Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

Looking @ Sumps

I have been in talks with Tyler from elite-aquatics.net to design me a sump similar to the one built for TokenDog.

I went with this sump because of its design and customer service provided by Tyler through the order process. The first chamber is designed so that the drain will constantly stir up the bottom of the sump, pushing any debris to the top where it will spill over on to a platform with a filter sock where the water will then go in to the skimmer area. On through to the fuge, and then finally in to the return section. Every section needed to be adjusted in width to allow for an integrated top off container while allowing proper width for the TIA-1150 Skimmer, the Eheim 1260 return pump and the Tunze Osmolator ATO pump but still maintaining a 30x15x15 footprint. That footprint stuffs my stand and leaves 1\" all around. Not shown but to be included is a bracket for 3 probes and a bracket to hold my two heaters.

Tyler nailed it and I placed a deposit so he can begin building.

AXRZe.jpg

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well thought out plan, looks like you're not skipping any shortcuts. Really like the sump design also. I'm contemplating on getting a new sump that can accommodate a larger skimmer.

Well thought out plan, looks like you're not skipping any shortcuts. Really like the sump design also. I'm contemplating on getting a new sump that can accommodate a larger skimmer.

Thanks Asureef I followed and value your thread. Keep it up!

You don't NEED the check valve. Just drill a hole into your return pipe near, but below the water line. Once your water drops to that point, the return will pull in air and break the siphon.

Looking @ Controllers

RKE with net ($474) or Neptune AquaController Apex System ($494)?

I want the best unit and I want an easy to use IPOD app to be my primary interface after initial setup.

Please help!

Looking @ BRS Pukani Dry Rock

Package came wrapped very well. Not too much rubble. 1-2 pieces football size, the rest grapefruit size.

Pictures are not so great. Didn't want to go opening the bags tonight. This is what 40lbs dry Pukani Rock from BRS looks like.

Package 1:

2aWvS.jpg

Package 2:

rizGp.jpg

Looking @ BRS Tonga Dry Rock

Package came wrapped very well. I asked for 4 pieces and I got 4 pieces but one is just a nub. The other 3 pieces look great. I have not weighed them. I think I have at least 6lbs even if I discard the lighter in color nub.

This is what 6lbs dry Tonga Rock from BRS looks like.

gj8CU.jpg

-

19kTQ.jpg

-

8peTY.jpg

Looking @ Controllers

RKE with net ($474) or Neptune AquaController Apex System ($494)?

I want the best unit and I want an easy to use IPOD app to be my primary interface after initial setup.

Please help!

Apex .. I don't think I can have a tank without one.

img5912copy.jpg

If I was to get the Apex lite versus the full Apex I lose variable voltage ports which I do not need for pumps because I am not running any tunze pumps..............but I could use it to control AI dimmable LED's correct?

But does it control blue and white only on this fixture and not support blue, white, royal blue independently like the AI controller itself?

If I can use the variable voltage ports to control the AI unit fully (all 3 colors independently) then I can save $70 there and not get the AI controller and just get the full Apex.

The more I read the more I want the Apex and not the Reef Keeper. I just need to pick the full apex or the apex light.

I also understand the Apex will do Ecotech wireless pumps while the Reef Keeper will not but that would require the $70 WMX module on the Apex.

Looking @ Neptune Apex

All right I did some research.

Seems the variable speed on the Base Apex UNIT will not work for the AI light control. Those variable speed ports there are not compatible with the AI lighting for some reason.

I would need the VDM module to control the AI lights.

I would need the Apex lite with VDM module & the WMX module to control the AI lights and the Ecotech pump.

I do not need the full Apex.

Neptune Apex Lite -->$369.95

Neptune PH Probe --> $44.99

Neptune VDM --> $99.99

Neptune WMX --> $125.99 (not going to order day one as its really not necessary having only 1 MP10wes

Confirm/Deny please!

Apex Base Unit with Temp Probe $224.99

Standare Grade PH Probe $44.95

Energy_Bar_8_Module $149.95

Total $419.85

Same package but with Display $494.95

Savings by not getting display. $75.10

Apex_Display_Module Alone $124.95

You will need it if you plan on calibrating your probes, plus it's nice to get the current pH & temp. readings every time you check out your tank without having to bring the phone or PC out all the time.

