20 replies to this topic

dcel22

dcel22

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 22 Nov 2011
  • Southern California

BEWARE. I bought two clamps from these guys. One setup worked just fine. I had issues with the second though. The second boostLED lamp clamp was defective. The grounding terminal was sticking out towards the center of the socket. I then screwed the bulb in. As I screwed the bulb in this grounding contact punched through the tip of my bulb. The grounding contact then broke. So now I am out all the money for the bulb and the clamp.

I tried getting a hold of BoostLED. I sent an e-mail and called literally all day one day. No answer. Two business days later I get the following response.

We can send you a switch which is connected to the terminals. You will have to solder the wires together. But we are unable to ship a replacement clamp.

Sincerely,

Brian
BoostLED.com

So they expect me to buy a soldering iron and fix it myself? Also he conveniently doesn't answer about helping me out with replacing the bulb that broke. I sent a reply but I highly doubt they are going to based on Brian's previous reply.

If you buy these clamps be sure to check the ground terminal at the very least. It's a shame because I like the clamp. Just absolutely horrible customer service. Who sells a defective product and then asks you to buy a soldering iron and fix it yourself?

I've attached pictures of the damage. Just frustrating as many can imagine. Granted this clamp isn't super expensive, nor is the bulb. I am not out $100+ that I really didn't want to be. :angry:

Attached Thumbnails

• bulb.jpg
  • socket.jpg

Hoosierfan

Hoosierfan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 26 Feb 2008
  • Nicks English Hut, Bloomington, Indiana
I bought PAR30s from them which I love, but didn't get the clamps. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

dcel22

dcel22

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 22 Nov 2011
  • Southern California
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying their products are garbage. I on this occasion would say I got a bad product and just wasn't happy at all with the customer service to make things right. Now I am out $100+ which I really didn't want to be out. It sounds like from others that BoostLED's response time isn't that great as well. Just a caution to other buyers to mainly check this if they buy a clamp. Also I just feel that it's wrong to receive a defective part and expect that it is ok that it damaged your bulb and that you're expected to buy a soldering iron and fix it yourself. Extremely poor customer service if you ask me. Just had to vent somewhere about this.

Dani3d

Dani3d

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,610 posts
  • Joined 08 Jan 2010
wow...that's not the type of business I wish to buy from. I was going to buy 2 of these for my nano but now will skip and get the Ecoxotic instead. Thanks!

Daveg99

Daveg99

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • Joined 05 Oct 2006
  • Dallas, TX
I got m,y par38 from rapidled :)

BoostLED

BoostLED

Community Sponsor

• Sponsor
  • 733 posts
  • Joined 11 Aug 2010
  • California

BEWARE. I bought two clamps from these guys. One setup worked just fine. I had issues with the second though. The second boostLED lamp clamp was defective. The grounding terminal was sticking out towards the center of the socket. I then screwed the bulb in. As I screwed the bulb in this grounding contact punched through the tip of my bulb. The grounding contact then broke. So now I am out all the money for the bulb and the clamp.

I tried getting a hold of BoostLED. I sent an e-mail and called literally all day one day. No answer. Two business days later I get the following response.

We can send you a switch which is connected to the terminals. You will have to solder the wires together. But we are unable to ship a replacement clamp.

Sincerely,

Brian
BoostLED.com

So they expect me to buy a soldering iron and fix it myself? Also he conveniently doesn't answer about helping me out with replacing the bulb that broke. I sent a reply but I highly doubt they are going to based on Brian's previous reply.

If you buy these clamps be sure to check the ground terminal at the very least. It's a shame because I like the clamp. Just absolutely horrible customer service. Who sells a defective product and then asks you to buy a soldering iron and fix it yourself?

I've attached pictures of the damage. Just frustrating as many can imagine. Granted this clamp isn't super expensive, nor is the bulb. I am not out $100+ that I really didn't want to be. :angry:

Sorry for the inconvenience, we understand how frustrating this maybe for you. Please understand that we try our best to accomodate our customers needs given the different circumstances.

kgoldy

kgoldy

Lazy Reefer

• Members
  • 3,636 posts
  • Joined 02 Jun 2010
  • Long Island, NY

Sorry for the inconvenience, we understand how frustrating this maybe for you. Please understand that we try our best to accomodate our customers needs given the different circumstances.

Woah there, Boost-

I was one of your earliest adopters, and when I had a problem with my first unit you replaced it for free without hesitation, and I've been singing your praises ever since because of my experience with great customer service.

I'm sad to see you dropping the ball on this one...

BoostLED

BoostLED

Community Sponsor

• Sponsor
  • 733 posts
  • Joined 11 Aug 2010
  • California

Woah there, Boost-

I was one of your earliest adopters, and when I had a problem with my first unit you replaced it for free without hesitation, and I've been singing your praises ever since because of my experience with great customer service.

I'm sad to see you dropping the ball on this one...

We appreciate you having faith in us, and hope to continue and improve our customer service where it may be lacking.

Fluffeh

Fluffeh

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,893 posts
  • Joined 02 Nov 2010
wow, if the unit was really defective and they aren't going to replace it for a new one that's very disappointing to hear. definitely not a company i'd want to do business with.

1fishmonger

1fishmonger

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,047 posts
  • Joined 08 Sep 2010
So is the guy getting a new bulb and clamp? Seems like it's the right thing to do unless the damage was not due to a defective product...

Sad to see a squeaky wheel not getting the grease. Makes you wonder how many non squeaky wheels have been affected.

