Coral Vue Hydros

Lara's 40B

Aqualara

A couple more pics!

This is the only photo I've been able to get of my new red saddle anthias (I have three of them):

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/oboedoctor/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsedda4a6a.jpg.html'>image_zpsedda4a6a.jpg

This is part of my red hornet stash (it grows like a weed for me; I am thinking of selling some frags):

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/oboedoctor/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb6291db8.jpg.html'>image_zpsb6291db8.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrated. Things always seem to go wrong in my tanks, and I try SO HARD to keep things on the right track. I'm willing to put in the work. Sometimes, it seems like it's never enough. This is why, in the past, I have given up on tanks and have started from scratch. Here are the two issues I have been dealing with:

1. Cyano - I have had this problem for over 6 months now.

I know, I know. My nitrates are too high. My phosphates are too high. Well, the tests say they are zero. And yes, I know you will all say that's because the cyano is using it up. Sigh. I have been doing 25% water changes twice per week for over a month now. I have vacuumed the sand bed in parts. I have siphoned off every last chunk of cyano I could find. I have cut down feeding. My photo period is 8 hours. I have LED lights, so I know the bulbs don't need to be changed. I have added new carbon and chemi pure. I have switched to more wet skimming to get as much gunk out as possible. What's the deal??

2. My zoas are mad.

They were growing pretty well until I started trying to fix the cyano problem. I thought maybe the tank water was "too clean", so I've been target feeding them reef roids and mysis. I feed them once per week and do a water change the next day. Some of my zoas are growing like mad and sprouting new polyps every few days, and some of them are doing terribly. I have pretty good flow (AC 110, Koralia 750, 550, and 240), and these zoas have been in the same location for months. I will say that a few of them were new -- utter chaos, mandarin oranges, and oompa loompas. And no zoa pox. I checked.

The ones doing well: Sunny Ds, red hornets, radioactive dragon eyes, kedds reds, insane rainbows

The ones that have completely melted: utter chaos, mandarin oranges

The ones that are currently melting: laser lemons, oompa loompas, eagle eyes -->(for real)

TLDR? -->I hate cyano. Why are my zoas melting?

If anyone has any suggestions that I haven't tried, I welcome any and all advice. Thanks.

Got desperate and peroxide dipped my zoas. Some of the polyps were open yesterday before the dip, but none are today. I guess I killed them :tears:

Archived