Innovative Marine Aquariums

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Lol I will later tonight...I was in the middle of making it and my fiance got in a head on accident last night so I didn't finish :/

:scarry:

Everyone OK?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
Lol I will later tonight...I was in the middle of making it and my fiance got in a head on accident last night so I didn't finish :/

Holy bag of pretzels, Batman! Is she ok?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

I know you love LEDs but a word of advice, flowers and some Deckoz2302 time will go much farther than a LED array to light up here bedroom.. Just sayin...

Any update on availability of the Maker's heatsink?

Still aiming at May 10th.

tattooeryan

sorry if this question has already been asked, but will the ocean white leds swap on the sol nano blue? thanks for your time. if not what would be the best colors to swap on my fixture to get a less blue look? i appreciate your guys help as this (leds) is all very new to me.

Hey milad, would these new ocw be a good way to add some color without losing the blue tank look? I have 12 rb and 9 cw Cree xre LEDs running right now. I love the 20k look (cw are dimmed quite a bit right now)how many should I add to get more color without going overboard?

jedimasterben
sorry if this question has already been asked, but will the ocean white leds swap on the sol nano blue? thanks for your time. if not what would be the best colors to swap on my fixture to get a less blue look? i appreciate your guys help as this (leds) is all very new to me.

No, fixtures like that are sold as final - you can't change anything, not easily, anyway, and especially not something like the OCW that are mounted onto stars.

Hey milad, would these new ocw be a good way to add some color without losing the blue tank look? I have 12 rb and 9 cw Cree xre LEDs running right now. I love the 20k look (cw are dimmed quite a bit right now)how many should I add to get more color without going overboard?

Not really, the white put out by the OCW is white, so it will make the light whiter while also giving lots and lots of pop!

I know you love LEDs but a word of advice, flowers and some Deckoz2302 time will go much farther than a LED array to light up here bedroom.. Just sayin...

+1 ... Hope she's ok

Yea she's ok I was at work when I posted earlier. Long day to say the least.

As far as the LED array goes, It was a bump to the thread and to spark some ideas.

and for jedi

Layout1.jpg

As far as the LED array goes, It was a bump to the thread and to spark some ideas.

and for jedi

Layout1.jpg

The layout looks pretty good to me. Probably just nit picky and personal preference, 6 cool blues would be a bit much for me. Other than that, it looks like an awesome setup. I setup my 46 led's into 2 clusters packed as tightly as possible on a 6" x 18" heatinksink, and damn does that thing get hot. Looking at your old setup though it looks like you'll have fans anyways.

jedimasterben

and for jedi

Layout1.jpg

You will be using XM-Ls for this, right? What amperage? Give me a day or two of running numbers and making diagrams and I'll get back to you with a possible alternative. B)

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

As jedi said, its more of a white LED than anything else so it will make it a bit more white. I would just slap on 3-4 on it and keep them dim to bring out some good colors.

The cluster is exactly the same as my current setup with the addition of 4 violets, 7royal blues and 1 cool blue. As far as the whites yes they will be XMLs running at 2100mA. As far as fans go - they are necessary when running XML at high amperage.

Also.....I did a little change and if my math serves me right at a junction tempurature of 75c and the mA I'll run the lamps at, the total of the pendants should be around 4,299,468 lux at a distance of 0.2meters with a 60 degree viewing angle

As jedi said, its more of a white LED than anything else so it will make it a bit more white. I would just slap on 3-4 on it and keep them dim to bring out some good colors.

How do the ocw compare to neutral white LEDs? I'm considering removing my cw LEDs and replacing with either NW or these ocw.

jedimasterben
How do the ocw compare to neutral white LEDs? I'm considering removing my cw LEDs and replacing with either NW or these ocw.

These aren't "white" LEDs, they are red, turquoise, and cool blue mounted to a single star. The light they create when they mix is white, but they are not a replacement for white LEDs. The best base color is neutral white, but since you like your 20K look, you'll need at least a 1:3 ratio of neutral white to royal blue since neutrals are more yellow than cools.

AFRobert568

I have a 75 (48*18*21) that I’m looking to add LED’s to and I had a few questions about LED choice.

Question 1: How many OCW’s should I run to get good coverage? I was thinking about doing 6, so I will have 3 per every two foot section, and I was also wondering about running TV. Do you think 8 would work or should I get more?

Question 2: The white/blue balance. I was wondering about using XM-L leds for my tank. What is the benefit to running these compared to running the XP-G led and how does the ratio change if I’m using these at a 1:2 ratio. If I don’t use the XM-L’s should I go 48 or 36 at a 1:2 NW to RB.

Thanks Rob

If you run XML at 2100mA your looking at a 0.5:2 or a 1:4 ratio. Looking at around 900lumen at 2100mA any higher and the curve drops greatly seeing only around 1050lumen at 3amp. 2100 is right around perfect as far as heat and output goes considering the jump in lumen from 350mA to 2100mA

AFRobert568

Thanks for the fast response, and I have been looking at your tank since I’ve been thinking about getting back into leds. What is the size of your current thank? What is your opinion on the approximate number of LEDs I should get for my tank if I do the xml 1:4 ratio.

