inTank Media Baskets

Jarquarium Challenge

Whys

I found two jars at my local store one looks like the one on the first page the second is alittle bigger close to a half a gallon not sure which is a better idea for the experiment. I might be able to fit more stuff in it but it would also cause a larger Bio load.

Actually I think it would be better to use the same jar as much as possible!

But I really like to try a jarquarium and I cannot get that particular jar in my country...

I'm interested to see how the amount of light affects our "jarsphere" and what the lack of current will do to the growth of the macro algae we want to grow.

Maybe it would be smart to identify the most significant parameters that would influence whether our jars would survive in the long run,

More or less like a simple research program, a base group with just the bare minimum like the biosphere from nasa and experimental groups which could all test a different parameter.

Or we could just all try something different and by trial and error we may find a reliable concept!

Jb

I think the thing I'm most excited about is to see how long the single mussel will live in the biotope and work as a filter for the shrimp. :D

Gut load with carbon? :D

If that works out, everyone's gonna be asking you for muscles.

I'm interested to see how the amount of light affects our "jarsphere" and what the lack of current will do to the growth of the macro algae we want to grow.

Maybe it would be smart to identify the most significant parameters that would influence whether our jars would survive in the long run,

More or less like a simple research program, a base group with just the bare minimum like the biosphere from nasa and experimental groups which could all test a different parameter.

Or we could just all try something different and by trial and error we may find a reliable concept!

I'd be happy to work together on an ecosphere attempt. That's all I'm actually trying for.

Tho I'll happily buy Pj's reef-in-a-bottle once it's on the market. :)

For algae, I think you're right to focus on flow. I'm going to try what ever simple algaes I can find growing in the slowest flow I have.

Once the jars arrive, I'll test algae growth with an open top until I find one that seems suitable.

Edited by Whys

I dont need flow? heat? light?

Only using room temp and window light? correct!! So this will not impact the hydro bill lol

What to add into the jar? Ive got a 1 gal glass jar with screw on plastic lid.

can you post pictures of the 15 year old aquarium

I bought this as a birthday gift for my wife, before we were married. It came with 3 shrimp and a tuft of algae. The tuft hasn't been visible since a few months after I bought it, and 2 of the shrimp died early on. I suspect the lower bioload and released free nutrients has helped him to survive so long. If one thinks about it, he has probably recycled their atoms more than once.

ecosphere_12yr_a.jpg

ecosphere_12yr_b.jpg

The sand bed is definitely gotten grungier, but the shrimp still seems perfectly happy. :)

Does anyone know if there is a date stamp hidden somewhere on this thing?

*Edit: turns out it's 12 years old. Proof provided later in this thread.

Edited by Whys

Incidentally, I've placed a Show Case in the first thread. If you'd like me to update the photo or add a link to your thread, just PM me.

Please give a date for your photos. Thank you. :)

• Like 1

I'm coming in. Just need to finish off some pickles...(scronch munch chew)... OK all done.

Is there a dealine for submitting a jar?

Edited by asid61

Lol, been busy preparing for med school exams...

The biotope is actually a gift for my girlfriend, just making sure it is stable before I give it to her.

I bought the container from Michaels, and it is sealable. My intentions was to create 2 small containers that are connected to each other through an aqualifter. One container contains the macro and the other very hardy corals/some macro. I want it sealed so no maintenance is required (they come with lids).

So far I feel the Caulerpa peltata is doing an amazing job at keeping the biotope stable. This species is know to proliferate quickly, so quick that it depletes the nitrate really quickly. I can see that some of the Caulerpa is starting to die while another part is starting to grow, I hope it remains that way. Corals look happy. I included 3 other species of macro that I don't know the name of, they just were growing under very little light in a tank which had some live rock. I also included in the biotope:

1 asterina starfish

2 Brittle starfish

Some GSP

Random Zoa

Remnants of a toadstool

The light is the stock JBJ 3 gallon picotope light. Currently I see dozens of copepods having the blast of their life in the biotope.

I will try to write up more details once I have a little bit more of time.

Hope that helps

AquaticEngineer
Incidentally, I've placed a Show Case in the first thread. If you'd like me to update the photo or add a link to your thread, just PM me.

Please give a date for your photos. Thank you. :)

I'll try and get an updated photo of the larger one thats been going since 12/27/11. Also I'll see if I can get some better macro shots of the tank inhabitants as well as a list of the common and scientific names of everything.

I guess I should probably start my own thread to compile info and then you can link it to here for reference. Is there a common sub forum that everyone is puting their threads in? Picos? Biotopes?

Edited by AquaticEngineer
Lol, been busy preparing for med school exams...

pshh like that's a legitimate excuse. what a slacker

it's pretty incredible if I do say so myself. Is it completely sealed to the air? and Im correct in saying it doesnt have any water movement right? what kind of light are you using?

really awesome stuff :)

AquaticEngineer

Question for those of you running completely enclosed tanks with corals in them. How to you plan to keep the system going when quick growing soft corals like star polyps will use all of the iodine in the water and then have nothing to continue growth with?

Also what would you do for other trace minerals that are depleted by soft coral growth?

