Pod Your Reef

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

I seen someone on Reefcentral 1with a radion on a 40 gallon breeder, and I was shocked at the coverage it lit it up pretty well.

I cannot find the a 50g breeder or similar like I have 36x18x18 with a single radion mounted.

I did find this thread

with this picture that is over a 75gallon tank. While he will have serious corner darkness it gives me hope that with 12 less inches of width I may be able to get away with 1 Radion.......................if you find a 3 foot tank with 1 Radion please let me know! I am ok with having any SPS within the middle 2 feet of the tank and 6 inches on each side placing zoa's and other corals where there is less light. I am also OK with mounting the single rarion 10 inches AWL to achieve this.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cannot find the a 40g breeder or similar like I have 36x18x18 with a single radion mounted.

I did find this thread

with this picture that is over a 75gallon tank. While he will have serious corner darkness it gives me hope that with 12 less inches of width I may be able to get away with 1 Radion.......................if you find a 3 foot tank with 1 Radion please let me know! I am ok with having any SPS within the middle 2 feet of the tank and 6 inches on each side placing zoa's and other corals where there is less light.

Keep in mind that once you add rock in there, a lot of light will be blocked since it's all coming from a single point. Unless your rock scheme is either flat, sparse or pyramid shaped ;)

I think I'm going to go with 3xAI's. I just can't justify the extra dough.

I can do 2xMP40's with/ back up battery and 3x AI's + $100 for the price of 3 Radion's.

I know I am no help to you...lol I have been bouncing this back and forth as well .

I think I'm going to go with 3xAI's. I just can't justify the extra d ough.

I can do 2xMP40's with/ back up battery and 3x AI's + $100 for the price of 3 Radion's.

I know I am no help to you...lol I have been bouncing this back and forth as well .

I hear you. I am leaning AI at the moment as well.

Looking @ Apex Lite

Took delivery late today. Was only able to unbox the items. Quick question. There was no power brick to power the unit where all the probes and ethernet cables tie in. Was my shipment missing this item? See last picture:

All components

HNFcG.jpg

Display Unit

ya5dC.jpg

Standard Grade PH probe

jVUUm.jpg

Control Unit missing ac adapter that plugs into far left hole?

kI8Qw.jpg

Saw the AI Sol Blue and the Radion's side by side today on a 100g.

Do I like the Radions more? Yes.

Do I Iike them $300+ more per fixture? No.

Being able to see the AI's in person and get hands on with the controller I was able to dial in settings that were pleasing to my eye along with shimmer..............that had healthy % distribution........and did not look like the tank was full of windex.

Saw the AI Sol Blue and the Radion's side by side today on a 100g.

Do I like the Radions more? Yes.

Do I Iike them $300+ more per fixture? No.

Being able to see the AI's in person and get hands on with the controller I was able to dial in settings that were pleasing to my eye along with shimmer..............that had healthy % distribution........and did not look like the tank was full of windex.

That's good to hear!

Looking @ Mounting 2 AI Sol Blue's

Two options here that I am considering. I will have 2 units so each would need to cover an 18x18 square.

How I envision my rock work I would mount them length wise. With that there are 2 options.

Adjusting the stock mounting rains to make the 2 units hang separately like this. Thanks for the inspiration Flexin

6867539417_745cf0e5b9_z.jpg

Having a Manhattan Reef Member make me a custom bracket that I will then secure through the heatsink. This item will be painted to match the wall. Cords will run through the wall and be hidden not down the wall hidden by the molding. Thanks for the inspiration Kenconnect & saltwaterinbrooklyn

a8SYi.jpg

8FHo9.jpg

Utlhg.jpg

Thoughts?

I am choosing option number 2 and making a deal with tokendog for his lights so he can try t5's and I can try out some LEDS. Thanks guys!

In the meantime I picked up some cabinet LED motion lights like those used by urbaneks in his viewpoints thread.

T6tfo.jpg

Looking @ Unanswered Questions

What to do with aquascaping.

Try to pile them together best as I can to get the tank cycling when it arrives or use Marco e400 mortar?

I like the idea of using the mortar for more daring aqua scapes but I am shying away from it at the moment. I am cycling my rock in the tank with no livestock and I am not sure which pieces I want to use in my scape so I am going to cycle it all. If I purchase mortar I will be forcing myself into a scape before the rock has cycled and I cherry pick those pieces I want for the display. Maybe just throw them all in the display to cycle, then when the cycle is over use the e400 mortar on select pieces staying in the display then the rest to the sump. Thoughts?

How will I cycle?

Since this is my 1st tank with dry rock I am a little confused. Use one of the myriad of bacteria and "speed up" cycle products on the market? Let the dry rock mini cycle on its own over 4 weeks then seed with a piece of live rock from an established tank risking aiptasia or bubble algae or other pests? Using a cocktail shrimp and letting it fully dissolve?

Lighting and Skimming during the Cycle?

Should I be doing either or leaving skimmer and lights off till the tank has cycled?

Should I use Sch40 or Sch 80 Plumbing?

My stocking list calls for sch80 mainly because of the sleek grey color. Now that I see it is not available locally, and multiple BRS orders to get it right would be pricey and slow going I am leaning back on sch40. I can get it locally & according to other reefers a system like mine sch80 is overkill (as it is for most hobbyist reefers). Not to mention that the overflow in tank and drain below will be pretty tight.

This will be all sorted when the tank/stand/sump arrives.

Stocking List of Corals?

I have not thought it out completely. I love rics so there will for sure be a ric island. After that I am not sure. It will also be my 1st try at SPS.

