Pod Your Reef

CAD 100G Artisan Build

LouDog3

100 Gallons of Epicness

I have a BC29(5 years) and a Pico Barracuda.(2 years) I'm running out of room on my BC29. Plus I just want to start another tank ( nothing wrong with that, right?) :D I really wanted to do a beautiful build and do it right, with little maintenance. I want to go heavy on the SPS, and I am prepared for the long run,patience, and dedication. Trying to get as much as I can on cruise control ( not that I am going to hit the easy button and walk away) but more for perfect stability.

CAD100G Artisan Ordered on 1/18/12 Arrived
Shipping ETA - It's being packed up as we speak, and should ship in the next day or two- 1/24/11
Shipping ETA - It's being boxed up in the next couple days - 1/30/11

So my shipping delay is taking a little long than a week. So I am suspecting they are build to order. And when their website says 17 in stock, that maybe stretching the truth a little.

This build is going to take months. I am in the process of finishing my basement and building a salt room behind where the tank will sit. I will be putting 3x35 gallon containters and make a salt mixing station.
It's already plumbed for water and drainage. I am going to put a panel of swtiches so they can control the following:
Heater
External Pump(Pan World 40PX) (arrived)
Pump in the salt container (keep it fresh after it's mixed)

Tank
CAD 100G Artisan (arrived)
Dimensions 48x24x20
3 Side Strafire Glass

Stand
CAD 100G Artisan Walnut(arrived)

Equipment
Synergy Custom CL 44 Sump - Ordered 1/6/16 (Arrived)
Nyos Quantum 160 Protien Skimmer ( not ordered yet)
Ecotech L1 Pump - Arrived
Genesis Reef System ( Renew Pro+Storm Pro+Pumps) - Arrived
Apex System: Temp, PH, Salinity, Ecotech Wireless Module - Arrived

Heater (not sure yet) Any suggestions
2xMP40QD - Arrived
Eco-tech back up battery - Arrived

Seneye Reef Monitor - Not ordered yet

Lighting - 3x Ecotech Radion XR30W Pro's with mounting kits - Ordered 1/19/16 (2 arrived)

Natural Filtration
BRS Project Reef Rock 2.1 Dry Rock (Curing)

Live Stock - TBA

Corals - TBA

And we are off.......

Here is the salt room. Still being built, but the water spout is in, and the drain is plumbed.

6812624099_e3fe6c155f_b.jpg

Picked up some 32G Brute's and some PVC and plumbing parts.

6812625305_2de8da8cab_b.jpg

And on to the tease....

6812627155_50152f33b4_b.jpg

6812626313_04c3ab443c_b.jpg

Unpacking now....

This is going to be a work in progress, but will be well worth the wait.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm anxious to see where you take this tank. It will be good to see another larger CAD on here. On the heater the Jager's are nice which is what I always ran on my Nano. When I bought this tank, they were out of Jagers and I ordered a Finnex 300w. It works great and I will order another one when the time comes.

As for lighting, it looks like you are set on LED. If that's the case I would go with the Radion.

I'm anxious to see where you take this tank. It will be good to see another larger CAD on here. On the heater the Jager's are nice which is what I always ran on my Nano. When I bought this tank, they were out of Jagers and I ordered a Finnex 300w. It works great and I will order another one when the time comes.

As for lighting, it looks like you are set on LED. If that's the case I would go with the Radion.

I like the Sun Rise/ Sun set effects, these lights can produce. Also, being able to reduce the heat with LED's, I maybe able to avoid a chiller. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the advice on the heater. Eheim Jaguar seems to be a popular choice.

Damn that's a lot of money

It will be! (quit reminding me) But it will be well worth it in my eyes. Fortunately, I have been blessed with a great job, and stability.

I like the Sun Rise/ Sun set effects, these lights can produce. Also, being able to reduce the heat with LED's, I maybe able to avoid a chiller. I guess time will tell.

The moon lighting is definitely a good factor. One of these days I will add them to my Infiniti fixture. BTW, I run MH's without a chiller unless you consider a ceiling fan a chiller. I have the ceiling fan on a timer that kicks it on/off at the same times as the MHs. Believe it or not but my heater usually kicks on during the MH cycle due to the ceiling fan. Without the open top, this would not be possible.

Happy to find your new build thread and congratulations on what I am sure will be an amazing build. Urbanek is certainly doing a CAD right. I too am about to purchase one of the 100g Artisan. Still haven't decided whether I get the package or just tank and maybe sump. I'm sure you will, but please post pics of tank, stand and sump as soon as you unpack them. Following along anxiously and living vicariously for now B)

I am going through the same confusion regarding lights... I love my AI Nano on my BC29, but honestly I may go ATI T5 or MH/T5 combo with Ecoxotic's Dimable Stunners for the LED pop/shimmer/moonlights. heat is also a concern, but Urbanek's ceiling fan on a timer idea would work perfectly for me as I could mount the fan where it would blow directly onto the tank. I'm sure the evaporation and open top would keep the temps in check. Hard to dispute the growth and coloration of SPS under both MH and T5. They are certainly proven whereas LEDs are still a little experimental IMO.

If I end up going LED, I will either go Radion or VEGA. T5 probably ATI Sunpower for bang for the buck and MH/T5 combo???

Congrats. I know where you are at right now, very excited! Lots of work ahead of you. Enjoy it along the way and make the build as much fun as keeping a tank.

As I think you read in my journal, my first tank from Cad was delivered broken. Based on how yours is packaged and labeled, it looks like Cad has really improved on their packaging.

Archived