Cultivated Reef

New to Saltwater 15 gallon nano

ssteven1

I have kept freshwater for several years and have got the saltwater bug. I am space limited so I am trying to start a 15 gallon nano. So far I got a

A 15 gallon kit from petco,15 gallon tank, hood, 50 watt heater, filter for 39 dollars.

An oydessa 65 watt 50/50 power compact 40 dollars.

A Biocube 250 gph circulation fan (craigslist) 20 dollars.

A hydrometer 10 dollars.

15 Pounds of dry aragonite sand 12 dollars.

15 gallon of distilled water 11 dollars.

25 gallons worth of saltwater salt mix 12 dollars.

15 pounds of live rock (the lfs had 2 x 7.5 pound rocks left over and

were getting a new shipment in, so he sold then to me for 40 dollars.

A test kit I already had 0 dollars

thermometer I already had 0 dollars

Total so far 184 dollars

I got it set up and running now. Per the lfs advice I busted the live rock into small pieces for my nano.

It starting to look like a saltwater tank. :D

I still want ideas on stocking I am thinking

CUC of several snails, 2 hermit crabs,

one shrimp and

1 clown (Amphiprion ocellaris) or

2 clowns or

1 clown and one firefish or

1 clown and one watchman or clown goby.

I also want this tank to have some easy soft corals but I have no idea on corals yet.

I have time to think while waiting on my tank to stabilize. I do want a clown if possible and I want to be successful and not overstock. What do you guys think. Any opinions advice would be helpful.

post-70934-1327444502_thumb.jpg

post-70934-1327444522_thumb.jpg

:welcome:

I new to nano reefing as well, and started with (and still have) multiple FW tanks. I've have a 29 gal that's been up and running for about 15 months. So much fun :happydance:

I'm not the one to comment on the equipment, but your tank looks nice!

As for the fish... a pair of clowns would be nice (always wonder how a pair would have been compared to my singleton), but, I personally wanted more variety. From what I know, a firefish would be more in the mid-top range of the tank, where a watchmen would stay more at the bottom (YWG- my personal favorite). I like both, but I would make my decision based on where you want more movement. Clowns are funny creatures... Mine is hosted by a chunk of GHA smack in the middle of my tank, but they may pick out something anywhere in the tank (heaters, powerheads, etc.), or be very active and swim constantly. Silly little fish :P Have you considered anything like a Yellow Tail Damsel? I know some people think they are the devil, but my YTD is great :wub:

My first corals were a green mushroom (pretty low maintenance), and anthelia. The anthelia has been in my tank for 3-4 weeks and is already spreading omgomgomg I have a ricordea now that I love, too!

Enjoy!

Look'n good. :)

Frogspawn = soft and easy. Also, consider adding an Emerald Crab (Red or Green Mithrax) to your CUC. They're voracious and have been known to even eat Bubble algae, a real plus.

Look'n good. :)

Frogspawn = soft and easy. Also, consider adding an Emerald Crab (Red or Green Mithrax) to your CUC. They're voracious and have been known to even eat Bubble algae, a real plus.

I love my emerald crabs!! I've recently started out too and the biggest piece of advice I can give is to be patient! ...and as I recently learned, NO H2O Changes until cycle completes! From what I can see, your tank looks really nice! Keep up to good work and welcome to the fun! :)

Welcome to Nano Reef and good luck on your setup.

Have a quick read through this. A little outdated, and some things have changed, but good none the less.

It is coming along nicely. My levels are salinity 1.024, temp 80 dregees, 0 amonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. I am getting to diatom bloom. I added a small clean up crew of 2 hermit crab and 1 margarita snail. I also noted some pods.

post-70934-1327973532_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I have added 4 margarita snails, 2 cerith snails and 6 Nassarius Snail, 2 red leg hermit crabs for my CUC.

I have 1 Clown fish and a feather duster.

I want to add a yellow watchman goby and call it good on the fish, maybe a shrimp later. What to you guys think?

My levels are p 8.1, temp 79, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate to low to measure.

My diatom bloom is over and I am started to get green algae on my rocks.

feedback is appreciated :D

post-70934-1328801177_thumb.jpg

Nice looking tank so far! I just started too. I have a yellow watchmen paired with a pistol shirmp. They are pretty awesome to watch together, but they hide quite a bit too (not as much as they used to though).

I'd wait on another fish for at least 2 weeks. You've only had the tank set up for 2-3weeks and its going to have to adjust to the clownfish bioload. It might be fine, but it might not. I'd rather wait. Just to make sure. But wow, you clearly did your research and i love the way your tank looks and the hardscape! I'd go with some fool proof softies to start out, cabbage leather, xenia, GSP...a couple shrooms and some macros...just some ideas

I agree with ecogirl. The green algae is telling you to wait on that next fish, while a good hearty coral will add a lot of looks without much bioload.

