Cultivated Reef

Lara's 40B

Aqualara

Water parameters for day 9:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

A few updates about what happened this weekend:

I fed the dendros some mysis yesterday and it was awesome. I've never fed corals before, and it was so cool to watch the dendros close in on the shrimp. Tried to feed the maxi mini, but I don't think it ate anything...

Also, I was originally worried about my starry blenny because he wasn't eating anything I put in the tank, but this weekend he ate mysis like a champ, and I think he ate some of the nori I put in there, too. And the clowns eat like little piggies.

Over the weekend, a few of my nerites climbed out of tank and died. I figured it would happen eventually, but I didn't think it would be that soon. I was at the outer banks for part of the weekend, so I didn't see it happen and I couldn't do anything about it.

Lastly, I heard that the meteor shower cephastrea I have prefers shade, so I put it in a lower light area in the tank. I noticed that it had a few white spots on it, and I don't know if that's what "bleaching" is, but yesterday I moved it to an even lower light area. It's literally in the shade. I don't know if that's what I should've done, but I guess we'll see what happens this week?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things are going well :-)

Fed the dendros again yesterday; I'm hoping they'll grow fast :D I'm going to skip feeding anyone today, just because I think I may have overfed yesterday. I haven't seen any ammonia or nitrite, but I want to keep it that way. I'll be testing the water later on today.

I had ordered corals last week, and they just came in today :-) I'll post pics later when everything is open and happy, but here's a list of what I got:

sponge bob favia

japanese deep water tri color zoas

green birdsnest

pink pocillopora

orange maxi mini

I put the maxi mini where I wanted it, but it moved over to the back of the rock so that I can't see it from the front :angry: Is it easy to peel a maxi mini off to move it?

Also, I'd like to buy some putty for when I decide on final placement for my corals. Is there a certain type that I should get? Where do I get the putty from?

Is my tank ugly? Just curious, because I've posted 4 updates, and one of them with a crap ton of photos, and nobody has commented on any of the updates. If it is ugly, can you tell me what's ugly about it so I can fix it? Thanks :)

tank's looking real good, im a sucker for 40breeders. i want to set one up but i have no room for one now. i really like the rockwork in the tank.

Thanks!

I noticed that my dendros have a few small black areas on it. If I had to describe it, I'd have to say that it looks charred. Is that what it is? Did I have it under too much light? I moved it now, because I know that they don't need light. It has been eating really well though.

As far as the dendro is concerned, after quite a bit of research, I think the tissue has just receded in a few places, and I've narrowed down causes to two things. Either the flow was too high, or my frogspawn stung it. The frogspawn was about 4 inches away from the dendro, but now I've moved the dendro to a lower light, lower flow area away from the frogspawn.

here is a photo of it, followed by photos of a few corals.

Oh also...anyone know how to get these pictures less blue? My pictures don't capture the true color of any of the corals. They're much brighter in person.

Oh and unfortunately, here are my water parameters today (day 11)

Ammonia: 0.25 (WHY NOW?!)

Nitrate: 10

DSC00488.jpg

Green birdsnest

DSC00478.jpg

Pink pocillopora

DSC00477.jpg

japanese deepwater tri color zoas:

DSC00475.jpg

Sponge bob favia

DSC00476.jpg

Frogspawn

DSC00483.jpg

Starry blenny :wub:

DSC00484.jpg

Water parameters day 15:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 15

Did a 15% water change yesterday, but maybe I should do another one to get those nitrates down lower? What do you think?

Everything seems to be going really well!

1. I had 0.25 of ammonia for a couple of days, but it quickly returned to zero. Never saw any nitrites.

2. I don't know what was up with the dendros, but they open up every day like a champ and eat really well.

3. The corals I got from Mr. Coral either never opened, or they did and now they're dying. At least I got a free clam...

Plans (and questions) for the near future:

1. Mod AC110 into a fuge. Just bought silicone, and will get some chaeto on Thursday.

2. Another kessil ocean blue. Probably within the next few weeks.

3. Another fish. I want a purple firefish, and I know they're jumpers. Aside from that issue, is it a good fit for the tank? Updated stock list is on my first post, but basically, I just have two clowns and a starry blenny.

4. Will get rid of that dry rock on the left, because it's an eye sore. Then will replace with a very low rock to round out the 'scape.

5. MOAR CORAL!

Questions:

1. Purple firefish a good fit?

2. Why did my yellow maxi mini go hide?

3. Why is my red and green favia from Mr. Coral turning white?

Pics now:

Clam from Mr. Coral and sponge bob favia from philyouraquarium (AWESOME).

DSC00506.jpg

Happy green birdsnest from cultivated reef:

DSC00505.jpg

Magicians from philyouraquarium.com:

DSC00503.jpg

Orange maxi mini (the yellow one moved behind the rock...why?)

