Cultivated Reef

Maxima Clam - Ultra Blue

Jmifland

Holy mackerel Zeph, how old is that clam? How big was it when you got it?

the clam is about 20 years old...i haver had it for 5 years. It grows about an inch per year. They are my babies!!!

JamieSheffield
Yes, that was me =)

067yh.jpg

I would love for mine to grow and continue to be happy in my tank...one of my anemones went walkabout this morning, and settled near/or my clan, and he retracted...will he get stung/injured, or is his shell ample protection?

Jamie

jedimasterben
the clam is about 20 years old...i haver had it for 5 years. It grows about an inch per year. They are my babies!!!

Babies that outweigh you and keep getting bigger! :)

I would love for mine to grow and continue to be happy in my tank...one of my anemones went walkabout this morning, and settled near/or my clan, and he retracted...will he get stung/injured, or is his shell ample protection?

Jamie

My BTA walked over my clam, and the next day the clam was completely gone from his shell. Shell was so clean, it looked like it had never been occupied.

IMG_20120512_224426.jpg

(sorry for the awful color and algae, I hadn't cleaned the glass in over a week and had to use CFLs for light for a few days)

Jamie

Your clam "should" be just fine. It is perplexing why some clams are sensitive to anemone stings, and others dont even notice them. Yesterday i saw a teardrop maxima being smothered by a fairy large anemone, and the clam was open in all its glory like it didnt even notice. Not retracted in the least. Move your clam over a little so it stays happy - as a clam??!!

Archived