Coral Vue Hydros

Jarquarium 2qt. sealed experiment

ajmckay

Pics? :huh:

Yeah, everyone's asterinas always go first. My amphies didn't last long either and really polluted the water when they died. The polychete worms seem to do the best so far from what I've seen.

I couldn't tell you with the chaeto. I've had it fail under a lot of different circumstances. Seems like if you have a high bioload and lots of light, it does very well, but otherwise, not so much.

Might be interesting to see if I could get a jar going with nothing but a ball of chaeto and cup of skimmate. :D

Yeah... I'm so doing that!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, the pics are all up on my phone now. I'll have to upload them.

Interesting note... I took off the lid and the light and just left the jar alone and it's developed a really nasty surface film and it smells now.

While the jar was sealed at least there was no surface film and believe it or not it didn't really smell bad at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey! Yeah sorry I forgot to post them...

Well here are some pictures.

As I noted the jar actually smelled fine when I opened it up. Only after leaving the top off did it start to smell.

I will say that as of the time when I opened it up there didn't seem to be any visible life in it other than maybe a worm or 2 as I did see trails in the sand.

post-39800-48663_thumb.jpg

post-39800-6422_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
Rob in Puyallup

Hi AJ,

I'm not a big fan of the "ecosphere" sort of tank, but I know many have kept Opae Ula (Hawaiian Red Shrimp) in them successfully, at least in the short term.

I have loads of them in three tanks. They require brackish conditions, BTW...

Archived