Pod Your Reef

AquaLara's 2G cube

Aqualara

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! Nice to see that people are following :-)

Water parameters day 11 AND 12 (same results both days):

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: >5

Nitrate: 20

Slow :mellow:

I will skip tomorrow, test Friday, and then I'll be gone skiing for the weekend (Yay!). Maybe when I get back, I will have a nice surprise? :D I'd love to add a CUC next week, but I guess I'll take it a day at a time for now. I'm proud of myself for being so well behaved. I can be stubborn and impatient. I know that my patience will pay off though. I don't want my impatience to lead to dead things or tank crashes.

I was examining my tank, and noticed tons of copepods!!

Also, I had a ridiculous amount of diatoms -- everything had a layer of brown dust on it, but it's all gone now... Does this mean something?

sooo...

Tested the water today (day 13), and this is what I got:

Nitrite: 5

Nitrate: 10

Nitrate results have been trending lighter these past few days. So, in a few days, it has gone down from 20 to 10. How is this possible? I haven't changed any water...

Builder Anthony

ya all those little pods you have that dont curl up when they walk are little terriorists.be very careful adding zoas or injured corals they will munch on them like food.id get a fish to eat them b4 adding coral

Why not a clown goby? They only get to be 1 3/4 big? I have a 2.5G in my living room on an end table I was going to add a Yellow Clown Goby to in a few weeks once in cycles a bit more. I figured a single small fish and some corals would be great in that little tank.

@ ONEOFFCUSTOM: Thanks!! It's 8 pieces or so of LR. My hammer was my best friend that day :D

@want949: Oh yes, that.... I have a floating glass one now, but I plan on getting digital one soon.

@joeyhatch11: I'm still not comfortable having a fish in there. I'd really like 3 sexy shrimp, so I'm going to stick with that. If I had 4+ gallons, I'd consider a goby, but not in this one.

UPDATE!

Water parameters day 16:

Nitrite: 2

Nitrate: 80

WHOA. I think my cycle is done, and I think I need a water change...or 3. YAY! Time for CUC :-) Probably Wednesday. I won't have time to go to my LFS the next few days.

Got my CUC today!

2 cerith snails

1 nassarius (because they are just awesome)

1 blue legged hermit

Guy at the store threw in two teeeenie mushrooms for free -- a bluish striped one and a red one with green polka dots.

I'll be getting a couple corals this weekend -- I'll post pics then :D

So. I made a boo boo.

I got some corals last week, and a couple yesterday, and that was all fine (some zoas, a duncan, a mushroom, tiny galaxia coral (will go into the 40B soon), but then... :angry:

I saw this cute little nem, and the guy was telling me it stays that big and it's the most wonderful thing ever. I tried to look it up on my phone but didn't have good reception so I couldn't get more info on the little thing. Anywho. I put it in the tank when I got home and looked it up. :o:o

It's a tulip anemone. And it is the prettiest thing I've ever seen. and it is STUCK. I think I'm gonna have to take some rocks out and kill the sucker.

I'll get some updated pics of the tank as soon as the lights come on. The zoas look nothing like they did in the pics, but I'll elaborate on that once I have the pics up.

P.S.

Water parameters:

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 10

Yay :-) Water change today.

Pics!

I'm kind of mad about the corals I received, because my keds reds and spartan's pride zoas/palys are just kind of brownish, and I paid a good amount for them. I also have snake palys, but they never even opened :angry: Will the colors get better over time? Right now I have a couple of screens over the tank so I can slowly have them adjust to my par30.

Galaxia coral and snail:

DSC00420.jpg

Galaxia coral:

DSC00416.jpg

Mushroom:

DSC00419.jpg

This is supposed to be keds reds: :angry:

DSC00418.jpg

These are supposed to be spartan's pride palys: :angry:

DSC00417.jpg

Emerald palys?

DSC00414.jpg

Duncan:

DSC00415.jpg

FTS

DSC00413.jpg

I think this tank covered in zoas would be fantastic.

+1 the zoas

sigh, I love these ADA / Do Aqua tanks... Even empty. So nice. Nice start on the tank, look forward to more updates!

I've been thinking of doing a little cube tank. Was thinking about a 10" tank but I like how your 8" cube is. Which do you think I should go with O.o

Love the tank so far. Makes me want one more

Builder Anthony

all those palys should return to their color whatever that is.the zoas shouldnt have lost to much color they hold color better then fast growing palys

Archived