DSC00516.jpg

STARRY BLENNY! :wub along with galaxea, maxi mini, red and green favia, and japanese deep water tri colors (oops...with an aiptasia. I need to get on that tonight):

DSC00519.jpg

Side shot of tank:

DSC00513.jpg

Front FTS:

DSC00510.jpg

Enjoy :-)

Tank is looking very nice! It will look even better with the 2nd led when you get it. Make sure you check you cal, alk, and mg since you have a clam/sps.

I was considering buying a test kit for that, but what products do people use to dose? No point in testing unless I plan to dose, also. But yes, I'd like a lot more SPS, so I know that I'll need to start dosing.

If the salt you are using has the levels that your inhabitants require than you should never need to dose. I stopped adding anything outside of what is in my salt mix and maintain one water change a week and have never had params lower or higher than what I feel the stuff in my tanks requires. On the other hand, you need to test. If calcium is not being absorbed because magnesium is low....calcium will slowly ramp up. This is true for many parameters. Something directly and indirectly affects something else in our closed environments. Not testing is just asking for something to put your tank and its inhabitants into a tailspin.

There are many easy to use test kits. I use API and it has worked fine. Just make sure when you add something new that you have a test kit that will allow you to check levels that creature requires to be in check.

I remember when I first started I would impulse buy fish or coral from the LFS and get home and then do a little research and find out that I probably just sentenced my new specimen to death. Unfortunately it happens but the more you prepare your tank or are prepared BEFORE you bring something home or make an order the more your tank and its inhabitants will thrive.

The scape looks great and you have a lot of room for plenty of corals.

Have fun

If the levels aren't right for calcium, etc, then what do I do? Water change? What is the purpose of testing if you're not going to dose anything?

I guess I'm used to freshwater planted where I dose either macros or micros + iron daily.

Yes do a water change. Then test again and if you elements are still not were they need to be, then I would change salt mixes or start dosing. You test your water to see when your parameters swing. This could be vital if there is ammonia present. This why you get a head start to do a water change before something kills your livestock. Most of the time your parameters should stay level but if you did something different or added something or changed the way u maintained the tank, then your testing can make sure any problems are found hopefully in time.

Scape growing on me. Tank looks awesome!

Yay!! :D

Yes do a water change. Then test again and if you elements are still not were they need to be, then I would change salt mixes or start dosing. You test your water to see when your parameters swing. This could be vital if there is ammonia present. This why you get a head start to do a water change before something kills your livestock. Most of the time your parameters should stay level but if you did something different or added something or changed the way u maintained the tank, then your testing can make sure any problems are found hopefully in time.

I'm already using Reef Crystals as my salt, and I know a lot of people use that on here. So if I do need to start dosing....what is it that I need to buy to do that? I just want to stay on top of things. It is common to dose?

Oh, and once again....purple firefish a good fit for this tank?? I really want to go buy one today, but only if no one says it's a bad idea!

My current fish list is:

2 ocellaris clowns

1 starry blenny

Would this tank have the space for 2-3 more fish? I was thinking of:

purple firefish or green banded goby

a jawfish of some sort

a dwarf angel (coral beauty probably?)

Any comments on that?

I was considering buying a test kit for that, but what products do people use to dose? No point in testing unless I plan to dose, also. But yes, I'd like a lot more SPS, so I know that I'll need to start dosing.

Need to see if your animals are using it up. Clams Suck Calcium down.

You won't know if you need to dose unless you test first.

+1

Here I just started with my first dose EVER. This helped me ALOT.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Has some good information on what reacts with what etc.

Also I am using the Brightwell Products, the last page of my thread has the names, Alkalon, Magnesion, and I need to get the Calcion.

GL looks great! If you want to keep them happy and healthy you need to test and if it drops way quick like mine did, sometimes a WC just won't keep them in check.

A firefish would be alright as long as the other fish don't become too aggressive towards it. If that happens, it will only hide.

Do you have a cover/hood? Firefish love to try to carpet surf, especially when just introduced to the tank.

@FlCandy: Thanks! What test kit are people using?

I'll definitely be reading that article. Just not at 6AM :D

@Paigee: Yep, I'll be making a screen for the top of the tank this weekend.

I'll think about the firefish. I don't want it to get bullied, and I have no way of knowing how my fish will act toward it.

I got a cherub pygmy angel today :-)

The firefish just looked boring to me. They also had a zebra or bar goby, but I dunno. The cherub was just so darn cute. One I acclimated it, it went to hide. I may not be able to get a photo for awhile. But he's in there!

Also got some chaeto and will be making the fuge on Saturday.

Fuge made :)

I ordered Red Sea Pro test kits for Mg++, Alk, and Ca++, and I was surprised at the results.

Calcium: 440

Magnesium: 1360

Alkalinity: 7.3/2.6

So. what do I do now? :scarry:

Archived