What's the foot print.of your tank? 48x18 correct?

You could do

12 XML - 1 every 4 inches in a row across

If you do XTE at 1000mA your looking at 240% over the 350ma output around 948radiant flux and could essentially run 24 xte instead of the 1:4 ratio at a lower mA .

Violets I would run around the same number 24 violets across or 8 hvtv.

Now we will get into cool blue, turquoise and deep red. Personally I prefer around a 1:1 ratio of white to cool blue - others may say different so I would say 12 cool blue. As far as turquoise and deep red once again I prefer a 2 turquoise to 1 deep red ratio vs 1:1. I would say 4 turquoise and 2 red for every foot. So 16 turquoise and 8 deep red.

Others may have suggestions but this ratio will allow you a brilliant sunrise of reds oranges pinks into a mid summer noon. Setting into a magnificent deoep purplely blue. It can rise or set however you see fit, if you were to put all at 100% you would have an 8000k metal halide look, dim the whites 5% and your at 12k, 15% 14k and about 25% and should be around 20k.

I would probably hang 8inches above tank with 60s on a 21inch deep tank or raise it to around 18 inches with 40s for better spread

jedimasterben
What's the foot print.of your tank? 48x18 correct?

You could do

12 XML - 1 every 4 inches in a row across

If you do XTE at 1000mA your looking at 240% over the 350ma output around 948radiant flux and could essentially run 24 xte instead of the 1:4 ratio at a lower mA .

Violets I would run around the same number 24 violets across or 8 hvtv.

Now we will get into cool blue, turquoise and deep red. Personally I prefer around a 1:1 ratio of white to cool blue - others may say different so I would say 12 cool blue. As far as turquoise and deep red once again I prefer a 2 turquoise to 1 deep red ratio vs 1:1. I would say 4 turquoise and 2 red for every foot. So 16 turquoise and 8 deep red.

Others may have suggestions but this ratio will allow you a brilliant sunrise of reds oranges pinks into a mid summer noon. Setting into a magnificent deoep purplely blue. It can rise or set however you see fit, if you were to put all at 100% you would have an 8000k metal halide look, dim the whites 5% and your at 12k, 15% 14k and about 25% and should be around 20k.

I would probably hang 8inches above tank with 60s on a 21inch deep tank or raise it to around 18 inches with 40s for better spread

I think 12x XM-L across a 75 may be too much, I would do 8x at 2A, and I don't think a 1:2 ratio of XM-L 2A to XT-E 1A would do very well, I think it would still be very white unless you really dim the whites. For a 12K look, it seems that a 1:5 ratio of lumens of whites to radiant flux of royals seems to get a 12K look, so a 1:2 of XM-L 2A to XT-E 1A would be 650lm:1900mW, so I would do a 1:3 ratio. If the OP wanted a more purple look and went with Rebel ES at 1A, they could get away with the 1:2 ratio.

I do think a 1:1 of white to cool blue is a bit much, maybe 2:1. Turquoise at 495nm is really close to the 470nm of the cool blue, so adding more turquoise would make up for it.

Also, you forgot true violets. :) I would do eight of those, too, so you can cluster everything together in eight groups.

Paleoreef103

For a 75, I would say 10 clusters (2 rows of five) or 12 (2 rows of six). A good ratio would be 1 XM-L NW: 3 RB: 1 DR:1 Tq:1 SB: 2 TV as a base. That should give you a nice 14K look with the ability to go just about anywhere in terms of color. Normally, you should run less SB, DR, and TQ than white, but with the XM-Ls each NW essentially counts for 2 or 3 normal NWs.

I guess the big question is, what are you aiming for? SPS? The above suggestion is perfect for that. If you're going mixed reef, I'd just buy about 18-20 3ups, 4 or 5 OCWs, and 18-20 TVs and be done with it. With 60 degree optics and some diffuser you'd be hitting 100 PAR on the sand bed if you run your 3 ups at @700 mA and 500 PAR near the top of the tank. Perfect mixed reef numbers.

AFRobert568

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I’m going to begin to figure out I’m going to set this up. I will continue to post and get advice on the exact ratios and cluster numbers at I progress this build.

If I add deep red, TV and turquoise will I be better off using the cool white XM-L because it supposable the U2 color bin produces 70% more light then the warm white, so I wonder how much better it is then the neutral white. My last question is about the need for optics. For all leds or can I go without for the XM-ls because they are so strong and I want to ensure coverage without overpowering my tank.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I’m going to begin to figure out I’m going to set this up. I will continue to post and get advice on the exact ratios and cluster numbers at I progress this build.

If I add deep red, TV and turquoise will I be better off using the cool white XM-L because it supposable the U2 color bin produces 70% more light then the warm white, so I wonder how much better it is then the neutral white. My last question is about the need for optics. For all leds or can I go without for the XM-ls because they are so strong and I want to ensure coverage without overpowering my tank.

This is a good read for optics: http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/pages/Choosing-...ight-optic.html

Archived