SaltCritters.com

20L De-Rimmed

avalanche1201

avalanche1201

During the Petco 1$/gal sale I picked up a 20L and was able to come across another one. Now that summer is approaching I will begin the build of the tank. I will make posts throughout the process in this thread and switch it over to the Members Aquariums section once I have the tank wet with sand and rock:

Display Rendering:

20L-dimensions.jpg

Overflow is based off of BeanAnimal's design over on RC.

1" Bulkhead overflows from Left to right:

Emergency Standpipe

Siphon Standpipe

Open Channel Standpipe

A mag 9.5 with a possible SCWD will provide the return from the sump below. The returns are located on the left and right w/ 3/4" Bulkheads. These will both be fitted with locline to help direct flow.

My initial Sump Rendering:

sump-dimensions-1.jpg

Stand Design is the works and will post once I finish a rendering.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for looking

-Scott

• 4 months later...
avalanche1201

I got the sump built up over the week and de-rimmed the 20L. Pictures of the de-rimming still need to be uploaded and will be up soon

Final Product

IMG_1247.jpg

Water Test

IMG_1255.jpg

-Scott

avalanche1201

Some photos I took during the De-Rimming process...All I've got right now is my iPhone but I am currently looking for a dSLR so eventually the photos will become much better.

Before:

IMG_1234.jpg

During:

IMG_1235.jpg

Finished:

IMG_1319.jpg

Edge Closeup:

IMG_1320.jpg

I'll be purchasing some diamond tip hole saws so I can start drilling the glass

Some photos I took during the De-Rimming process...All I've got right now is my iPhone but I am currently looking for a dSLR so eventually the photos will become much better.

Before:

IMG_1234.jpg

During:

IMG_1235.jpg

Finished:

IMG_1319.jpg

Edge Closeup:

IMG_1320.jpg

I'll be purchasing some diamond tip hole saws so I can start drilling the glass

You are a brave man! I say fill it with water before you go much farther. My 20L has a lot of bowing...with the rim on.

Tim

avalanche1201

Here's a prelim stand rendering made with 2x4's. I still need to add doors and things of that nature but this is what I have so far

Stand Frame:

Stand-Frame.jpg

Stand Frame with Tank and Sump:

Stand-FrameTank.jpg

Stand Skinned:

Stand-SkinnedTank.jpg

devilsadvocate

an overflow that big really isnt necessary. and more holes means greater chance of cracking the tank.

You are a brave man! I say fill it with water before you go much farther. My 20L has a lot of bowing...with the rim on.

Tim

agreed

with 3 holes he will be able to make it completely quiet, but yes I agree it can crack easier. Makes it that much sweeter when it works ;)

avalanche1201
with 3 holes he will be able to make it completely quiet, but yes I agree it can crack easier. Makes it that much sweeter when it works ;)

Exactly...the three standpipes will allow the system to run silently.

Emergency Standpipe (Left side, Fail Safe 1):

-Capped standpipe with an up turned elbow slightly above the siphon standpipe. If the water gets backed up and reaches a certain height it will create a full siphon and help drain the overflow.

Siphon Standpipe (Middle):

-Capped standpipe with a down turned elbow running at full siphon

Open Channel Standpipe (Right Side, Fail Safe 2):

-Standpipe with airline tubing attached at the top...if the full siphon standpipe and the emergency standpipe are not draining the system the airline tube will become submerged..this will create a full siphon and help drain the overflow.

As for the extra holes I feel confident if I take my time drilling I will be able to achieve what I am looking for without cracking the tank. I am also considering having the loc-line return run up and over the tank instead of through a bulkhead. This would eliminate two holes and allow me to further space out the three strand pipes.

Also it's finally a nice day out so I am going to fill up the de-rimmed tank to check for bowing with measurements front to back empty and full. From the threads I have found and read people have had success with de-rimming a 20L and would not suggest doing so on a 20H or anything larger.

Thanks for checking in on the build

-Scott

edit: Standpipe order from left to right looking at the tank

avalanche1201

Few quick pictures of the water/bow test:

Empty:

empty.jpg

Empty Measurement Middle:

bow-empty.jpg

Full:

full.jpg

Full Measurement Middle:

bow-full.jpg

It appears the tank is only bowing about 1/16" in the middle of the tank. Based from what I have read and from seeing others have success with a 20L de-rimmed I am feeling confident this will hold.

