inTank Media Baskets

AquaLara's 2G cube

Aqualara

I've been thinking of doing a little cube tank. Was thinking about a 10" tank but I like how your 8" cube is. Which do you think I should go with O.o

Love the tank so far. Makes me want one more

Tough choice! Do you plan on having a fish in there? If so, I'd get the 10" cube. I don't care much for clown gobies, which is why I decided on the smaller tank. I was also looking at the 10" cube. But, I figured that it would be really cool just to have corals and a few sexy shrimp. Plus, when you can pull off a smaller tank long term, I think it's really impressive :D

Looking good! I've had good luck with that par30. Been using it for about 5 months now.

Yay, thanks! I wish I could fast forward a few months to see what kind of growth I get in there. I'm so impatient :blush:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The little clam/mussel I have in my tank moved to the other side of the tank, and I was able to get a picture :D Anyone know what this thing is?

DSC00474.jpg

Also, I got in new coral for my 40B today, and a little piece of my green birdsnest broke off. So....I glued it onto a small piece of LR and put it in this tank. I wonder if it will live? It's so tiny.

DSC00473.jpg

Update:

I did a little rescape because the rocks were falling over and clearly not stable. I kind of like this new scape, so it's all good.

The corals I got from Mr. Coral mostly died, so I don't have that much in this tank. Duncans are great eaters and doing well. Those little accidental birdsnest frags look great. Zoas are as brown as they always were. I kind of want to just throw them away. I'm upset that my star polyps never opened. The acan didn't really open. I don't think I'll order from there again.

But.... I GOT A SEXY SHRIMP!!! I plan on getting a couple more, but they were really expensive ($25 each...), so I just got one.

Also, I switched to a AC50, because the heater fits nicely in there. I already had the filter, so it was easy :D

My next coral purchases (not for another couple of weeks or so)

-star polyps

-an acan that will live

-maybe a tiny frogspawn or hammer

-zoas that are not brown.

I really don't think I'm being that picky. Brown is just not pretty. Here are pics! The sexy shrimp loves the duncan. It mostly stays right on the stalk all day.

DSC00498.jpg

tiny green birdsnest fragDSC00499.jpg

FTS (oops, crooked picture)

DSC00497.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update! Things have been going well! Corals are growing; My duncan has a little bump on its stalk and I'm wondering if it's a "baby"? Also, I'm getting coralline algae on the rock and sides of the tank; I'm cleaning it off the sides but I'll let it grow on the back to see what it looks like. The sexy shrimp seems happy, and I got a few new additions!

My new frogspawn :-)

DSC00590.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

New maxi mini! With complementary sexy shrimp :lol:

DSC00585.jpg

My two new green banded gobies (TINY now! at least one will eventually move to my 40B)

DSC00581.jpg

And a FTS

DSC00591.jpg

Sooo....I wasn't completely happy with the scape, and I had this rock in my 40B that I hammered to pieces and one piece that came from it looked pretty awesome.

I rescaped.....and I added some pink zoas on the right.

I kind of like this scape better, but I wanted to see what you all thought. The maxi mini will come back soon; I put it in my other tank temporarily.

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

Two photo updates with new fish and 'scape and no comments? I guess I should've entered the 3 and under contest :P

Just want to know which 'scape you all like better. And if you like my new fishie :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

I've got a TON of coralline! And the tank is doing well. One green banded goby jumped though.... :( I found him on the floor all crunchy. Sad.

I've added some coral, but you might not be able to see it in the pic. I got close ups, too, but photobucket is being weird and wouldn't upload them for me. Maybe I can try again tomorrow.

In the meantime, here are some pics:

Coralline!

DSC00645.jpg

Blurry green banded goby in one of his favorite spots:

DSC00627.jpg

FTS!

DSC00641.jpg

A few more pics:

Acans (you can also see the mussel/clam in the top left :D )

DSC00642.jpg

pink maxi mini, duncans, pink zoas, and GSP

DSC00643.jpg

Pink zoas

DSC00644.jpg

cool tank! I'm going to do a similar setup but I was trying to figure out a better way to place the light. I would like it ideally in the center in the back, but I don't want to move the ac50 off center. Does putting the light on the side bother you knowing u can see the cord? Or is it possible to hang it off the ac50?

I think it would be possible to hang it off of the AC50, but I don't have enough space behind the tank to do that (the shelf it's on is only 12" front to back).

But yes, I would have preferred for the light to be mounted on the back of the tank, as opposed to the side. It doesn't bother me terribly much, but just a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo.

I've had some issues with this tank lately. I've got some cyano and I think hair-type brownish algae growing in there. My frogspawn started to bleach and my acans are really unhappy. For the time being, I've moved them to my 40 gallon to give them a a chance.

I think that the issues are due to a few reasons:

1. My apartment is super bright and the tank gets direct sunlight for a few hours per day

2. With a fish and a shrimp in there, I feel like I foul the tank every time I feed.

I've entertained the idea of an upgrade to something around 6 or so gallons. And I'll move the tank.

The one thing that makes me sad is that I love that this tank is tiny. It's adorable. But I'm doing water changes 2-3 times per week and it's a lot of work for 2 gallons of water!

What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Can I still post my tank in the pico forum even if it's about 6 gallons? :(

Yeah,

Just make sure you pull out a gallon of water, snap the picture then put the water back in... Tell them your tank simulates the tide pools... :)

Well, I guess no one liked the way this tank ended up anyway so I guess it'll be a good idea to take it down and start something else.

VeganBrian

Your tank is awesome! I have the same exact cube. The thing I would suggest is to only do very very tiny feedings throughout the week. Choose one day to do a big big feeding and a few hours later do a huge water change. Maybe cut the lights down a little and raise it up higher above the tank for a few days to try and starve the algae bloom you have. Don't give up! good luck! Following this one.

Well, the algae problem is improving just a little bit, i think. I think I may have already said this, but I moved the duncan, acans, and pink zoas over to my 40B temporarily. I really didn't want to lose them and they weren't looking happy in the 2G.

I kinda bought a custom 6 gallon acrylic tank from microreefs. It's 14x12x9, but I'm strangely bittersweet about it. I love this 2G but I freaked out when I saw algae everywhere and starting to die.

I will take a pic soon and post it, but I'm warning you that it's not pretty :(

The two maxi minis are still in there, as well as the green palys and star polyps (both not happy). And of course, my sexy shrimp and green banded goby :-)

I wish I could set up the 6G and keep this one going, too. But I think my boyfriend would just about freak out. I already have a 125G cichlid tank, a 50G planted, my 40B reef, and this little one. We live together, and he's quite tolerant of my hobby :D

VeganBrian

Aww poor tank :( I love this tank. What are your plans on taking care of the issues? Cutting the lights for a few days? Cleaning rocks? Bigger clean up crew ? Lots of water changes? Don't give up on this tank!

Builder Anthony

you could just cut the lights one full day i think people overthink things sometimes.It is natural for things not to have light one full day.Or just ambient light.Nice maxi nem though.

Archived