Pod Your Reef

Past the $1000 mark...

Singlefin

So quickly I passed the $1000 mark. I've seen large tanks for sale for $1000 and thought I would never spend $1k on a tank. Look where I am now. If only the wife knew. Well, it's actually her fault. " Honey, can we get a saltwater tank? It's not that hard to maintain. It's only $200". Good luck.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So quickly I passed the $1000 mark. I've seen large tanks for sale for $1000 and thought I would never spend $1k on a tank. Look where I am now. If only the wife knew. Well, it's actually her fault. " Honey, can we get a saltwater tank? It's not that hard to maintain. It's only $200". Good luck.

bahaha yea.. uhh it adds up quick - the LFS will sell ya on oh you can set one up cheap - little do you know at the time the addiction to coral and equipment..

Even worse when you decide you want a camera that can take good photos of your reef tank. It's always safe to say that a reef tank will usually cost $100 per gallon on the lower end.

reaching the 6k mark soon on my 25g...plus the 1300 i just dropped for a nex7 and close to 2k more for some lenses...and i wont have the camera til beginning of april..ugh

I'm only at $300... but I don't have a light no corals or fish and I got 10lbs of live rock for only $25 after discount! I have a felling I'm going to be in the 1k area not to far from now!

$1400 is about where I'm at from several money wasting mini-upgrades, MH bulbs and the like.

I've learned however, and I know how to reef cheap(er) after my mistakes. I'm hoping to pull of a 75 gallon setup for under a K with great lighting although I get free base rock, sand, fish and such :)

I find that burning money is a cheaper hobby.

No really, I've spent over 2K on the hobby in the past 3 years, and currently $800 in the hole for my 75g. It makes me sick to think of the money spent on frags that have melted/stolen by pistol shrimp/lost.

Luckily I am not in the hobby to make money, I just do it to keep me entertained. Like an expensive form of gardening.

andrewguilfoy

i'm at $1200, and I don't even have live stock yet.. oh well.. lol

edit: okay maybe 1400 :o

p.s. Lawnman, over 10k! wow! Wanna buy me something? ;) just kidding, your tank looks amazing. Worth every penny.

Archived