Coral Vue Hydros

Lion's Coral Den! Kessil, Rics, Zoas, Palys!

buddythelion

The yellow rics are nice. I will be looking for some soon once my 40 breeder is set.

One question. Why do you use a rubberband instead of just cutting the rics?

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The yellow rics are nice. I will be looking for some soon once my 40 breeder is set.

One question. Why do you use a rubberband instead of just cutting the rics?

I've always thought of cutting them as riskier. You're cutting into the ric and leaving their wounds open. Using the rubberband method, it slowly splits them over a period of time. They split on their own due to the stress, and I feel that it's a much safer method.

Would love to see your 40B. And happy ric hunting! Yellow wasn't cheap for me and I don't know many people with them. I want me an orange crush ric... When I get enough excess funds to find it worth it anyways. B)

ALRIGHT GUYS, BIG BIG BIG UPDATE!!!!

GOT SOME REALLY COOL NEW ADDITIONS...

PAIR OF DONI CLOWNS!!!! <3333

I'll let the pics do the talking. Goes from unwrapping to them going into the tank!

20120210_134331.jpg

20120210_134419.jpg

20120210_134521.jpg

20120210_134536.jpg

20120210_134623.jpg

20120210_134751.jpg

20120210_135243.jpg

20120210_142727.jpg

20120210_142733.jpg

Picasso 1, left side:

20120210_142744.jpg

right side:

20120210_142816.jpg

Picasso 2 right side:

20120210_142840.jpg

Left:

20120210_142826.jpg

Here's the Paradise Zoa I got off ebay for $4.99 from Mr. Coral. Was worried at first after reading some of his reviews, but they came in really nicely and are starting to open up:

20120210_135219.jpg

20120210_135307.jpg

20120210_135418.jpg

20120210_143244.jpg

20120210_143251.jpg

How are you going to keep 3 clown fish in such a small tank? They are amazing though, I wish i had the funds for a pair of picassos like those.

Let alone with all those other fish in there. How are they not fighting or decimating the tank? Looks like you have 6 fish in a 12 gallon?

How are you going to keep 3 clown fish in such a small tank? They are amazing though, I wish i had the funds for a pair of picassos like those.

Let alone with all those other fish in there. How are they not fighting or decimating the tank? Looks like you have 6 fish in a 12 gallon?

You're absolutely right, I have no intentions on keeping the 3 clowns. Forced to buy the pair for a single one. Will be selling one of the new ones soon.

The blenny mainly eats algae and the two yasha gobies only stay in one area of the tank, so territory doesn't seem to be an issue so far. Clownfish are so much more interesting as a pair. :)

Nice set up you got. Love the ric's/paly's,zoa's.

Thanks MaxiMini. :)

I used to have a maxi mini nem for about 6 months. Then all of a sudden out of no where I had this fear that it would eventually eat Poseidon, who is obviously worth more than it, so I took it out. Mini nems are very beautiful though.

love your tank! So how many fish total do you have in your 12 gal? I JUST am setting up my new 12 gal JBJ nano dx today..got the sand and liverock in and water! Now time to cycle.

I had a question about the add on skimmer basket..how in the world do you keep it from "floating up" mine has a little bracket that hangs over the edge, but as soon as I let go, it floats up about a 1/4"......any thoughts??

You're absolutely right, I have no intentions on keeping the 3 clowns. Forced to buy the pair for a single one. Will be selling one of the new ones soon.

The blenny mainly eats algae and the two yasha gobies only stay in one area of the tank, so territory doesn't seem to be an issue so far. Clownfish are so much more interesting as a pair. :)

Agreed. I wasn't trying to sound accusatory either btw, I was very curious because I thought you had stumbled onto some kind of clownfish secret lol. Did you observe their behavior before removing one of them or did you just take out the extra guy right away?

Sucks that you had to shell out the cash on the pair, hope you get half the money back from the sale. Amazing tank also my friend. You must have extremely well disciplined tank husbandry to keep all those fish in that small tank. Congrats.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to sound accusatory either btw, I was very curious because I thought you had stumbled onto some kind of clownfish secret lol. Did you observe their behavior before removing one of them or did you just take out the extra guy right away?

Sucks that you had to shell out the cash on the pair, hope you get half the money back from the sale. Amazing tank also my friend. You must have extremely well disciplined tank husbandry to keep all those fish in that small tank. Congrats.

My observations... So Poseidon (the already established one) is already fairly aggressive to the new comers. But one of the new comers is even worse. The one that I want to keep out of the two is getting bullied by both. So both were caught and let to cool off in a net before being re-introduced into the tank. Right now Poseidon and the new one (Athena) are the only ones swimming in the tank. He's getting used to her presence and there's only mild chasing now. All natural in the pecking order for clowns.

My tank schedule is to change about 30-40% of the water every week or when algae starts to build up too much on the glass. Reason I can get away with this is because I have mostly hardy corals such as zoanthids and ricordea, where a slightly dirtier water doesn't impact them as much as SPS.

love your tank! So how many fish total do you have in your 12 gal? I JUST am setting up my new 12 gal JBJ nano dx today..got the sand and liverock in and water! Now time to cycle.

I had a question about the add on skimmer basket..how in the world do you keep it from "floating up" mine has a little bracket that hangs over the edge, but as soon as I let go, it floats up about a 1/4"......any thoughts??

