ReefCleaners.org

Lara's 40B

Aqualara

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One problem currently:

My pocilloporas are angry. On one of them, all the polyps are closed, and they've been that way for almost a week now. The other pocillopora has open polyps on top, but the ones on the bottom half of the frag are closed. I've changed water, added a new skimmer, and added purigen and new carbon, and I took out the AC 110 sponge for good. What's wrong then? :( Are two kessils not enough? How low do I need to get my nitrates? Also, I've been doing large water changes, so I can't imagine that I'm missing any calcium or mag or whatever else. Is there anything I haven't thought about?

Photo update! Finalized the 'scape by moving around some rocks on the left side. I managed to get a better picture, too :D

Top down shot of a maxi mini

DSC00677.jpg

Half of my maxi mini garden (the others moved around... :angry: )

DSC00676.jpg

Another top down shot (though this coral is actually yellow in real life)

DSC00678.jpg

FTS!

DSC00674.jpg

Right side:

DSC00670.jpg

Left side:

DSC00669.jpg

Other views

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

Yeah Maxi Minis are annoying they move constantly. People told me they don't move much at all but the two I've had move the whole length of the tank every few days hehe.

Baby dendros/sun corals are doing really well :D They've been eating cyclop eez and though they don't look any bigger, they're alive! I have 6 that I can see. SO cute!

I might be getting a few new things in a week or two. My birthday is coming up :D Probably some maxi minis and acans.

A few new additions will be here next week! Here's what I will be getting:

Fish/inverts

Pom pom crab

tailspot blenny

Coral

Red monti digitata

yellow torch

a purple, blue, and green lobo

a marigold colored paly

aaaaaaand.....This beauty!! (photo by Aqua SD)

RainbowMille.jpg

Just a few photos to share :) Also, I'm considering rehoming my cherub angel. She nips at everything. Just a little, and she hasn't damaged anything I can see, but it can't be good for the corals, can it?

Ringo Starr!

DSC00706.jpg

NEW Rainbow/yellow mille (looks more green than I had hoped):

DSC00713.jpg

NEW Purple lobo!

DSC00716.jpg

NEW zoas:

DSC00714.jpg

OLD Pocillopora

DSC00719.jpg

OLD rainbow speckled lobo:

DSC00715.jpg

NEW Yellow torch (my favorite!!!!)

DSC00712.jpg

Kitty loves to sit on my stool:

DSC00704.jpg

What's this? It was a hitchhiker and I freaked and threw it away when I found it:

DSC00699.jpg

Nano sapiens
What's this? It was a hitchhiker and I freaked and threw it away when I found it:

DSC00699.jpg

Yea, that looks like the underside of something nasty :o

My best guess would be an Isopod.

• 3 weeks later...

Tank problems :-( Corals are dying or mad, and I don't know why.

So, posted a thread on the water chemistry forum, but there isn't any consensus yet on what caused the issue. Might be multifactorial, and likely contributors are high nitrates (levels were 5-10), low Ca, alk, Mag, or something else...?

Corals lost:

Yellow Mille

Pink pocillopora

+/- GARF bonsai

Photos of what's going on:

Yellow mille one week ago:

DSC00713.jpg

Yellow mille in the front with flesh gone; pink pocillopora behind it looking pretty dead :-(

DSC00769.jpg

Pink lemonade pocillopora a week ago (I've had this coral for 3 months):

DSC00719.jpg

And now:

DSC00776.jpg

Dendros look fine:

DSC00774.jpg

Lobo looks fine:

DSC00773.jpg

Yellow torch just a little "wilted" (improved)

DSC00770.jpg

Mille not open, zoas fine, acan sorta mad:

DSC00772.jpg

Zoas mad:

DSC00775.jpg

Duncans half open, zoas mostly open (improved):

DSC00771.jpg

A friend of mine came over yesterday to take some photos of the tank. Here they are!

052712LarasTanks051.jpg

052712LarasTanks050.jpg

052712LarasTanks048.jpg

052712LarasTanks029.jpg

052712LarasTanks024.jpg

052712LarasTanks011.jpg

052712LarasTanks013.jpg

Darth Mauls

052712LarasTanks007.jpg

Top down darth mauls

052712LarasTanks044.jpg

My favorite lobo

052712LarasTanks008.jpg

Lavender and green palys

052712LarasTanks012.jpg

Fire and ice?

052712LarasTanks018.jpg

Pink rainbow palys

052712LarasTanks020.jpg

Dendros!

052712LarasTanks046.jpg

My yellow torch

052712LarasTanks043.jpg

Acans

052712LarasTanks041.jpg

Sponge Bob Favia

052712LarasTanks040.jpg

Whammin' Watermelons

052712LarasTanks034.jpg

Duncans

052712LarasTanks023.jpg

Yellow maxi mini

052712LarasTanks030.jpg

Purple maxi mini (recently cut)

052712LarasTanks027.jpg

Orange Maxi mini

052712LarasTanks028.jpg

Oh...and my kitty!

052712LarasTanks056.jpg

Sorry to hear you're suffering some losses. :(

However, I was immediately captivated by your rock-scape when I clicked on your thread.

It looks GREAT! :D

-Wizzy :happy:

Sorry to hear you're suffering some losses. :(

However, I was immediately captivated by your rock-scape when I clicked on your thread.

It looks GREAT! :D

-Wizzy :happy:

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm trying to catch my cherub angel today because I think that she's part of the problem... She loves the coral way, way too much. Hopefully my fish trap will be successful. And hopefully the problems will subside once she's gone.