Calcium would be an easy fix by either using crushed coral substrate or some kind of shell that will easily give up its calcium into the water.

That was one of the deciding factors in the livestock I chose for my tank, and also the reason for leaving mine as a open top tank. I wanted to be able to do a water change on the system and bring everything back into equalibrium easily if needed.

Are you all planning to leave you systems completely sealed? Or intending to do water changes on them?

I'm coming in. Just need to finish off some pickles...(scronch munch chew)... OK all done.

Is there a dealine for submitting a jar?

Yes. You must submit a jar before you lose interest. :)

Question for those of you running completely enclosed tanks with corals in them. How to you plan to keep the system going when quick growing soft corals like star polyps will use all of the iodine in the water and then have nothing to continue growth with?

Yeahhhh... Pj?? :D

Here's a thought... two rubber valves, like the kind they use on basketballs, plus two syringes. Insert an empty syringe in the out-valve and your dose of whatever on the in-valve. This would provide the ability to perform a highly controlled water change/dose, without breaking the seal inside the jar.

It also allows for a high degree of documentation. Please document.

Edited by Whys

The valve idea is great!

But I think it is cheating.... Atleast of your goal is NO maintenance and making it truelly selfsustaining.

Then again it wil be necessary if one would like to keep a hardy coral and also if the system is not yet in balance, I was thinking of adding a thin hollow pipe through the lid down to under the waterline for adding or removing water. (easier than those valves)

Jb

The valve idea is great! But I think it is cheating....

Depends on what people are going for. I want to recreate an ecosphere, so in that case yes, it would be cheating. But I do like the idea of experimenting with something more complex as well. While highly controlled and limited feeding and water changes would be a possibility, I'm actually more interested in using it for water tests. 5cc's of freshly mixed water in, and 5cc's of testable water out. :)

For those who wish to create full reefs in a bottle... great way to dose a little iodine.

I wouldnt say it's my jar selection...

You sir, are too modest and deserve some real credit. :)

Call it intuition... ;) ...but when you first suggested that jar, something inside told me that you had spent weeks studying it along side others. And indeed, now that mine have arrived, I am convinced!

What's not to like about this jar? It's acrylic! That means it's both über clear and drillable. It has a flat clear lid-top, terrific for modifying. It's a 100%-wide-mouth jar! The walls are an eighth of an inch thick with no raised edges anywhere inside. And despite such a thin edge, the top still seals like a son-of-a-god! The collar and lever look like aluminum, but in fact they're nickle coated steel! That makes it sturdy, rust proof, and magnetic, as evidenced by my ammonia alert badge held in place by only one half of a magnetic clip, leaving a nice clean look on the outside.

When filled with fresh water, objects inside are slightly magnified, but not terribly distorted. Mostly it just flattens the depth perception, and that's perfectly normal. The playing card in the zip-lock in the photo below is inside the jar against the back wall. For the jar that is upside down, the playing card is outside the jar against the back wall.

The lever works with a gentle touch. No struggling or spilling when opening or closing. Did I mention it's nickle coated steel? :]

Originally I just wanted to add some sand, algae, shrimp, and call it done. But now that I have this thing, it keeps calling out to be tricked-out!

Acrylic Humidor Jar:

jarquarium_humidor.jpg

[shop online]

Until someone can show me a superior jar or make a good argument for how this is bad one, I fully intend to continue to promote and advocate for it.

Note: it comes with a circular wooden waffer attached inside to the bottom with a small square of double-sided tape. The waffer isn't hard to yank out with a hooked tool, but it leaves behind some of the tape. I strongly recommend AGAINST using any kind of solvent to remove it. If it doesn't melt the acrylic, it'll probably prove toxic later. Instead, use a good rough textured hand towel to scrub it off until there is no trace of even a smudge.

Edited by Whys

I got confirmation from the creator of the

that simple green hair algae should work. Incidentally, they claim to have had success with Chaeto as well. Personally, I find that surprising.
DIY Cube Nano Man

I've had a half filled 2 liter cider bottle running for about 3-4 months now, wasn't anything to do with Jarquariums so far, but I have had the lid off since i started it and never touched it since filling it up 4 months ago (colony of tiger copepods/some hair alage/some macro and a few small rocks i could fit thought the jar opening). After reading this thread imma go buy me some more cider bottles/ enjoy the contents/ and then make me some more of these - fill them with different stuff and have a go at jarquariums like you guys!! I'll post pics when I have all 3 set up. And try to give an update every month. Do you think i should put the caps back on and make it like a sealed bio-sphere. FYI the bottle was filled with rosie's cloudy apple cider - very good jarquarium like bottle shape in my opinion except for the small opening....

AquaticEngineer
Since shrimpspot.com is currently out of Hawaiian Red Shrimp, I found another source: petshrimp.com

I ordered 5 shrimp! :)

No idea when they'll get here.

Dang that is dropping some coin on shrimp B)

I dont know if anyone is interested, but the the shrimp I am using in my jars I have access to literally 1000's of them and I am set up to legally collect them and sell them. They are Sitka Shrimp (Heptacarpus Sitchensis)