You will need it if you plan on calibrating your probes, plus it's nice to get the current pH & temp. readings every time you check out your tank without having to bring the phone or PC out all the time.

You can calibrate it on the website.

Call To CADlights

Tank

It has been 2 weeks since my tank order. I was given a 2-3 week time frame for tank build and a 2 week back order for the stand. Hearing nothing @ the 2 week mark I wanted to check in. I gave CAD lights a call last night and I am glad I did.

When I 1st called CADlights to spec a tank I spoke with Eddie who was very knowledgable. He gave me his opinions and I jotted them down to use for when I was to call back in another week and actually place the order. It was at this time that Eddie was not available. Andrew was nice enough to help placing the order. There were not many questions on my end since I had item by item list of how I wanted the tank built. He took the information and placed the order.

Yesterday thankfully when I called I got Eddie. He had let me know that the glass was about dry and the custom overflow would be built tomorrow morning. He starts confirming some details and I had to stop him. When we talked about pipe diameter in the beginning I told them I wanted the largest I could get while still keeping the overflow box small. Eddie's 1st quote was for a 1" drain and a 3/4" return. Fine with me. When the order was placed with Andrew though he suggested 1.5" drain and 1" return. When I asked if they would still fit in the 5x3 overflow he said they would. Never plumbing or drilling a tank before I let it be. It was good that I called Eddie yesterday because if they went with that pipe size my overflow box would have grown considerably.

I had also been told yesterday that my return plumbing inside the overflow box would be flexible pipe which I declared several times before I did not want and I needed hard pipe for both the durso and for the return.

Would I have been given a call at that point (today or tomorrow) to confirm both pipe and overflow box sizes before they went further? I am not sure.............I think they would have picked one and I would have been stuck with it. This is not to bash Andrew either. He is in sales, he is knowledgeable, but when making final adjustments to tank spec's I will talk with Eddie from here on out.

The other thing about Cadlights on the phone service is I feel like I get "yes'd" to death without positive reaffirming confirmation of details. This leads me to repeating myself several times till I get a satisfactory positive confirmation of my request. It is a little frustrating but I understand I am a little anal.

Stand

My order with them is for the 50L white cabinet that they sell. They will be drilling this stand for me to accomodate the relocated overflow. The stand is still on back order. They hope to have the item by March.

Eddie said if I needed a stand before then he could get me discounted pricing on a custom stand using birch that will retain the same look but be much sturdier. He is going to get back to me with pricing. Problem is that this stand will come fully assembled and I will incur another shipping charge. Decision is pending an email back from Eddie with pricing.

Conclusion

I felt it necessary to send an email to CadLights after our phone conversation to put details down in writing from my end before he goes further. I am not sure which work order with which spec's will make it into the hands of the person taking my glass box, drilling holes then doing the overflow. Again maybe I am anal and I should just relax and think that everything will come out great. I just want to me sure the tank comes delivered to my door in the spec I requested.

I spoke with Eddie and he finalized the tank order today 2/14/12.

This should be the work order that is given to the person building the overflow and drilling the tank.

36"x18"x18"

4 sided starfire glass

clear silicone

The return will be 3/4" and hard piped.

The drain will be 1" with a hard piped durso.

This was done to still fit both in an overflow box that measures 3"x5".

The 3" portion of the rectangle overflow will be along the back wall.

The 5" portion of the rectangle overflow will be along the right wall.

The pipes will be front to back in the overflow.

At the rear will be the return pipe

At the front will be the drain pipe

All pipes inside the overflow will be hard pipes.

The return nozzle will exit the overflow wall pointing from right to left along the back of the tank not 12.5" inches high as previously stated but about 15 inches high on the overflow.

Bulkheads included.

Piping from bulkheads down included.

overflow made from black acrylic with teeth and cover

outside of overflow blacked out to hide plumbing

white 50g Long stand drilled to match new overflow location

Archived