SaltCritters.com

white stuff coming out of GSP

czdiver

My tank is still very new. I wasn't going to put corals in it for some time but had a coupon for a free frag so asked if there was anything that could make it in a tank that hadn't completely cycled yet. Was told the green star polyp and the mushroom coral were very hardy and could be put in a tank the same time as you put your live rock in and they could make it. So I got a mushroom for free and bought a green star polyp for $15. Put them in Sunday evening. The GSP opened up by the next day but has closed and opened a few times sinse. This morning (Wed.) it was completely open by the time I left for work. But by the time I got home only about 1/4 of it was open. I was reading and happened to notice a white milky substance coming out of it. It resembled little puffs of smoke. After that, it has completely closed. It's still purple, though.

Does anybody know what this was? Also, have it positioned on top of my highest live rock (only 3-4" from the surface) to get the best light and flow as I have my pump head directed toward the surface. Is this too close to the surface? If so, is there any coral that likes to be just below the surface of the water as I have a large flat surface of live rock that is perfect to put frags on?

altolamprologus
Alto, how come you know everything?

I have an above average IQ and tend to remember just about everything I learn. I also took 2 marine biology classes and I watch the discovery channel a lot :lol:

Next time you go in, ask them some questions that you know the answers tk already to test them. 15 is on the expensive side for gsp, and no one should recommend adding coral before a cycle is complete. They may be trying to pull a fast one on you.

My GSP is probably one of my pickiest corals - the first change in flow, water temp, or salinity and it closes up for hours if not days...

I moved the GSP to another location, mid-tank. It started to open up before I went to bed. It was totally open by this morning and is still looking good. Maybe it just was a little shocked by more light than it was used to.

Archived