Pod Your Reef

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

Looking @ Mounting Bracket

I have long since chosen a Manhattan Reef Member make me a custom bracket that I will then secure through the heatsink. This item will be painted to match the wall. Cords will run through the wall and be hidden not down the wall hidden by the molding. Let's look at the original design by[/b]saltwaterinbrooklyn[/b]

a8SYi.jpg

8FHo9.jpg

Utlhg.jpg

Now lets take a quick look at how I would like to alter these. I would like the hollow portion of the stem to be used to route wires (grey arrow with black outline) and I would like the bracket to attach to the back of the AI light via a hinge (black rectangle, 4 red dots) to flip up and out of the way during tank maintenance.

I did this quick mock up, is it uneccesary to have the hinge since I will have these high enough AWL to not have them interfere with tank maintenance? I for sure want to route the wires though. Open to all thoughts on this.

O27Ey.jpg

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much for the nice detailed thread. I was thinking to save some money to go with Cadlights not Elos but after seeing what happened to your tank, I am definitely having 2nd thoughts now. Sorry to hear all the troubles you went through so far, hope everything will work out for you. Subscribed and following.

After taking a trip to lowes I found the connection to be used @ the bulkhead.

I now understand why I was so confused.  I thought I was threading to the exterior dimensions of the bulkhead, ya know where the nut is.

Silly me didnt realize I was supposed to be finding a transition fitting for the inside.

I have this right now, please confirm:

1" drain bulkhead to 1" slip & 1/2" return bulkhead to 3/4" slip.

4mint.jpg

Will be painted black to match the bulkhead with the rest of the plumbing being gray sch 80.

Now I have my sump sorted, all electronic equipment sorted, plumbing sorted and rock is about to hit its 3rd week in the bins.

Some misc items are coming next week like my Pinpoint Salinity Monitor, Hanna Phosphate checker.

I would love to wire up all the equipment to the panel but that has to wait till the tank is sitting on the stand.

I hope by then my cycle will be completed in the bins.

I have not done a water change in them yet. 3 week ammonia, nitrite, nitrate will be done Sunday 3/18 to see where we are at.

Last pieces are new tank from cadlights, stand from tonyT, and custom light mounting arms.

3/31 is the latest I want to be wet by. :TOM

Now I have my sump sorted, all electronic equipment sorted, plumbing sorted and rock is about to hit its 3rd week in the bins.

Some misc items are coming next week like my Pinpoint Salinity Monitor, Hanna Phosphate checker.

I would love to wire up all the equipment to the panel but that has to wait till the tank is sitting on the stand.

I hope by then my cycle will be completed in the bins.

I have not done a water change in them yet. 3 week ammonia, nitrite, nitrate will be done Sunday 3/18 to see where we are at.

Last pieces are new tank from cadlights, stand from tonyT, and custom light mounting arms.

3/31 is the latest I want to be wet by. :TOM

Curious? Why the salinity monitor? Why not a controller w/ salinity module? Just wondering

Curious? Why the salinity monitor? Why not a controller w/ salinity module? Just wondering

I have the Apex light and do plan to add a salinity monitor to that controller one day.

Right now though I would like to have a portable salinity probe to drop into:

• mixing container just before water change
  • quarantine tank
  • display tank

Marine Depot Haul. Not shown is the Salifert Ammonia Aquarium Test Kit & Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter that will be here next week.

OpdIo.jpg

Now I can finish my Salt Water Mixing Station

CsFTd.jpg

fDWt9.jpg

I really appreciate the details of this thread. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks tizzite.

Question time

I am performing my 3 week tests of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in my 2 tubs today.

On some rocks still exist a little sponge like dark organic material. Some are accessable to scrape off while some are in nooks and crannys. Should I get off what I can with a brush in a separate container or leave it alone?

1OUEb.jpg

Thanks tizzite.

Question time

I am performing my 3 week tests of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in my 2 tubs today.

On some rocks still exist a little sponge like dark organic material. Some are accessable to scrape off while some are in nooks and crannys. Should I get off what I can with a brush in a separate container or leave it alone?

1OUEb.jpg

If it is a sponge and it has been exposed to air, it should now be dead. If it still survives then it's probably something else. I would say go ahead and scrape it off just to be safe.

You can always add good stuff later on, but removing bad stuff isn't as easy.

I'd try to remove as much a possible.

