Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Canon xt?

moblues

Hey, jumping back into photography. Found a used canon rebel xt for 250. Seems like a decent deal, but I've only had powershots since going digital. What do you more up to date folks think?

Thanks for the quick reply, you have just given me a reason to upgrade my tank B) Stupid nano cube bent glass will have to go!

Nano cube glass isn't horrible. My display is a 36g bowfront. This tank is a nightmare for photos.

My frigging iPhone takes better photos through glass than my Canon 100mm macro through my 26g bowfront's front pane. I freaking hate bowfront's for this very reason now. :P

Oh, I don't have the XT, but I have the XSI. I have heard great things about the XT, and Lani took some really good photos with hers, IIRC.

was my first DSLR and it is a good camera to get started..but look around you can probably find a little newer model rebel for under $300 and that would be a plus because they upgraded the focus system in it after the XT

You clearly live in a better CL area than me. I've been keeping an eye out for about 4 months and this is the best deal I've found. Didn't really want to spend much since besides the corals, I want to take this out to a working cattle ranch this summer. I'll try to get a few pics of the awesomely gorgeous torture it will endure up shortly.

when i buy another dslr (had to sell mine last winter to make the mortgage one month) i will be buying another canon 10D.

i sold my 10d to buy a t1i and I regretted it . the t1i had video and higher iso ranges and faster shutter speeds but i wouldn't buy another one. the really small plastic body was very cheap feeling and the button layout for changing the f stop/ iso/ etc was horrible. on the 10d each parameter had its own button or wheel.

if you plan to shoot manual mode make sure the button layout allows for easy and quick changes.

I got these with an elph that is 4-5 years old. I'm pretty happy with the way they came out considering, but I think the new camera will help with placing my focal point where I want it and getting rid of the "flat" feeling.

5508ad83.jpg

65d4ac38.jpg

a6cda5e2.jpg

2b33b05a.jpg

5020f45a.jpg

Although the elph is really not lacking in shutter speed :lol:

when i buy another dslr (had to sell mine last winter to make the mortgage one month) i will be buying another canon 10D.

i sold my 10d to buy a t1i and I regretted it . the t1i had video and higher iso ranges and faster shutter speeds but i wouldn't buy another one. the really small plastic body was very cheap feeling and the button layout for changing the f stop/ iso/ etc was horrible. on the 10d each parameter had its own button or wheel.

if you plan to shoot manual mode make sure the button layout allows for easy and quick changes.

a 10D really..any newer rebel will be leaps and bounds better then that camera as far as noise and AF..the layout might have been different on the t1i but it was far superior with everything else then the 10D

Check out www.fredmiranda.com for classifieds. They have great deals. I personally use Nikon, and a d70 can be had for ~$200 now. That coupled with a 55mm Micro lens (the old f3.5 one) and you get a fantastic macro setup for under $300. Note you will have to modify part of the skirt so you don't damage the aperture selector unless you get the ai version of the lens.

a 10D really..any newer rebel will be leaps and bounds better then that camera as far as noise and AF..the layout might have been different on the t1i but it was far superior with everything else then the 10D

a camera is only as good as the users abiiity to shoot with it :P

plus i would much rather just get a faster lens than shoot with really high ISO..

a camera is only as good as the users abiiity to shoot with it :P

plus i would much rather just get a faster lens than shoot with really high ISO..

true to a point but a user cannot make a sensor better then it actually is..You are not gonna make it perform beyond its ability just cause you know how to take pics....its an old sensor and isnt very good for high ISO at all..so you rather have to buy say a 50 1.2L vs a 50 1.4 that is 4x less in price just so you have to shoot it WIDE open at a crazy thin depth of field just so you can keep the ISO lower on really old tech

true to a point but a user cannot make a sensor better then it actually is..You are not gonna make it perform beyond its ability just cause you know how to take pics....its an old sensor and isnt very good for high ISO at all..so you rather have to buy say a 50 1.2L vs a 50 1.4 that is 4x less in price just so you have to shoot it WIDE open at a crazy thin depth of field just so you can keep the ISO lower on really old tech

I really have to agree here. I have some fast lenses with short focal lengths. F/1.8 isn't a a f/4, sure, but I find myself stepping down to F/2.2-2.5 do broaden my depth of field anyway. The wide angle of the 28mm lens means I can really drop to a very slow shutter speed. In low light, I still find myself having to crank the ISO up higher that I like to.

My camera does really good at 1600 ISO. 3200 just gives me more noise than I care. Goes to 6400 ISO but there is no way I would use it. I don't think I could possibly be satisfied with anything less of a camera. Already eyeing a Canon 7D just for it's better processor power.

While buttons and knobs are really nice, nothing is more important than the images coming out of my camera. Reducing the the resolution of the photo from my T3 to match the resolution of the 10D would even lower noise and raise sharpness even more.

the D70 is still very poor when comes to higher ISO..Any older Rebel will out perform it in that area.

I bet to differ. That 6.1mp sensor was one of the best performing of its time, and still does incredibly well (compared to models a generation or two newer). Canon plays the MP game, nikon the IQ and ISO.

Not to start a flame. I've got some canon equipment too, and actually recommend pentax if you want to buy a new Entry level.

That's not apples to apples though. The 50 1.2 is a specialty lens just like the 85 1.2. They will give you images similar to the 1.4 or 1.8 versions unless you understand how to actually use the lenses. the 1.2 apertures are not so much for low light as they are for creative composures. When I use the 50 or 85 1.2 at weddings everything in low light is nearly 100% shot at 1/160 sec exposure, f/2.8 and ISO 1600- coupled with a couple flashes at least. Sure higher ISO is better, but anybody expecting to use that only to compensate for low light is expecting for too much.

That's not apples to apples though. The 50 1.2 is a specialty lens just like the 85 1.2. They will give you images similar to the 1.4 or 1.8 versions unless you understand how to actually use the lenses. the 1.2 apertures are not so much for low light as they are for creative composures. When I use the 50 or 85 1.2 at weddings everything in low light is nearly 100% shot at 1/160 sec exposure, f/2.8 and ISO 1600- coupled with a couple flashes at least. Sure higher ISO is better, but anybody expecting to use that only to compensate for low light is expecting for too much.

I wasnt talking about the type of lens it IS..i am just saying is he wanting to spend $1500 for a lens just cause its fast enough for the fact he doesnt have to bump his ISO up high enough to the point it looks like crap..It had nothing to do with the true use of the lens.

For a bit more you can get a T1i, which is more feature rich than the XT from B&H. It would give you decent ISO performance until 800 or higher, but yiou could probably push that number. If you look at reviews and see that Nikon has less noise, just remember that Nikon applies much more rigorous noise reduction and you lose a lot of detail.

• 2 weeks later...
If you wanna think that..it was poor with high ISO..anything nikon made before the D300 was pretty piss poor on high ISO

That's just not true at all. Yes newer models are much better,but the corresponding rebel models were terrible at the time when it came to noise at high isos. To be clear I'm talking about noise, not values you can select.

why?

Because they offer hands down, the best value in that price range. The in body IS is great too. There is slightly less room for upgrades but we're talking about entry level

Archived