Innovative Marine Aquariums

Something wrong with molly?

Squared

F8's are brackish. NOT full SW.

Did a little research, looks like they can take full saltwater. But still not a saltwater fish...

This would be amazing in my tank haha,I have a weird feeling acclimation for those wouldn't work good.

I bet it's the adults that live in saltwater

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put the Molly in, much calmer than the other one was. Swims right next to my other fish and they almost completely ignore him.

Keeping the qt up though I case he gets sick again.

The Molly is displaying his fin for the Midas

Midas just hides in hole

Babies figure 8 puffers are born in brackish water and as they mature they move into saltwater. That is from multiple magazines I've read and research online.

This would be amazing in my tank haha,I have a weird feeling acclimation for those wouldn't work good.

they used to sell these at my lfs in the SW and FW fish selection, it was really odd to see them on both sides of the store!

drunkenmonk21

Update on my Molly's the 2 adults are 5 days in full SW and doing great. Eating mysis, petllets, and algae. The 4 new females I bought are all allive and doing great as well, eating the same. 4 days in. Seems that my blue devil does not like orange fish. She chases the 24k Molly whenever she see her. And leaves the black molly's alone completey. Not sure what thats all about. The lemonpeel ignores them completely.

guy at LFS said mollies need at least 3 months to acclimate, in order to develop the organ they need to survive in saltwater.

???

anyone hear anything about this??

I mean it makes sense, but I highly doubt they grow a completely different organ to adapt to a completely different environment, in just 3 months.

I'd also think it'd be highly unlikely they'd develop a new organ just for saltwater conditions. That would make brackish really awkward when they only grow half the organ for SG 1.012 :o

The transition from fresh to salt mostly has to do with water and salt regulation. Fresh water fish have an abundance of usable water at thir disposal, and as such tend to not have to worry about water intake as much. Salt fish have to worry about the amount of salt they take in and compensate for that. I don't know the exact mechanism, but I believe that's the basics (correct me if I'm wrong).

Longer acclimation is usally better for salinity, but who says a molly couldn't swim from fresh to salt conditions in a single day? True the transition whould be gradual, but I'm sure some odd fish has swam himself from fw to sw in a day. Bullsharks are an example of something that could do this. If your mollies are swimming and happy, it'd think you'd be fine. Besides, to late to change how you acclimated them now!

• 2 months later...
drunkenmonk21

My Mollies have breed and had babies :D I know have at least 10 prolly more little babies swimming around my 10g tank.

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

bad pics I know, I will get better soon.

Cheese-Lover
guy at LFS said mollies need at least 3 months to acclimate, in order to develop the organ they need to survive in saltwater.

???

anyone hear anything about this??

This makes me giggle.

I've personally seen two people (One was a LFS) acclimatize them over about half a second. And I personally spent about 35-40min acclimatizing mine before I put it into my tank.

They do not develop another organ.

Archived