I have a Randall Goby, similar to the Yellow Watchmen and also bought a pistol to pair it with. The pistol hides in my rocks, only ever showing a leg or two while cleaning out its burrow. The randall is a nice fish by itself, but I mostly only see it when its hungry.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an update. I have added a watchman goby, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I also got a clump a zoas and two small green mushrooms. Amonia, nittrite and nitrate are all still zero. Ph is 8.3. I got a phosphate test and is showing some phosphate but below .25 (i got the wrong test and is not sensitive enough. I an running some phosgaurd in my filter.

post-70934-1330313584_thumb.jpg

post-70934-1330313598_thumb.jpg

post-70934-1330313611_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This is an update. I have added a watchman goby, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I also got a clump a zoas and two small green mushrooms. Amonia, nittrite and nitrate are all still zero. Ph is 8.3. I got a phosphate test and is showing some phosphate but below .25 (i got the wrong test and is not sensitive enough. I an running some phosgaurd in my filter.

What lighting are you using?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just starting the exact same tank. I have to tell you that the way you 'scaped it makes it look a way bigger than a 15....VERY nice :)

Reefmaster1996
I love my emerald crabs!! I've recently started out too and the biggest piece of advice I can give is to be patient! ...and as I recently learned, NO H2O Changes until cycle completes! From what I can see, your tank looks really nice! Keep up to good work and welcome to the fun! :)

Patience is key to this hobby, if there is something you learn from this thread it is this!

UPDATE

I have added 4 margarita snails, 2 cerith snails and 6 Nassarius Snail, 2 red leg hermit crabs for my CUC.

I have 1 Clown fish and a feather duster.

I want to add a yellow watchman goby and call it good on the fish, maybe a shrimp later. What to you guys think?

My levels are p 8.1, temp 79, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate to low to measure.

My diatom bloom is over and I am started to get green algae on my rocks.

feedback is appreciated :D

Welcome, the diatom bloom was due to the excessive amounts of nitrate.

Patience is key to this hobby, if there is something you learn from this thread it is this!

Also Quarintining fish for 6 weeks before introducing them is a rookie mistake that I made and paid the price for it, yours look very healthy so I wouldn't worry , but consider it in the near future!

Also Quarintining fish for 6 weeks before introducing them is a rookie mistake that I made and paid the price for it, yours look very healthy so I wouldn't worry , but consider it in the near future!

Also I have a thread on this on the disease and pest forum on here called "Proper fish introduction..."

• 1 month later...

Tank update.

The tank is coming on 4 months old. I have learned a lot but it has been a fun experience. My major three are still alive clown fish, yellow watchman and cleaner shrimp. I added a condy anemone about 2 months ago (probably a mistake but it is doing well). My green mushroom have moved and made babies (from 2 to 5 mushrooms). The zoas have obviously grown and spread. I added a blue mushroom and some brown platys. My total coral budget has been 30$ so not bad.

I have had a algae problem on the sand that I am working on. I started out with about 1.5 inches of sand and did not suction it well enough so it became a nutrient trap. I removed a lot of my sand down to less than a .5 inches and vacuum it regularly and the algae is slowly better. It goes away at night but gets darker during the day. I am also getting a little bit of green hair algae on my rocks.

post-70934-1336999042_thumb.jpg

post-70934-1336999336_thumb.jpg

Tank looks good.Nice coraline algae. You want to move your power head up just a bit higher or point it up to get better surface movement for gas exchange. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Cool tank setup. It gives newbies like me faith that an empty 15 gallon tank an be converted into something so nice and straight forward! :)

• 1 month later...

Well my tank is still going. I have learned some things. My skunk cleaner molted and got stung by my condy. The condy was a bad idea anyway so back to the lfs it went. I have had slow but steady coraline growth, my zoas have about doubled in the number of heads, my mushrooms have went from 3 to to 12.

I also had a problem with dinos. I finally fixed that with a hydrogen peroxide dip for my rocks. I also switched over to a thin layer (1/4 inch) of finer sand. My sand was too large of grain and not thin enough (1 1/5 inch) and became a nutrient magnet and not deep enough to be a deep sand bed. I also decreased my feedings. My original clown, goby, hermit crab and several snails and still going strong. This picture was taken shortly after the peroxide dip and the corals are still pissed. The zoas look to be doing better, the mushrooms are still drawn up . Reading these forums have been very helpful.

This is my tank as of this morning.

post-70934-1341765036_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't know. They called it a hybrid. I don't know if it was a hybrid between a true perc and a false perc or a orange and black false perc.

he was 30 dollars. I got him after my first clown went carpet surfing about a month ago :(.

Archived