• 2 weeks later...
avalanche1201

I picked up some 2x4's on Sunday so I can start framing the stand. However, today at work I was thinking about it and was thinking of adding 3" to the depth of the stand so I would be able to create some more room inside the stand for an ATO and would not need an exterior bucket next to it.

By doing this though I feel like it looks a little ridiculous with the amount of room up top in front of the display tank. Of course I can just move it more towards the middle of the stand after I frame it. New and Old renderings are below...let me know what you think

Old:

Total Front to back dimension is: 1' 7 1/2"

LookDown-Reg.jpg

New:

Total Front to back Dimension is 1' 10 1/2"

LookDown-Deep.jpg

Thanks for looking

-Scott

I picked up some 2x4's on Sunday so I can start framing the stand. However, today at work I was thinking about it and was thinking of adding 3" to the depth of the stand so I would be able to create some more room inside the stand for an ATO and would not need an exterior bucket next to it.

By doing this though I feel like it looks a little ridiculous with the amount of room up top in front of the display tank. Of course I can just move it more towards the middle of the stand after I frame it. New and Old renderings are below...let me know what you think

Old:

Total Front to back dimension is: 1' 7 1/2"

LookDown-Reg.jpg

New:

Total Front to back Dimension is 1' 10 1/2"

LookDown-Deep.jpg

Thanks for looking

-Scott

Nice! Will you use a floor in your stand? It looks like the sump is going to be on the beams in the drawing.

avalanche1201

I'll be adding a floor in there as well. Initially I was thinking just beams but I'll want another tank or container down below with the sump for an ato. It should also help distribute the weight more evenly

• 4 months later...
avalanche1201

Long overdue and not giant update.

Progress hasn't improved greatly.I will start to purchase the equipment as soon as I can. I am tired of setting up something up and wishing I did something different so I won't be getting rock sand or water until I have everything I am looking for to make it successful.

Below are pictures of the stand build:

Laying out the parts

Picture005.jpg

Base underway

Picture011.jpg

My buddy helping measure out the legs:

Picture012.jpg

Together:

Picture007.jpg

Possible resting place:

Picture013.jpg

I will cut plywood floors for the top and bottom. I'm thinking of also cutting out a base to come flush with the tank...I will have to mess around with cardboard to see what works. I was thinking of skinning the outside of the stand but I sort of like how it looks right now. However, I will put doors on the front and I'm thinking of getting eggcrate and painting it black to put on the side to prevent wandering cats from entering the sump area.

Thanks for looking

avalanche1201
Nice build so far, but is there a story behind all of the cars on the roof?

Thanks. And not much behind the cars...my dad just collecting them from the recycling center one day and tosses them up on the roof and smaller ones around the base of the house. They are currently off the roof though because we took them down when Irene started heading our way....He also has a "Tonka Tree". Its a pretty big Pine Tree with tonka trucks tied around the trunk heading on up to the top with lights. I've got some pictures I took of it at night in the snow that I'll get online later tonight.

I think you've talked me into derimming my 20L that I'll be buying soon

Awesome, I was nervous at first but after looking around and finding people had success with them I went ahead and tried it. Held water on the first test and Once its all drilled and plumbed I'm going to give it a longer water test outside to see how it holds. I'm confident I won't have any problems though...and it looks so much sweeter without the top trim on it.

Might go pick up some eggcrate today during lunch so I might have another update coming up soon...at least sooner than it took for the stand build update

avalanche1201

I picked up some eggcrate the other day to add to the sides of the stand to help close it up but allow plenty of ventilation at the same time. Spay painted em black, picked up some 3/8" x 36" square poplar dowels and cut em to size to make a frame and used the scrap pieces to hold it in place in back

Side Vent:

Picture015.jpg

I also hung a power strip in back with a couple nails.

Picture014.jpg

next move is modifying my 36w Current USA light so I can hang it above the fuge. Will post pictures when I complete that step.

Thanks for looking

Archived