inTank Media Baskets

Seachem SeaGel *update*

randythefishdude

randythefishdude

lol i should of asked before but i kidof bought o whole liter , 2 years worth for me.... of this stuff for my reactor ....it sounded perfect phospate removal and carbon in one ....is this stuff any good . i contacted seachem because if the alluminum leackin romer sorry for spelling , they said if u rince it good nothing will happen .. just wanna know any ones experiance with the stuff

any one lol :huh:

lol i should of asked before but i kidof bought o whole liter , 2 years worth for me.... of this stuff for my reactor ....it sounded perfect phospate removal and carbon in one ....is this stuff any good . i contacted seachem because if the alluminum leackin romer sorry for spelling , they said if u rince it good nothing will happen .. just wanna know any ones experiance with the stuff

any one lol :huh:

come some must use it -_-

I'm...Not...Sure...But...It...is...probably...unnecessary...

Seriously though, what are you trying to accomplish with it? I really only suggest good ole carbon, gfo, and purigen

randythefishdude

I'm...Not...Sure...But...It...is...probably...unnecessary...

Seriously though, what are you trying to accomplish with it? I really only suggest good ole carbon, gfo, and purigen

[/quote

i have chemi pure but i just wanted to make my life easier and get phospate removal and carbon in one for my reactor cause the back of my bio cube is just a refugum theres no where to put extra media

randythefishdude

hmmm i just got the stuff in it was kinda kool i rinced it in the sink and the stuff started to heat up and cracke , and fizz ... i put it in an old chemi pure bag .. i dont think it will work till its full ponental till my two little fishes reactor gets here..... carbon was kinda cool it was ball shaped .... gess ill need to wait

I think it's good stuff, but you can't be lazy with it. It is good for about a month, then you need to change it out as it will leach all the absorbed stuff back into the tank.

This has phosguard in it. Phosguard is aluminum based...which is bad in my opinion. Would never use it.

Stick to high quality carbon, chemipure (elite) and GFO!

randythefishdude

hmmm there was a disscusion on seachems site about this they clam that the they have tested that after a good rinse and is changed regulary they amount of allumunum is some but will not affect corals ..... well looks like imma test this my self lol wish me luck B);)

hmmm there was a disscusion on seachems site about this they clam that the they have tested that after a good rinse and is changed regulary they amount of allumunum is some but will not affect corals ..... well looks like imma test this my self lol wish me luck B);)

Ive been using Phosguard in my reactor for about a month. From what I read, the whole aluminum issue was mainly effecting leather corals. I have a finger leather that doesnt seem to be bothered at all.

It works, for me, just as well as chemi-pure elite (and does the same thing). Cheaper too. Plus, using chemi-pure in a reactor is a pain, this is much better for that application.

There are two arguments, the first being that the phosguard component leeches phosphates back into the water column once it has been exhausted, the second being that it leeches aluminum into the aquarium continuously. According to Seachem, both of these have been proven false with scientific research. But, of course, who paid for the research? Though, you would think if either were true, they would reformulate the product to offer something safer. I think it's safe.

randythefishdude

i just got a leather toad stool lol i gess we well really see what happens then

im not to worryed about it i dont think they would still make this stuff if it was bad and it does look preetty good to put in a reactor .... hmmm i really dont think it will relese too much allumunum if it did some one would of said it on here... but i really dont think it would relese stuff back in if it will asorb it how would it be relesed i think that claim from peoples leavals rising naturally when the stuff is exausted

i've been using it for about a year in a phosban reactor...seems to work good to me. I usually change it when the white part starts to brown.

• 1 month later...
randythefishdude

*update* so i just tested my phospate and i am reading 0-0.25 parts per million before i was using tap water with 2 parts per million i have done a 5 gallon water change with ro di water ...meadia was running for 1 month with twice the reccomended amout in a phos ban reactor 150..... :D

Archived