Innovative Marine Aquariums

Macro ID

metrokat

drunkenmonk21

I have the same plant it is very feathered, almost like the tips of C. Barbata but tons more of them, this has been growing in my tank since june and has had a very minimal growth rate in my tank. Im not saying that you should not remove it. Im saying it hasnt made any impact on my tank what so ever.

Okay wow. thanks everybody. So. The verdict is that GR called it, it is Caulerpa verticilata.

I still think it is Caulerpa verticilata based on the plant shape and tiered blades. I also think this is a fairly mature plant based on the length of the stipe which appears to be about an inch.

I do, however, agree that the plant will gradually spread, and the rock should be isolated from the rest of the rockwork if possible, to make pruning and control easier. From what I've read, blue-legged hermits love this plant.

It is on one rock ATM and my blue knuck hermit crabs love to yank it out!

:bowdown:

Hi Gr, to me it's hard to tell cuz I just don't/ can't see the fine "feathering" that C. verticilata is supposed to have as leaves. But if it is C. verticilata that would be very cool - not something seen often and I would pay to get a live sample of it :).

Same here Resonance. I certainly would buy a chunk - it's one of the nicer looking Caulerpa species.

Okay, so now I have this macro to send to you. :)

, so now I have this macro to send to you. :)

Me too?!

PS- I haven't seen my blue knuckles since I put em in the fuge... I wonder if they 'suicided' like yours did.. There's nowhere for them to really hide...

.We see it commonly out there, but it is kind of a pest b/c it grows so fast. There are some places though in the Florida Keys that are carpeted with it and it looks really attractive. Glad to hear they eat it though, I didn't realize that, most hermits do, but it is good to know for sure about one species at least.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the green and red macros here:

IMG_3731.JPG

Thanks

I don't know what the green one is, but the red one I had as HH on my Fl Gulf LR -- it grew nicely/quickly, but I am fond of plants! It never spread, but when algae ran low, both my turbo and red emerald ate it into nothingness in a very short period of time. It never came back. For the first month or so I had it, I would trim it a bit to keep it from looking to big in its spot. This didn't seem to harm it, but I don't know whether it encouraged growth. Sorry that I don't have a specific ID -- just some experience.

Archived