SaltCritters.com

2nd times the charm; Pic's Mini-s

picOnly

So my 2.5g nano reef has been running for just over 8 months now, and while i have found a lot of enjoyment in it, it never seems complete.

Time to build the pico reef i've wanted from the start. To do that, i'm pulling out all the stops to make the cleanest setup i possibly can. Here's the goal:

Picoreefmodelfront.jpg

The diplay tank showed up just this week.

P1010315.jpg

P1010314.jpg

For lighting i'm going to do this kit from Rapid:

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-61/06-...mium-LED/Detail

It's going to hang above the tank as i want the rim of the tank to be clear.

Right now i am really stuck on filtration. I was planning on a Glass Holes nano overflow with their 1/2" return kit. But i'm worried the overflow might take up too much space. The sump would be a standard AGA 2.5g with a rio return pump @ appoximately 150gph. I also have an Eheim 2213 but i've heard canister filters can become a serious problem in reef tanks, especially nano's. Here's how it would look with the present plan:

displayplumbing.jpg

I would really appreciate you're input on this be in positive or negative. Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then a sump/fuge it is! I'll be ording my overflow and return very soon.

I placed my order with RapidLED today. I purchased 4 cool white and 6 royal blue LED's, a constant current driver, 80* optics, 4.25x9in heatsink, and a hanging kit. Would it be better to go with an even, or a clustered layout?

If you haven't gotten a 2.5g yet, I'd get a 10g or at least a 5.5g to hold the equipment and offer more stability.

Well I have the 2.5 that currently houses my reef, but I may just grab a 5.5. It just doesn't make sense to have a sump larger than the dislay.

looks like your thinking things through.just dont rush your descision on super live rock

Ya, I really want this to be my dream pico reef. And what do you mean by super live rock?

Well I have the 2.5 that currently houses my reef, but I may just grab a 5.5. It just doesn't make sense to have a sump larger than the dislay.

Sure it does, it adds system stability, regardless of your display size. There's no required ratio of sump:display size.

Sure it does, it adds system stability, regardless of your display size. There's no required ratio of sump:display size.

True, sorry I forgot to mention that I'd like to keep the stand compact. But I'm now leaning more towards keeping it on a counter in which case I will deffinately go with a larger sump.

just some natural looking rock with a bunch of hitchhikers

Gotcha, hadn't heard that terminology before. I'm actually going to use the rock from my current setup as it's become a never ending battle against vermetid snails and hydroids. Should make for a great biological filter though! I also plan to put some mangroves in the fuge.

Alright so, LED's are comming tommorow. I'll update on those when they arrive.

In the meantime, I need some help deciding on a return setup. I'm deffinately doing the GH nano overflow, and my return is going to be a RIO 1000 running @around 150gph. I still want the overflow in the back, upper-left corner. The 1/2" return will be drilled beneath it. I'm just stuck on what to do after that! I had originally planned a wye lock-line with two flare nozzles, bit i'm concerned about deadspots and detritus buildup with that. I also considered a hydor flo deflector, but they're just too big and will kick up my sandbed. I want to keep SPS higher up, with zoa's, paly's, and a few LPS closer to the sandbed. I'd also love to have a Maxima clam on the sandbed.

Figured the bright minds of nano-reef might have a solution, thanks!

The locline and nozzles should be enough to configure away any deadspots. What size is this tank? 150gph could be a lot. I've got one of the Rio Taam's in my AIO, and it's about 200gph (because it really is lifting the water like half an inch and circulating the rest). That flow is making it a tad hard to find spots for low flow coral.

The locline and nozzles should be enough to configure away any deadspots. What size is this tank? 150gph could be a lot. I've got one of the Rio Taam's in my AIO, and it's about 200gph (because it really is lifting the water like half an inch and circulating the rest). That flow is making it a tad hard to find spots for low flow coral.

Here's a link for the tank: http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=123

I don't think 150gph will be excessive as i can configure the flow with the double nozzle return and i can always bring it down with a ball valve if need be. I figure it can't be worse than running an AC70 at full flow on a JBJ picotope(see plenty of those on here).

I have ordered the overflow, return, and majority of the plumbing. So expect to see some holes in this tank soon!

Until then, some pictures of the LED's from Rapid!

Everything I ordered:

-6 royal blue's

-4 cool white's

-LPC-35-700 driver

-4.25x9" heatsink

-extra wire

-hanging kit

-80* lenses (unused)

P1010360.jpg

Just and hour and a half later:

P1010363.jpg

I didn't expect them to be this bright!

P1010364.jpg

P1010369.jpg

So I'm having trouble deciding on a skimmer. I know the Tunze 9002 is considered to be the way to go, but with a total system volume of around 5 gallons, I think it may overskim. The aquaticlife 115 seems to be the next best option. I've read that they need work out of the box, but work well once modded. But still, this seems like overkill. I've also considered a DIY mame skimmer, that should provide less aggressive skimming than a Venturi right? I know I deffinately want one so that I can do less frequent WC's. This will be my first skimmer so any input is greatly appreciated!

Also, this will be my first time using a sump for filtration.

My current plan is:

Chamber 1- 100 micron filter sock and live rock

Chamber 2- deep bed of Caribsea arag-alive with some mangroves

Chamber 3- return pump and skimmer

Do I need any other media such as chemi-pure?

Thanks. I'm really happy with how it came out. The whole tank's really coming together exactly the way I wanted it. And just in time for Reefstock! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so since last update, I've painted the background and built the stand. Must say i'm quite satisfied with it.

P1010428.jpg

P1010429.jpg

P1010432.jpg

Tommorow is plumbing, sump construction, and finally getting it running! :D

Archived