Top Shelf Aquatics

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

40b with one Ledtric par38 full spectrum and one OCReef par38 full spectrum, no optics.

GhYH0QH.jpg

Nothing is reaching, I have 3 sps in here that are all doing fine.

Future plan is to add another Ledtric bulb just to even out the tone.

which bulb is which here?

the bulb on the right has better color IMO, at least in the pic.. what your eye sees and what's in pictures isn't always the same..

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which bulb is which here?

the bulb on the right has better color IMO, at least in the pic.. what your eye sees and what's in pictures isn't always the same..

The one on the left is LEDTRIC, the one on the right is OCReef. It's actually their fuge bulb and has 3 red leds on it. I don't like it, it isn't what I ordered, but I waited a very long time for the bulb to arrive so I never bothered about returning it. I don't care for it's spectrum, it's very purple/red, and the side of the tank it's on constantly grows diatoms. Never under the LEDTRIC bulb, but always, every day under the OCReef one.

and I'm sure that pic isn't close to what you actually see.. ledtric bulb looks like windex in the pic..

That's what I fill my tank with. :P

Mine looks much different than other people's par bulbs because I run them with no optics. The difference is crazy, they look so much better that way.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

Added a second LED strip to my canopy (the one nearest the power supplies)::

12g2xDIYLEDStrip032214_zps813dbedf.jpg

Original DIY Strip: (2) OCW, (1) NW, (1) RB, (2) HV

New DIY Strip: (1) OCW, (3) NW, (2) RB and (2) HV

Stunner strips: (2) RB and (2) 8000K/B

The two DIY strips are on the same power cord, but they have individual dimmers. Along with the two 8000K/Blue Stunner strips, this channel is on for 6 hrs/day. Two RB Stunners are on a second channel for 10 hrs/day. All cords run through grommets and stainless hardware throughout.

A very close match, color wise, to what I had before, but this extra strip allows me to properly light up the rear 1/3 of the tank.

FTS (75% both DIY LED strips):

12g2xDIYStrips032314_zps874a26d7.jpg

Looks like that's it for this particular lighting setup. Many thanks to Ben and LEDGroupbuy for the quick, correct shipments which made this an enjoyable project :)

jedimasterben

Added a second LED strip to my canopy (the one nearest the power supplies)::

12g2xDIYLEDStrip032214_zps813dbedf.jpg

Original DIY Strip: (2) OCW, (1) NW, (1) RB, (2) HV

New DIY Strip: (1) OCW, (3) NW, (2) RB and (2) HV

Stunner strips: (2) RB and (2) 8000K/B

The two DIY strips are on the same power cord, but they have individual dimmers. Along with the two 8000K/Blue Stunner strips, this channel is on for 6 hrs/day. Two RB Stunners are on a second channel for 10 hrs/day. All cords run through grommets and stainless hardware throughout.

A very close match, color wise, to what I had before, but this extra strip allows me to properly light up the rear 1/3 of the tank.

FTS (75% both DIY LED strips):

12g2xDIYStrips032314_zps874a26d7.jpg

Looks like that's it for this particular lighting setup. Many thanks to Ben and LEDGroupbuy for the quick, correct shipments which made this an enjoyable project :)

Looks great!

So when you gonna take it to 100% DIY? :)

Nano sapiens

Looks great!

So when you gonna take it to 100% DIY? :)

For this little tank, it's all good the way it is right now.

But, when I do another tank it'll be a 'full monti' DIY :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I am new to the DIY LED experience and I was considering doing a 20 gallon lps and zoa dominated tank. I was planning on doing 3X3ups and 3XOCW over the tank. would this be enough light for lps and zoas?

Nano sapiens

Nano, that is a sweet looking tank. Nice to see the progress from last time you posted a pic.

Thank you. It's been quite a journey, lighting-wise, but certainly worth the effort :)

Lighting wise your tank looks the best out of all the LEDs Ive seen. It looks super bright with no dark areas. I guess it's because you have so much coverage.

Thank you. It's been quite a journey, lighting-wise, but certainly worth the effort :)

Hi guys I am new to the DIY LED experience and I was considering doing a 20 gallon lps and zoa dominated tank. I was planning on doing 3X3ups and 3XOCW over the tank. would this be enough light for lps and zoas?

Depends on the dimensions of your 20 gallon. If shallow enough, with good spread that may be enough for some low demand species. The OCW don't enough in the way of growth so I'm basing this off 3ups.

Nano sapiens

Lighting wise your tank looks the best out of all the LEDs Ive seen. It looks super bright with no dark areas. I guess it's because you have so much coverage.

Coverage is a big part, but so is choosing the correct spectrum that benifits the corals and is also pleasing to the eye.

In nature corals receive three types of light: Direct (sun), incident (light diffused/scattered through the atmosphere) and reflective (upwelling from reflective surfaces). I've tried to combine these types of lighting effects in my tank using just LEDs.

After looking at many LED lit nano tanks I could see a lot of light drop-off at the corners and edges. High powered LEDs emanating from a central location tend to do that. What I have tried to do was to emulate the more diffuse spread of T5s with lower wattage Stunner Strips while providing some of the punch of a MH with the DIY LED strips.

Since this simple system doesn't have individually dimmable white and blue channels (only the ability to dim each individual DIY strip), I researched and then ordered the type and number of LED chips to approximate what corals at ~10 - 15 meters depth receive. After putting the strips together, I simply changed a chip or two to get the coloration to where it was pleasing to my eye.

Archived