The dollar amount is not important - Right is right, wrong is wrong. I hope this gets taken care of appropriately.

MetaTank

MetaTank

Mmmmm....Cookies!!

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 27 Nov 2011
  • Somewhere between the Ocean and the Mountains of SoCal
Yikes! No replacement? Bad business, Boost...Definately not ordering anything from you now. If I purchase a pair of jeans, but the zipper won't zip up, they don't send me a new zipper and tell me to sew it on myself...

You sent a defective product, which in turn destroyed the OP's bulb...Whose fault it that? I don't think i've ever checked the connections on a lamp before screwing in a bulb...

Bad businesss indeed.....

Always Tanking
>^..^<
Meta

Meta's DoubleVision Picotope Paradise

kgoldy

kgoldy

Lazy Reefer

• Members
  • 3,636 posts
  • Joined 02 Jun 2010
  • Long Island, NY
To the OP-

You purchased online, so my assumption is that you paid either with credit card, or through PayPal (or a combination thereof). Either one will ensure that you get refunded in cases like this- especially being that you have photographic evidence to back up your claims. BoostLED's online "no expressed or implied warranty" page on their website won't hold up if the item literally broke in your hands before you even got to use it.

While you may lose out on shipping (as you'll be required to return the items) you'll get the bulk of your money returned.

dcel22

dcel22

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 22 Nov 2011
  • Southern California
So I think things are hopefully getting somewhat straightened out. I am still bummed that they won't help me out on the bulb more but it is what it is I guess. BoostLED seems to think that the bulb was defective and that they don't know the condition of the bulb since they didn't sell it to me. I offered to show an invoice for the bulb to show that it truly was new. Below is the response I got.

Hi Joe,

As mentioned before, I apologize about the issues you've had with the clamp and we will gladly replace it. However, we will not be replacing the PAR38 since we did not sell you the PAR38 nor shall take any responsibility due to its potential manufacturer defects.

If you are interested in a PAR30 kit, we can offer you a discount on the PAR30 lamp.

Please let us know.

Sincerely,

John
BoostLED.com

I'm glad that they're doing something. It might not be everything but at least it is something.

On the other hand I called up LEDwholesalers. They're going to ship me a brand new base for my bulb without an hesitation at all!!!!! I STRONGLY recommend these guys based on customer service. Hopefully I am just as happy with the bulbs. It looks like people on here have been though so I am sure things will work out!

Anyway I've given BoostLED my shipping info and requested just the replacement clamp. I will let you all know when I receive my replacement clamp. Hopefully later this week or early next week.

Thank you everyone for comments. This whole thing has just been a struggle and frustrating. If you get a clamp just check that grounding terminal first!

THANKS!

Yikes! No replacement? Bad business, Boost...Definately not ordering anything from you now. If I purchase a pair of jeans, but the zipper won't zip up, they don't send me a new zipper and tell me to sew it on myself...

You sent a defective product, which in turn destroyed the OP's bulb...Whose fault it that? I don't think i've ever checked the connections on a lamp before screwing in a bulb...

Bad businesss indeed.....

Funny but I couldn't agree more!

To the OP-

You purchased online, so my assumption is that you paid either with credit card, or through PayPal (or a combination thereof). Either one will ensure that you get refunded in cases like this- especially being that you have photographic evidence to back up your claims. BoostLED's online "no expressed or implied warranty" page on their website won't hold up if the item literally broke in your hands before you even got to use it.

While you may lose out on shipping (as you'll be required to return the items) you'll get the bulk of your money returned.

Great idea. It looks like I should be all set. Just need to get my hands on a soldering iron to get the LEDwholesalers base soldered in. This is probably going to be the quickest and most pain free way to go about it at this point now. Thanks!

1fishmonger

1fishmonger

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,047 posts
  • Joined 08 Sep 2010

We appreciate you having faith in us, and hope to continue and improve our customer service where it may be lacking.

^Gotta love the canned response. It is an election year so maybe something's in the air :D

scoke99

scoke99

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 17 Jan 2012
I had the same thing that happened to me in Nov. I spent all this money and two of the clamps broke on me and one of my par30's went right into the tank. I was so pissed. I called them sent them the broken stuff and nothing was done. I lost out on money. Good luck

dcel22

dcel22

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 22 Nov 2011
  • Southern California
Just got the replacement clamp. Thanks Boost. Thanks everyone for your comments.

kgoldy

kgoldy

Lazy Reefer

• Members
  • 3,636 posts
  • Joined 02 Jun 2010
  • Long Island, NY
Faith in Boost restored. ;)

Bishop

Bishop

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • Joined 10 Nov 2010
I like to see a picture of that boost clamp even holding up the weight of a par38 bulb.

skittles

skittles

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 21 Jan 2012
I was going to buy some lighting from boost led for my frag tank.
......not anymore.

BoostLED

BoostLED

Community Sponsor

• Sponsor
  • 733 posts
  • Joined 11 Aug 2010
  • California

I like to see a picture of that boost clamp even holding up the weight of a par38 bulb.

Here you go...

http://www.nano-reef...?...73808&st=20

http://www.google.co...5xq6J-JAuHKiYQI

Edited by BoostLED, 28 January 2012 - 10:14 AM.

Daveg99

Daveg99

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • Joined 05 Oct 2006
  • Dallas, TX
the replaced the clamp which is all they are obligated to do. Sounds like they took care of it reasonably. I was thinking about buying a par30 from them but decided on the par38 from rapid due to the extra 2 led's