Pod Your Reef

Jarquarium Challenge

Whys

Updates anyone?

Lol, I looked at my jar tonight. Still looks the same. I figure that is a good thing, any changes would probably be bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay here's the first pic of mine. It's been up for about a month now. I seeded some dry rock that I had lying around in my DT for about two weeks before putting it in the jar. The LED lamp from Lowes is on a 8-hr light cycle timer. Not much to look at, but I did notice some decent sized amphipods scurrying about yesterday.

In retrospect, I probably should have used liverock, but we'll see what happens.

post-55375-1339086655_thumb.jpg

albertthiel

And if I may ask where do the attempt to get this to work stand now ?

Albert

Alright, everybody seems to privately feel that the jar itself is an unimportant matter. Behold my powers of intuition. :D

I gently disagree and have given my reasoning. I will continue to promote mmcguffi's jar selection and jar replication in general, while acknowledging that the group has deemed it irrelevant. :)

Given the above, I will likely purchase more of my own jars, the very same jars, for purposes of exact replication.

Does anyone know if the filamentous algae in the ecosphere is anything special or hard obtain? Is it just long green hair algae? Could I just pull some from my overflow?

Pj is not a braggart. He has genuine cred. There's a real difference.

Frankly, I welcome his enthusiasm for success and have no doubt he will share all necessary information, as circumstance dictates. :)

Sorry if that wasn't obvious.

rb1685, I like your choice of jar. :)

I saw those in both that size and the size I use, as well as a couple other sizes, all at Walmart. No annoying wooden wafer in the bottom, either. They really are a great jar.

I need to know for the show case, is that photo current or from earlier? Also, do you have a separate thread for it?

Thank you for joining!

And if I may ask where do the attempt to get this to work stand now ?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you wish to know more about Pj's jar, then I recommend sending a private message. He has remained pretty tight lipped about it so far.

edit: Oh wait, I get it now. Sorry, but I don't actually believe Pj for a moment. I didn't want to say it, but you forced my hand. :]

Edited by Whys
rb1685, I like your choice of jar. :)

I saw those in both that size and the size I use, as well as a couple other sizes, all at Walmart. No annoying wooden wafer in the bottom, either. They really are a great jar.

I need to know for the show case, is that photo current or from earlier? Also, do you have a separate thread for it?

Thank you for joining!

I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $7. I took the photo yesterday afternoon (6-6-2012). I don't have another thread. That's the first picture I've taken. I'll try to start taking a weekly picture as things progress.

It seems to be stabilizing a bit - the bubbles at the surface (nitrogen I presume) are beginning to dissipate, and the cheato is showing some growth. I started with a pair of Asterina stars in there, but I don't think they survived the first few days. I have a few collinista snails in the display tank, so I might move those over to the Jar in a few weeks to help clean the jar a bit. The amphipods I saw where pretty large (about 3-5mm in length), so if they can survive, then I think a couple of small other organisms might be able to. Thoughts?

I have a bunch of small live rocks covered in blue clove polyps. I'm thinking about starting another jar just for them.

I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $7
...the bubbles at the surface (nitrogen I presume)...

Do you know if there is an easy way to test for nitrogen? Just curious.

I started with a pair of Asterina stars in there, but I don't think they survived the first few days.

This has been the shared result so far.

I have a few collinista snails in the display tank, so I might move those over to the Jar in a few weeks to help clean the jar a bit.

Please do. :) Some how I missed getting any in my jar the first time, but suspect they might do well.

Thoughts?

Too many. :D

I have a bunch of small live rocks covered in blue clove polyps. I'm thinking about starting another jar just for them.

Very cool... best of luck!

Looking forward to your results.

I got a huge amount of gracilaria from reefcleaners a year ago. I mean HUGE. I paid $10 for 2; I got one medium piece and one quart size. So I put it in a jar. I will upload pics of the brown, dead, thingy.

The pico jar is stable. Here is a video I took today. Also I will be posting some pictures. I believe the the live rock I had used had a different bacterial equilibrium than most reefers begin with. The live rock was used from my small pico when it went through a crash. I took the rock out and let it sit with minimal water movement for 2 months in a separate container. Then when I was about to dry the rock I saw that there was still life. So I decided to create a pico jar with no equipment except a light. A few months later, it is still running strong.

The pico jar is stable. Here is a video I took today. Also I will be posting some pictures. I believe the the live rock I had used had a different bacterial equilibrium than most reefers begin with. The live rock was used from my small pico when it went through a crash. I took the rock out and let it sit with minimal water movement for 2 months in a separate container. Then when I was about to dry the rock I saw that there was still life. So I decided to create a pico jar with no equipment except a light. A few months later, it is still running strong.

steaming_pile_of_whipped_cream.gif

It's late. I'll have more to say tomorrow. :]

Not much to update on mine. The amphipods are still running around. I've counted two so far. I saw the head of a Sipunculida Worm the other night, but it was moving quite slow, so it's probably going to die. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks to see if the "cycle" looks like it's over, then I'll add a couple collinista snails.

