Top Shelf Aquatics

2nd times the charm; Pic's Mini-s

picOnly

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to go with a natural oil stain on the stand before applying the polyurethane to seal it. Turns out it needs 72 hours to dry. Still have about 48 hours to go. Then it's just putting everything together. Sump and plumbing are already done. It should be wet on saturday.

That stand is awesome, glad you are keeping it natural ... I am not a fan of dark stained wood at all. Need pics of it up and running htis weekend!

I ended up doing a natural oil stain, not sure if I like it better or not, regardless it's not comming off! Just one more coat of polycrylic and it's good to go!

Very cool. I thought about drilling my mini-s but didn't have the room. Excited to see how yours turns out!

Thanks, hopefully I can get mine up to par with yours. I really have a hard time with coral placement. I'd like to cover all my LR with coral but I always end up with a real block when I try to make a dense scape. It's the same with freshwater, I can make a great Iwagumi layout, but struggle with a densely top to bottom planted tank.

Very nice setup you got going there.

Are you using Optics on the LEDS?

Thanks!

And no, I was worried about bleaching my corals. Do you think I'd be better of with them?

Looks awesome but do you have a check valve on the return or something? Or does your tank drain all the way down in a power outtage?

Hahaha that'd be a serious design flaw! But yes, I do have a check valve on the return, you just can't see it because it sit's behind the sump. I had to do it this way to fit the compact stand.

really like how this tank is coming along. nice job

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Got my Macro-glow over my fuge:

P1010501.jpg

P1010497.jpg

The POS heater is temporary, my hydor theo will take it's place when i move my old rock over.

Thanks!

And no, I was worried about bleaching my corals. Do you think I'd be better of with them?

No, you are better off without the optics. I bleached just about everything I placed in my tank when I had optics on my leds. Once I removed them, color started coming back.

• 3 weeks later...

My first year at reefstock was great, never seen so many corals in one place! I'll deffinately be back next year. :D

Some pics:

P3110541.jpg

P3110543.jpg

P3110544.jpg

P3110545.jpg

P3110546.jpg

P3110547.jpg

P3110549.jpg

P3110550.jpg

P3110551.jpg

AquaticDiscounts

very nice tank setup. how do you like the nano box over flow from glass holes? how is the noise?

very nice tank setup. how do you like the nano box over flow from glass holes? how is the noise?

Thanks. I love the nano overflow, it's incredibly compact, works perfect, and the sound is a very minimal trickle. But beware, when I turn down the flow it's incredibly loud, just a huge draining noise.

Finally got my hi-fin red banded goby, candy cane pistol, and 3 sexy shrimp.

So far, just one of the sexy's has found the maxi-mini. Still trying to get a good shot of the shrimp/goby pair.

P3210577.jpg

This is turning out to be a great build. I have a few questions regarding your plumbing though.

1st, what you have you done to protect from the incredibly low return? IE, in the event of power outage won't you lose water down to that loc line level? Also, it doesn't look like your sump can hold that much additional water. Have you considered a check-valve on the return?

This is turning out to be a great build. I have a few questions regarding your plumbing though.

1st, what you have you done to protect from the incredibly low return? IE, in the event of power outage won't you lose water down to that loc line level? Also, it doesn't look like your sump can hold that much additional water. Have you considered a check-valve on the return?

Yes, the return line does have a check valve. To accommodate both the ball and check valve, I ended up having the check valve behind the sump, that's why you can't see it. You can see however, the 1/2 tubing that runs from the return pump, to the check valve. But you're right, it would be a disaster waiting to happen if I didn't have a check valve. :o

Archived