Top Shelf Aquatics

[BC29] solefald's build thread

solefald

Last week I saw a stunning pink tube anemone at an LFS. After a few days of extensive research I could not find anything that would prevent me from getting one, plus the store had a crazy 25% off sale on EVERYTHING, so i bit the bullet and got two of them. A pink and a black ones. That and a Randall's Goby.

Just a heads up if you are thinking of getting a tube nem. Clowns don't host them, but they are less predatory than any other nem you could find in reef aquaria.

I will add my own photos later. But for now two that I found on the internets.

Pink tube anemone

Tube-Anemone-pink.jpg

Randall's Goby

p-71471-orangestripe-goby.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straight from iPhone. No shenanigans. Nice affect of iPhone's camera shortcoming of not being able to take pictures in blue LED light.

0ItVOl.jpg

Straight from iPhone. No shenanigans. Nice affect of iPhone's camera shortcoming of not being able to take pictures in blue LED light.

0ItVOl.jpg

luv the pic! great build. keep it up!

Thanks Armando! Appreciate that filter floss :)

No prob any time!

hey nice DIY led build. i just got an 12g Aquapod and im looking to get a LED kit from RapidLed. How do u like yours so far?

Love the LEDs. I mostly run 10 White and 4 UV together 4:30pm - 8pm and 10 Blues 8pm-12 am. Makes all colors pop like crazy!

Took a few crappy DSLR pics last night. My lens is a crappy "temporary" Tamron I picked up on CL couple of years ago when my 18-200 lens broke :(

Didn't have much time, so snapped them raw, played with white balance in Aperture for a minute and ended up with these. One of these days I'll have a better lens and more time to make photos look "pretty", but for now laugh at these :)

HHzXLl.jpg

2m6FDl.jpg

QwmQhl.jpg

8DHknl.jpg

MOAR PICTURES!

these came out better.

New Green BTA

lN2yml.jpg

Green tipped birdsnest

vr7MBl.jpg

Pink tube anemone

QU7BHl.jpg

Green Acan of some sort

s0EJNl.jpg

Red Mushroom. When I got it 3 weeks ago, it was no bigger than a pencil eraser. It completely covers the frag plug now

7zl9Sl.jpg

Watermelon and Devils Eye(?) zoas

2tM4Sl.jpg

Green Candy Cane

ZQ3f8l.jpg

Rics

F4nWUl.jpg

Leather of some sort.

sNyRHl.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg under a rock

FT3ofl.jpg

Argh. Came home last night to find my new BTA jammed between two rocks on the other side of the tank in very unnatural position, with its mouth gaping. I know they like to be in very tight spots, but it was clearly hurt. I lifted one rock and realized that there was a tear on its leg disk. Tried to get it off the rock it was on, but it it was attached pretty firmly and i did not want to hurt it even more.

Read some articles online and everything said that a body/leg tear are almost always fatal and a gaping mouth is sign of a dying nem :(

By this morning it looked nice and inflated, mouth is no longer open and it moved to another rock few inches away. Hopefully it will recover.

Going to remove couple of rocks from the tank too. I think I have too much

Looking good! Glad the nem is okay. I just got a BTA and it crammed itself under a ledge in the back where I can barely feed it or see it. DOH!

Looking good! Glad the nem is okay. I just got a BTA and it crammed itself under a ledge in the back where I can barely feed it or see it. DOH!

Thank you :) It seems to be doing great so far and the leg tear is not looking too bad, so I really hope it recovers.

I'm doing a water change tonight and will re-arrange everything in my tank and pull couple of rocks out. I definitely underestimated the importance of a good aquascape. My rocks are in really awkward positions, not very stable and I barely have any open sandbed. I guess we learn as we go...

Oh, and the thing that pisses me off about this damn tank is the lid. You can't just lift it up, like on BC8/14. You have to take the whole thing off, which is a drag, so I do everything inside the tank with one hand, and it's not very convenient or easy. On top of that, if I remove the lid, I am losing the lights over the tank, so I have to use external light.

I am never buying another AIO tank. This BC29 was a good idea, but very poor execution.

Hmmm, I very much enjoy my BC14. If I ever upgrade I probably won't stay AIO but the Nanocube 28 LED Pro looks quite nice. However, I'm thinking I'll convince my hubby to let me go to a 40B or something that will fit well on the buffet in our dining room in a couple years. Then I'd like to use the BC as just a frag and nem tank. :happy: I've surprised myself with how much I really like the nems. I wish I had a ton more room so I could have all kinds and all colors!

Archived