Stocking List of Fish?

Starry Blenny

Flame Angelfish

Four Line Wrasse

Pink Skunk Clownfish (pair)

Looking @ Unanswered Questions

What to do with aquascaping.

Try to pile them together best as I can to get the tank cycling when it arrives or use Marco e400 mortar?

I like the idea of using the mortar for more daring aqua scapes but I am shying away from it at the moment. I am cycling my rock in the tank with no livestock and I am not sure which pieces I want to use in my scape so I am going to cycle it all. If I purchase mortar I will be forcing myself into a scape before the rock has cycled and I cherry pick those pieces I want for the display. Maybe just throw them all in the display to cycle, then when the cycle is over use the e400 mortar on select pieces staying in the display then the rest to the sump. Thoughts?

How will I cycle?

Since this is my 1st tank with dry rock I am a little confused. Use one of the myriad of bacteria and "speed up" cycle products on the market? Let the dry rock mini cycle on its own over 4 weeks then seed with a piece of live rock from an established tank risking aiptasia or bubble algae or other pests? Using a cocktail shrimp and letting it fully dissolve?

Lighting and Skimming during the Cycle?

Should I be doing either or leaving skimmer and lights off till the tank has cycled?

Should I use Sch40 or Sch 80 Plumbing?

My stocking list calls for sch80 mainly because of the sleek grey color. Now that I see it is not available locally, and multiple BRS orders to get it right would be pricey and slow going I am leaning back on sch40. I can get it locally & according to other reefers a system like mine sch80 is overkill (as it is for most hobbyist reefers). Not to mention that the overflow in tank and drain below will be pretty tight.

This will be all sorted when the tank/stand/sump arrives.

Stocking List of Corals?

I have not thought it out completely. I love rics so there will for sure be a ric island. After that I am not sure. It will also be my 1st try at SPS.

Stocking List of Fish?

Starry Blenny

Flame Angelfish

Four Line Wrasse

Pink Skunk Clownfish (pair)

Lighting won't effect the cycle. You can cycle with our without light. But don't skim, you will be going against the point of the cycle.

I am going to use dry rock and Dr. Tim's

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/

Spoke to Eddie at Cadlights today. The tank is drilled and overflow built.

He will send me pictures tonight.

As for the stand, they do not anticipate to have them in stock till between March 9th and 12th.

If I wanted them to custom make me a stand it would be $350 instead of the $200 I already paid for the regular stand. Problem is this would cost me more shipping since the custom stand would come assembled.

Maybe its time to have a stand built locally and just tell them to refund me $200 and ship my tank now.

I have to think about this.

Personally, I'd have a stand built locally with something other than MDF.

Of all the CAD research I did, the stands were often referenced as junk.

Bad news is that Eddie at Cadlights did not send me the pictures I requested and final measurements of the installed overflow today/tonight.

Further bad news my stand guy has 9 other stands in the que and would not get to me till 3 weeks +

Not cool. :( The Cadlights stand is OK. I would prefer a custom built one if possible, but it suits my needs.

It isn't hard to put together but there are no provided instructions. You have to figure out the pieces on your own. Once you get the pieces laid out infront of you and start putting the puzzle together it becomes a lot easier, but it would be nice to have some instructions to make the process simpler.

Communication was the worst part of dealing with Cadlights. It was on / off for me. I'd get good communication and then bad communication. It's something that they need to work on.

I think I am going to call Eddie back today and have them ship the tank and the skimmer only.

The refund on the amount for the stand should be $200.

I should also be entitled to cheaper shipping.

The skimmer is listed as free shipping on their site so thats a moot point.

The tank and stand I have already paid $200 to ship together and now eliminating the stand the freight will come down by 50lbs.

It should not cost $200 to ship the tank alone.

I am then going to get in line for my local stand guy and maybe have a stand in a month. Wish me luck.

Looking @ Cycling

I gave the rock a rinse last night only.

In light of not having a stand possibly for another month it is time to get moving.

I am going to make a tank model out of cardboard this weekend and start doing an aquascape with just zip ties to see if I can get it where I like without having to use mortar.

I will then throw the rock into two 20g rubbermaids with a heater and powerhead and let it get going.

I will not have room for the skimmer in either container.

• [li]Should I leave the tops of the containers open?[/li]
    [li]What temperature should I keep them at?[/li]
    [li]When should I do water changes on them?[/li]

Making water now for the cycle to begin in the tubs.

Stand order cancelled. $200 refund being processed.

Tank and Skimmer should ship next Wednesday 2/29/12 according to Eddie.

• [li]Should I leave the tops of the containers open?[/li]
    [li]What temperature should I keep them at?[/li]
    [li]When should I do water changes on them?[/li]

The last time I cycled dry rock in a trash can I used the lid.

I didn't have any concerns about photosynthetic organism survival, plus I'm sure it helped with any algae blooms.

I kept it at normal tank temps, 78-80.

Don't do a w/c until your params have come down, otherwise you'll prolong what cycle you have.

Making water now for the cycle to begin in the tubs.

Stand order cancelled. $200 refund being processed.

Tank and Skimmer should ship next Wednesday 2/29/12 according to Eddie.

Can you throw some 2x4s together?

I'm not sure what your builder is charging, but you can make a stand for the cheapness.

Hi siwelk. I do not have any woodworking skills. Plus I wanted this stand skinned in laminate for the sleek look (inside and out). For those and other reasons I leave stands to the professionals (or at least semi-pro's).

Archived