pink maxi mini

yellow maxi mini (hiding)

Inverts/Fish

one sexy shrimp

one green banded goby

Current FTS

DSC00641.jpg

=======================ORIGINAL POST=================================

I'm SO excited! I had a 4G finnex pico reef a couple of years ago but I didn't like its dimensions and life got in the way, so I took it down. I still consider myself new to saltwater, because that tank was only set up for a few months. This time, it's for good :D I am also planning a switch for my 25G from fresh to salt, but that will be for another thread.

Here is the equipment that I already have (some in the mail):

8x8x8 cube from Do!Aqua

Par30 BoostLED with clamp (3RB, 1NW, 1CW)

Aquaclear 20

Hydor theo 25W

Refractometer

IO reef crystals + distilled water

API test kit

2.5 lbs LR (currently curing in my finnex with the filter until the new tank arrives this week. Hope this is OK)

5lbs ocean direct live sand

Comments or suggestions about equipment? Am I missing anything?

Stocking plan for later

CUC: maybe just a snail....?

2-3 sexy shrimp

Haven't thought about corals yet.

Comments or suggestions about stocking?

I am SO excited!!!!!!

Lara

P.S. This is my 100th post :-)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com. You can definitely get a bigger CUC. I would recommend a couple snails and a couple hermits your little reef.

I certainly will post photos, as soon as the equipment comes in. I don't want to take a pic of the finnex with LR in it, since that's not its permanent home.

I am expecting the AC20 on Monday, BoostLED lamp on Tuesday, and the tank should be here Friday.

The finnex is currently running with a nano filter and powerhead.

And that's pretty awesome about being able to have a larger CUC. What about a pom pom crab?... they're SOOO pretty.

I've got nitrates!!!!!!! :D Things are happening!

Water parameters day 5:

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrite: 5

Nitrate: 20 (seriously?!)

Now I just have to wait for the ammonia and nitrite levels to go to zero. Yay!

I've got nitrates!!!!!!! :D Things are happening!

Water parameters day 5:

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrate: 20 (seriously?!)

Now I just have to wait for the ammonia and nitrite levels to go to zero. Yay!

Pictures!?

It's complicated...

The LR and filter are on my 4G Finnex, but that's temporary. The actual tank (8x8x8) will be here Friday, and I will take pics AS SOON as I get it! That's a promise :D

Yep, I'm pretty excited about it :happydance:

Water parameters day 6:

Ammonia: 1

Nitrate: 20

Aww. no progress today. I probably should only be testing it every other day...but testing the water is all I have to keep me busy! There's nothin' to look at yet! The official tank will be here tomorrow evening. UPS usually gets here late-ish, around 7. Pictures tomorrow. I promise!

More pics :D I love that this tank is in my "office" (living room, really). I get to slack off instead of studying. Also, water is still cloudy; I'll post updated pics tomorrow when the water clears. I tested the water today but I'm not going to post it because I switched everything over and so it doesn't "count". Enjoy!

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

Water parameters day 8:

Ammonia: .25

Nitrite >5

Nitrate: 10

I had an issue during the transfer and had to add "clean" water. That explains the drop in nitrate. I'll get some photos of the clearer water either tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for an awesome light :D I LOVE the color!

You are very welcome! Subscribing to your build thread. Would love to see how this lil pico matures over time! ;)

I LOOOVE picos. Actually, I love anything that's tiny or miniature. I actually have an etsy shop called "Larastinythings". I also have my 4g finnex and a 7" acrylic cube and I've ruminating over whether or not to sell them. Now that I have the 8" cube, I don't know what I'd use the 7" cube for. But maybe the finnex would be good as a QT tank? I dunno.

But anyway, I was posting to ask a couple of questions.

1. Once my ammonia and nitrite are at zero, should I wait at all before adding anything?

2. I'm guessing that I should add my CUC first? And if so, how long do I have to wait until I add a coral?

I'm actually already getting diatoms, so that's a good sign.

Water parameters day 10:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: >5

Nitrate: 20

Darn it. I was hoping to see a fall in nitrite, or an increase in nitrate. I feel like I'm in the second phase of cycling my tank (since ammonia fell to zero), but is this second part supposed to last shorter or longer than the first part? I WANT LIVESTOCK!!

Archived