxi mini nems in there :lol:

yeah the sump is roughly 100g and the display is another 150. I hope adding another 2 gallons to it won;t throw everything off LMFAO!

How long have you had water in the tank? In your pics, the corners of the tank don't look siliconed. In the first pic the right top corner is off also. Such a nice size tank, I'd hate for you to set this up and then have a seal fail.

I water tested it over night. No leaks in the morning. The silicone is very hard on this tank. Looks and feels more like glue. I think I might run a thin bead of silcone just to be safe. I inspected the tank is and everything is seal. But it's not perfection. Honestly I can't complain. Good eye though ;)

I water tested it over night. No leaks in the morning. The silicone is very hard on this tank. Looks and feels more like glue. I think I might run a thin bead of silcone just to be safe. I inspected the tank is and everything is seal. But it's not perfection. Honestly I can't complain. Good eye though ;)

Whoohoo, glad your on top of it. Didn't mean to be a doubter, just want to see a beautiful tank one day ;) I bought a ADA 45F last year for myself (b/d gift) for my RCS colony, much shorter, but love these type of tanks. Four inches across, can't wait to see what you do with this!

I too will be following. Very interested in seeing how the plumbing turns out as well as how you're going to get good flow for SPS. Love long picos!

Are you planning on taking off those feet? I'd be worried with all the pressure being on the ends of such a small tank. Also, how thick is the glass? If you feel comfortable drilling it a herbie overflow would work well.

Are you planning on taking off those feet? I'd be worried with all the pressure being on the ends of such a small tank. Also, how thick is the glass? If you feel comfortable drilling it a herbie overflow would work well.

Or add more feet along the sides and inside bottom for even support.

Looks absolutely amazing. Those dimensions are incredibly unheard of. I'm sure you'll pull this one off really well.

Oh, and here's your old thread ;)

Whoohoo, glad your on top of it. Didn't mean to be a doubter, just want to see a beautiful tank one day ;) I bought a ADA 45F last year for myself (b/d gift) for my RCS colony, much shorter, but love these type of tanks. Four inches across, can't wait to see what you do with this!

No worries dude, I'm glad there are people here that can point things out. I mean that's the whole point of the thread is to share ideas with fellow reefers :)

Wow, that size looks cool as hell. I'll be following.

Thanks dude

Nice. For the overflow, just use a surface skimmer method. If you have surface agitation skim shouldn't have a problem.

Regardless it will be a surface skimmed, I'm just not sure if I should notch the back wall for an external overflow or just go with an internal overflow box. The external will save room in the tank and ultra clean,

But the internal is so much easier and it allows me to push the tank right up against the wall.

I have to do some calculation to see what works best. Since it's a 2g tank. I'll need at least 20-30gph through it.

I too will be following. Very interested in seeing how the plumbing turns out as well as how you're going to get good flow for SPS. Love long picos!

I think the plumbing is my greatest hurdle. I'm not sure if I should use 1/2",3/4" or 1" bulk head for the drain.

my last pico i used a 1" drain an found it was way too big for a durso drain.

Bumble bee shrimp, harlequin shrimp anemome shrimp, another shrimp that I'm not mentioning because I want it ;)

Come on, cough up the goods lol. Are Harlequin shrimp hard to keep? I know they eat starfish. So I'll have to add a starfish?

that tank is freaking crazy. i wanna go to a flower shop and look for one now.. make sure it wont leak!

Thanks dude, you should go and try to find one. You might have to ask for some help. Mine had to be ordered.

I was planning to either add them or removed them completely. When I filled it, there was no bowing at all in the middle. But better safe then sorry.

Or add more feet along the sides and inside bottom for even support.

Looks absolutely amazing. Those dimensions are incredibly unheard of. I'm sure you'll pull this one off really well.

Oh, and here's your old thread ;)

Thanks man, I knew the tank was cool and the dimensions are either going to make or break this tank.

I sure hope I don't embarrass myself here on NR lol

thanks for finding the link B)

My mom just got 2 fish hotels as gifts. I might do what you did and keep my bongo shrimp in it.

Cool man, can't wait to see it. The only problem with that tank was the sump. Having the sump underneath was really cool, but when if came to maintenance, not so cool. Actually a royal pain in the arse. Plus the salt creep was ridiculous.

Archived