I also have an old nassarious snail with some unknown palythoas on it. I've been trying to get rid of it because it is so ugly :P, so maybe I'll throw it in the jar to see what happens.

Edited by rb1685

Pj that's pretty slick its holding color longer than I would have guessed and the briareum and polyps are holding longer than is guess too

You crack the lid occasionally and add protein somehow ? Surely it hasnt just been capped 5 mos?

Pj that's pretty slick its holding color longer than I would have guessed and the briareum and polyps are holding longer than is guess too

You crack the lid occasionally and add protein somehow ? Surely it hasnt just been capped 5 mos?

Lid has 2 holes at the top. Currently my girlfriend has had the jar for the past 2 months. She moved it twice a driving distance of 8 hours.

During the transportation about 10-15% of water was removed so there was no spilling during the drive.

No other water changes have been made.

A very small topoff is done with RODI water every month to month and a half

The mini brittle starfish didn't make it longer than 2 months.

The asterina starfish has been missing the past week but most likely is hiding or dead.

Everything else has been very stable

The amphipods have multiplied and coral growth rates are very slow but steady.

Nothing else has been added to the jar.

Some interesting notes is that, there is constantly small bubbles being produced from the rocks. I believe this is the bacteria releasing gases after the consumption of nitrates. Also the algae seems to have reach an equilibrium where small portions grow and small portions die.

Jacob042426

I'm in! Im on my way home from Ross with one big jar and a bunch of tiny ones that I plan on bringing to camp. I would like some pointers on things when I am setting them up. Sand? Critters? Algae?

Thanks!

:D

I'm in! Im on my way home from Ross with one big jar and a bunch of tiny ones that I plan on bringing to camp. I would like some pointers on things when I am setting them up. Sand? Critters? Algae?

Thanks!

:D

Try to use live rock that has been in harsher conditions, such as the ones the jar will sustain (low light, little water movement, varying temperatures).

Also critters should come from conditions like the ones listed above.

Best thing is to grab some live rock with life and make it go through very harsh conditions before setting up the jar. Take the surviving critters and corals and put it in the jar.

Also algae seems to keep everything in balance. I use caulerpa peltata as the main one.

That is how I started.

My jar came from Michael's, pretty cheap 5 bucks.

Jacob042426
Try to use live rock that has been in harsher conditions, such as the ones the jar will sustain (low light, little water movement, varying temperatures).

Also critters should come from conditions like the ones listed above.

Best thing is to grab some live rock with life and make it go through very harsh conditions before setting up the jar. Take the surviving critters and corals and put it in the jar.

Also algae seems to keep everything in balance. I use caulerpa peltata as the main one.

That is how I started.

My jar came from Michael's, pretty cheap 2 bucks.

Thanks pj! I'm going to get some rubble and keep them in the bags and throw them around a little. :)

AquaticEngineer

After proving my proof of concept with the larger temperate eco-spheres, I decided to try something a little smaller and with a nicer looking anemone.

The "tank" contains native sand out of an established bowl, 1 Moonglow Anemone (Anthopleura artemisia), 2 kinds of algae one of which is more like a tidal moss that I collected only around the upper edges of high tide zone pools.

And of course the always loveable Tigriopus Californicus as the food source for the anemone and eater of decaying algae.

Its only been up for a couple days, but my other bowls have been going since December and the anemones are still kicking.

Anyone else doing a shot glass sized tank?

IMG_20120614_130047.jpg

IMG_20120614_130202.jpg

IMG_20120614_130218.jpg

IMG_20120614_130324-1.jpg

IMG_20120614_130324.jpg

Edited by AquaticEngineer

I have a responsibility here. I don't take it lightly. I don't have time for this, but I will do what needs to be done. :)

Pj, allow me to be very clear. If you are going to make such outrages claims in this thread, then the burden of proof is on you. You are claiming to have outdone the collective efforts of NASA's decades of work, practically over night, without even trying.

Magic liverock? That is your defense? Magic live rock? I'll make this easy. I wouldn't want your girlfriend to be without it for any length of time. So you build me another jar, just like that one. I'll wait. Once you feel it's ready, I'll pay for shipping: NEXT-DAY UPRIGHT. You tell me the precise conditions to keep it under, and for each month it remains in good condition, I will send you a check for $1000.00, up to a maximum of 5 months.

Don't believe me?

Or maybe you think it's worth more than that? Then I expect to see these jars on store shelves shortly. Otherwise you can STFU and GTFO. Got it?

Why's Ill send ya a jar once done. The pico is getting taken down and I wouldn't mind replicating the crash, leaving it in a tank for a month and then building the jar.

I dont know how the jar is surviving, I can take parameters and maybe put a live web cam feed for the current one.

Also, Why, you should take the offensiveness a notch down. Just ask and you should receive everything you want to know about the jar. If you want me to try to replicate the jar I will. I hope you are a man of your word and send me that check for each month.