Uhm... Temporarily 6. I would advise against this though. I'm going to be selling one of the clownfish hopefully soon. Remember, more livestock = more waste = more work!

Ahh... I remember when I first set up my tank. I didn't have tester kits so I threw in an amphipod each day to see if it would live. When they did, I knew my tank was alright! Needless to say I had an amphipod dominant very soon... LOL.

And skimmer basket = surface skimmer? I'll take a video to show you how to use it. Gimme a min... Confused me at first as well.

No video, auto focus isn't working, so only pics. Hope they make sense...

Back chamber/tank should not be completely full. Should be around this... slighty above the waterfall from chamber 2 to 3.

20120211_232258.jpg

Next, put the surface skimmer add on as high up as you can:

20120211_232317.jpg

20120211_232332.jpg

The force of the water being sucked in should keep it in place

Lastly, since you were a little above the water fall, the water should start filling into the tank to try and reach up to water level of the surface skimmer, thus decreasing the water level in the 3rd chamber and should look like this:

20120211_232415.jpg

Note the waterfall, you just want to have a slight one. Hope this helped!

New Candy Apple Reds and Spiderman Zoas!

I thought the Candy Apples were paly sized... They're a lot smaller than I thought.

20120211_224627.jpg

20120211_224615.jpg

Wow your collection of zoas is amazing! They are my favourite coral pretty much... So hardy and so many different colour choices :)

Hardy, colorful, and grow! Haha. Best combos ever!

thanks for the pics buddy.

Hmmm...all 3 of my rear chambers have the same amount of water in them currently. My surface skimmer is different than yours. It has a clear acrylic "hook" in the center that hooks over the edge of chamber 1. I hook it over, but the water makes it raise up..it won't stay in place. I do have one black sponge still in chamber 1, do you think this is causing my water levels to all be the same? I have a Maxijett 900 in the last chamber for the return pump, but then in the tank, I have about 6 inches of "lock line" with just 4 tiny "jets" built into it almost like a spray bar..do you think this is causing too much back pressure and creating too much water in the back chambers too? I'll take some photos and post them so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks for your photos again

Dan

thanks for the pics buddy.

Hmmm...all 3 of my rear chambers have the same amount of water in them currently. My surface skimmer is different than yours. It has a clear acrylic "hook" in the center that hooks over the edge of chamber 1. I hook it over, but the water makes it raise up..it won't stay in place. I do have one black sponge still in chamber 1, do you think this is causing my water levels to all be the same? I have a Maxijett 900 in the last chamber for the return pump, but then in the tank, I have about 6 inches of "lock line" with just 4 tiny "jets" built into it almost like a spray bar..do you think this is causing too much back pressure and creating too much water in the back chambers too? I'll take some photos and post them so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks for your photos again

Dan

I... have no idea what your surface skimmer is. Hahaha! But I'm sure we can figure it out.

Ditch the sponge. I used to have it in their and all it did was catch garbage, which is a good thing. The bad thing was that all the junk would actualyl stay in their and build up nitrates, which equals a much dirtier tank. I would strongly advise investing in this: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Nano-Cube-12-...sket-NC12MR.htm

IMG_9926.jpg

Pricey, but just think of it as an exceptional piece of equipment. Worth every penny and was one of the turning points in my tank. Put filter floss in chamber 1 of the basket, Purigen in chamber 2, and then Chemi-Pure Elite (basically is carbon with some other goodies to help phosphates) in chamber 3. This is a combination that most people used and I decided to go for once I researched around. You can get all of this at Steve's site (the link I provided with).

12616284244401835384967.jpg

1266645324492-1643304867.jpg

12503981842311260740549.jpg

Spray bar... I would just get rid of the spray bar and attach this:

194.jpg

The hydor reflector isn't as bad as people say it is. It gets stuck once in a while, but nothing a little help can't do. Be sure to get some teflon tape handy since the adapter to fit the return pump isn't tight enough and wrapping the tape on the end of the hydor will make it thick enough.

Should end up looking like this:

IMG_2703.jpg

(Pic is from an RC's nano tank thread).

Unsure if you have one yet since I couldn't find your thread, but get a koralia nano as well for some more water circulation. It's cheap and does a decent job.

B03mQBWk28KGrHqEOKnIEw8oQtmz5BMY7EiTs_35.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions... because we have the exact same tanks! :D

Quick note, most of the images are from inTank's website, and are not mine.

Wow! Your tank is awesome!!! You have most of the corals that I one day hope to have! Armor of Gods and an amazing Ricordea garden! Just wondering... does the orange or the green from the Ricordeas pop under actinics also?

Also... I love your Picasso clown!

Wow! Your tank is awesome!!! You have most of the corals that I one day hope to have! Armor of Gods and an amazing Ricordea garden! Just wondering... does the orange or the green from the Ricordeas pop under actinics also?

Also... I love your Picasso clown!

Thanks dfcn07! I just saw your thread. Looking good for 3 months! Being in SoCal, finding corals should be easy for you. B) Everything slightly neon/metallic will pop under actinics, haha. Doesn't your hermit crab?

Thanks for the clowns compliment! Right now Poseidon is getting used to his new mate... Athena! He's being a bully right now though so he's in a "breeder box" so he can still see her while she gets used to and gain confidence around the tank. Crossing my fingers they get along...

Archived