Get a small wire brush for paint stripping or something similar.

My dry rock has been soaking for a couple weeks.

I know I'll need to scrub it again before it goes in.

Sometime this week then I will remove those pieces that need scrubbing and do so in a separate RODI filled bucket. After scrubbing and swishing I will then place them back in the cycling buckets.

Another question, when do I change this dirty water that the rock is cycling in?

Not until nitrite goes to zero and all I am left with is nitrate?

Week 3 Cycling

I am now using Salifert Test kits for Nitrite and Nitrate.

I am still using AP Test kit for Ammonia till my Salifert arrives.

I have not started testing phosphates but will do so after the rock makes it to the display.

I now have a Pinpoint Salinity monitor that I will begin use next week.

wcBND.jpg

It looks like we are out of the Ammonia stage and deep in the nitrite stage with nitrate through the roof as well.

When do I change this dirty water that the rock is cycling in?

Not until nitrite goes to zero and all I am left with is nitrate?

O27Ey.jpg

Just a note from my draft drawing above the stem that mounts to the wall is a hollow cylinder.

This allows the wires (black and grey arrow) to run down its center.

I am not sure if it is worth it to integrate the hinges to flip them up and out of the way for tank maintenance.

I probably should ditch that in favor of making something height adjustable. Thought?

Call into CADLights today.

The tank is slated to ship Wednesday. I requested pictures of the tank prior to shipping or I would flat out refuse the package. No use in him shipping it to me if it is not 100% like I asked. This is a very simple request but again one I made with the 1st tank that was never fulfilled (pics prior to shipping).

I also demanded my CC be refunded the $200 for the stand that I decided not to purchase. This is the 3rd week in a row I have not been refunded that amount.

Kudos for sticking to your guns and making sure that your custom tank order is to spec. As it should be! That's the definition of custom yes? It seems to me that there are more than the usual number of suspect vendors in this particular hobby, when I compare the horror stories here and elsewhere to experiences with forum members in my other hobbies (principally photography and motorcycling). Naturally, every vendor makes mistakes from time to time, it comes down to whether and how those mistakes are addressed.

I love everything about this build... the fabulous sump, control board layout, and water change system among other details. Your attention to detail is very inspirational. Best wishes on the success of it!

Thanks for the kind words mostro. I owe a lot of my planning to Urbanek's on this board.

I put planks across the top of the tank I have now to see the orientation of the lights. I do not need the hinges, there is enough room.

Being able to move them higher or lower from the water line is something I would want though.

The small problem is the diameter of the stem attaching to the back of the AI unit would have to be pretty narrow.

At the same time the stem to be able to snake the wires through must be fatter.

So the stem is going to have to be shapped like a Pool Stick.

Narrow at the tip to bolt onto the AI unit and fatter as it gets to the wall allowing me to drill out a hole in its side to pass the wires through.

4458.jpg

Pinpoint came in. It needed calibration before use as it was a little off.

I used a double shot glass so the probe would be fully immersed with the small amount of calibration solution provided.

Swish to remove any trapped air bubbles.

Readings out of the box:

l4YTk.jpg

Screw on the left is for adjustments:

XVhA0.jpg

Reading just right:

O6pS9.jpg

Thanks for the kind words nickjqz.

When I was reading the calibration instructions I saw American Marine Inc.'s location address and it is actually 8.1 miles from me, who knew!?

Just wanted to say thank you for detailing your experience with CADlights. It was a large part in my decision to *not* go with them for my custom build. My limited interaction was an email quote I received from Eddie. I asked about the steep shipping cost they added (over 50% more than their largest aquarium package ships for) and he never responded.

I went with another builder for my custom tank and sump and I couldn't be happier thus far.. Put in the order on March 11, received pictures of the builds on March 19. Exchanging emails has been pleasant and prompt.

I hope you finally get the tank you wanted out of those guys. I can only imagine how frustrating it is to have things delayed. Especially when you got all the equipment there and ready to go.

Looks good. I like the clear silicone. I also like the overflow in the corner allowing a much larger viewing area.

You are giving me ideas for my next build.

Look forward to seeing this progress (without further issue hopefully).

Thanks tokendog.

Here is my last dry goods order:

4JbXS.jpg

The only thing left is the tank which should ship this week and the stand which has not been built yet but I am taking the exterior paint color to the builder on Saturday and hope to confirm all the design details then.

Archived