A few more photos:

052712LarasTanks003.jpg

052712LarasTanks004.jpg

052712LarasTanks005.jpg

052712LarasTanks006.jpg

052712LarasTanks014.jpg

052712LarasTanks016.jpg

052712LarasTanks015.jpg

052712LarasTanks026.jpg

052712LarasTanks038.jpg

052712LarasTanks009.jpg

Deleted User 4

Love your lobo!! I see you have white spots growing in the back.. better start scrubbing those coraline off before it's too late!!

Beautiful pics. Hope you get your problem sorted out. My turbo snail is pushing things around. Thinking of getting rid of him but he's doing a good job. Good luck.

Love your lobo!! I see you have white spots growing in the back.. better start scrubbing those coraline off before it's too late!!

The spots are actually purple, but I kinda like it! I'll keep it that way for now, but once there are significantly more, I'll scrape it off. They're pretty easy to scrape off, actually.

Beautiful pics. Hope you get your problem sorted out. My turbo snail is pushing things around. Thinking of getting rid of him but he's doing a good job. Good luck.

Thanks!

FINALLY caught my cherub angel. I really, really hope things will get better after this. I'm convinced that she's the one damaging my coral.

• 1 month later...

I'll take some photos when I get home tonight :)

For anyone who is reading (help!):

Ikeep having a few problems here and there, and I'm not sure what's going on. I do larger water changes than everyone else, but my nitrates still crawl up and my corals aren't happy. I only feed about 4 times per week, and I don't feed that much. I target feed just enough to make the fish visibly plump.

My torch looks stringy. My zoas grow a bunch of new polyps and then randomly melt away to nothing. I have cyano on my rocks and a bronze looking algae coating my sand.

Any advice? It's 40 gallons, I have a skimmer, and I change about 12 gallons per week.

I'll take some photos when I get home tonight :)

For anyone who is reading (help!):

Ikeep having a few problems here and there, and I'm not sure what's going on. I do larger water changes than everyone else, but my nitrates still crawl up and my corals aren't happy. I only feed about 4 times per week, and I don't feed that much. I target feed just enough to make the fish visibly plump.

My torch looks stringy. My zoas grow a bunch of new polyps and then randomly melt away to nothing. I have cyano on my rocks and a bronze looking algae coating my sand.

Any advice? It's 40 gallons, I have a skimmer, and I change about 12 gallons per week.

Sorry to hear about your recent issues..Whats your current parameters(temp,PH,sg,alk,cal,nitrates,mag)?

• 6 months later...

Hi all!

I haven't updated in 6 months, but the tank is doing well! Since I last posted, all the fish are doing very well. I have lost a few zoas to random melting here and there, my lobo ate an acan, but everything else is still there and growing.

I will include some comparison photos to show you the growth I've had in the past 6 months. I also have some new coral coming tomorrow and the next day, and I am pretty excited :-D

Oh...also....My clown is hosting my torch!!!! I have been wishing for it to happen since I got the clowns. Finally!

FTS (lights just came on, so the torch is deflated)

aquarium053_zpsaf4bd3ac.jpg

Darth Mauls on May 28 2012

052712LarasTanks044.jpg

Darth Mauls Jan 29 2013

aquarium048_zps7850161f.jpg

Birdsnest on May 28 2012

052712LarasTanks026.jpg

Birdsnest on Jan 29 2013

aquarium059_zps3b917322.jpg

Pink birdsnest when I first got it in March-ish 2012

DSC00599.jpg

Pink birdsnest on Jan 28 2013

aquarium054_zps1ca32151.jpg

My favorite acan

aquarium066_zps06e4b383.jpg

My clown in his "house"

aquarium057_zpsbbc82c2c.jpg

My bonsai encrusting

aquarium070_zpsa38c4d80.jpg

Sunny Ds

aquarium067_zpse14a35e9.jpg

Lobo

aquarium061_zps88111811.jpg

Pink zoas

aquarium064_zpsff875774.jpg

Top down shot of two maxi minis and my crocea

aquarium071_zps35f143a9.jpg

Left side

aquarium063_zpse7190049.jpg

Right side

aquarium062_zpsf0b8153e.jpg

• 11 months later...

Long overdue update!

In July, I moved from Norfolk, Virginia to Columbus, Ohio for work and made a trip especially for the tank move. I kept all of the live rock in buckets and all the coral and fish in individual bags. I put my large birdsnest in a tupperware because it was huge and I was afraid it would puncture the bag. The birdsnest didn't make it.

I put the live rock in buckets the night before (with powerheads) and left the fish in the tank until the next morning. Overnight, I lost a clown and tailspot blenny :tears:

The birdsnest was my only other loss and everything has been doing great! I recently bought a midas blenny but he is currently in QT. I might post pics later of the move (haven't uploaded those yet...), but in the meantime, here are some crappy phone pics of the tank:

FTS

image_zps4cae27db.jpg

Some zoas

image_zps3a767be6.jpg

New zoas from Tenor - I've had them 3 days but there's one that never opened :scarry: )

image_zps4cf1b47d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New acans (and a green and yellow lobo)! Taken with my iphone camera. I really, really need to learn how to take photos. And I need a better camera.

image_zps841fcf18.jpg

New acans (and a green and yellow lobo)! Taken with my iphone camera. I really, really need to learn how to take photos. And I need a better camera.

image_zps841fcf18.jpg

oh WOW !!!! Gorgeous :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Archived