inTank Media Baskets

Jmifland's 40 Breeder!

Jmifland

Jmifland's 40 Breeder

I have been planning and building this aquarium for almost a month. I will be moving into an apartment with my girlfriend at the end of February. The day we move in I am going to be setting up the aquarium and beginning the cycle. Until then I will be collecting the equipment and setting up the tank.

Update: 2/3/2012 - Everything has been purchased and the only major step that needs to be finished is the sump. The chambers need to be created and the plumbing needs to be completed. Was going to build a canopy for the tank but for the time being it is going to be topless until I decide that I want to build a canopy.

Current FTS:

IMG_0763.JPG

Equipment List:

Display: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder (Purchased and Drilled)

Sump/Refugium: Aqueon 20 Gallon High (Purchased and Compartmentalized)

Stand: Custom Built (Completed)

Powerhead: Vortech MP10 (Received)

Controller: Digital Aquatics RKE NET (Purchased)

Lighting: (2) AI Nano Super Blue w/ Controller (Received)

Substrate: (40 lbs) Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite (Received)

Rock: (50 lbs) Florida Reef Rock (Reef Cleaners) (Purchased)

Stock List:

(2) True Percula Clownfish (Own)

(2) Banggai Cardinalfish (Future)

(1) Sunburst/Fathead Anthias (Future)

(1) Miscellaneous Fish (Future)

(1) Porcelain Crab (Own)

(1) Emerald Crab (Own)

(1) Cleaner Shrimp (Own)

(3) Blue Legged Hermit (Own)

(1) Miscellaneous Hermit (Own)

Pictures will be uploaded tonight!

Update: 2/6/2012 - Floor has been placed with two more supporting beams underneath. Entire inside has been painted black. Sump compartments have been finished and tested to hold water without leaks. The only thing left to do is set up the plumbing and then do a complete water test on the entire tank. Cycle will begin on 2/29/2012 when I move into new apartment.

Tang police is going to be all over you with the powder blue in there!

Seriously though looks good, jealous of your equipment list and you have some nice fish going in there, love the fathead anthias.

Yeah, I went a little overboard on the equipment list but I figured that if I ever want to upgrade to a larger tank I won't have to purchase that much in new equipment. I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon so this will work for my dream aquarium. :)

I have been thinking about adding a Red Stripe Angelfish as the miscellaneous fish. It will definitely be an angel and I am really liking the Red Stripe. I also ended up purchasing two Phosban Reactor 150 from MarineDepot so I will be putting them to use once the cycle has completed.

Filled Tank with Stand:

IMG_0761.JPG

Filled Tank and Sump:

IMG_0763.JPG

Return:

IMG_0767.JPG

Overflow:

IMG_0768.JPG

Nice man! Love that stocking list. The anthias may get a bit big...but I love them. I've been trying to decide if I want to shell out the $$ to buy a trio. I've always heard 40bs can be bottom drilled. Looks like they can!

Nice man! Love that stocking list. The anthias may get a bit big...but I love them. I've been trying to decide if I want to shell out the $$ to buy a trio. I've always head 40bs can be bottom drilled. Looks like they can!

What is the trio? I contacted Aqueon and they told me that all sides of the tank can be drilled. I wanted to keep the tank as flush with the wall as possible so we drilled the bottom :) I have a new stocking list now:

2 x True Percula Clown

2 x Banggai Cardinal

1 x Fathead/Sunburst Anthias

1 x Lemonpeel Angel

I know that the Lemonpeel Angel can nip at corals but I am willing to take the chance since my girl friend really likes this fish. I think it will add some amazing color to the tank as well.

A trio of Anthias. They look awesome when all swimming around together. The only fish I've ever had that really went after my corals was a butterfly. Got rid of him...

A trio of Anthias. They look awesome when all swimming around together. The only fish I've ever had that really went after my corals was a butterfly. Got rid of him...

The only reason I went with this Anthias is because it was originally considered a hawk fish. It does do some free swimming but most of the time it will sit upside down in a cave and wait for food. Was originally thought to be a hawkish but was changed to an Anthias.

Archived