Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

Found the Current USA forum. Apparently I should have received a loc-line part to attach the tubing to the return hole but some people never received it. It is now discontinued but they said "Usually a 3/8" barbed elbow will work fine." I asked if I could still participate in the exchange program for the recall... waiting for response.

Potential electrical hazard risk resulting in shock.

How old is your tank? And which part is the hazard?

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How old is your tank? And which part is the hazard?

I think I got it 4-5 years ago. It was a present.

The plug for the wall to the ballasts I think... cause they want you to cut the cords and mail it to them. I still have the ballasts but don't use them.

In the meantime....

I have a need for a frag rack for the first time ever!!! omgomgomg Built this one last night. Just super glued it to a suction cup. For $10 I got 5 species:

2 little blue mushrooms

Cabbage leather

A small piece of red monti- is colony was bleaching but he thinks it might come back

A branching SPS

And the big piece- thought he said it was scroll coral but it doesn't look like the ones on Google.

I'm sending him a message to confirm the names.

Oh and a 3-armed little star :wub: Went to get the camera phone when I saw it, but it scurried under a rock and I didn't want to stress it more.

2012-02-09_01-12-47_652.jpg

Speaking of stars... can you find them? :happy:

2012-02-09_01-14-24_366.jpg

My monti cap is turning green! You can't tell in the photo... so just trust me ;) You can see Bozo and Bailey wanted in on the photo.

2012-02-09_01-18-27_382.jpg

The two SPS he gave me are pavona and purple monti digi.

He just wanted to know my tank specs and surprise me so I didn't choose :lol:

So now what... I guess I need to get a calcium test kit? I assume with such a small tank and not huge SPS colonies, weekly water changes give me enough calcium, strontium, and trace elements? *commences SPS research*

It would be nice for you to test your calcium so you know where you're at. Do you test your dkh?

The API Reef Master is a great kit and is what I use, the only thing missing is a Mag test, which I guess I'm going to have to order.

I can tell you that in my tank my calc and dkh was super high and so I stopped doing water changes, with 10 SPS and 2 LPS it took 4 weeks to get to where I needed to raise my levels. So yes I think your water changes will be good enough to keep your levels in range.

Nice new frags btw. :)

It would be nice for you to test your calcium so you know where you're at. Do you test your dkh?

The API Reef Master is a great kit and is what I use, the only thing missing is a Mag test, which I guess I'm going to have to order.

I can tell you that in my tank my calc and dkh was super high and so I stopped doing water changes, with 10 SPS and 2 LPS it took 4 weeks to get to where I needed to raise my levels. So yes I think your water changes will be good enough to keep your levels in range.

Nice new frags btw. :)

+1 on the API Reef Master kit. That's what I use. I wonder why Joel can keep his Ca up for so long. In between weekly water changes mine drops down to 380 ppm or so, when it should be at 400-450 ppm. That was before I got my new SPS frags. Although I do have a ton of LPS corals. I'd recommend testing a bunch at first and figure out how long before your Ca drops. If it doesn't make it to your next water change, then you can look into dosing. I use B-Ionic which has worked great so far.

Nice new frags :)

I can tell you that in my tank my calc and dkh was super high and so I stopped doing water changes, with 10 SPS and 2 LPS it took 4 weeks to get to where I needed to raise my levels.

Really? Were you dosing? I hear about people adding stuff to their tank so I think "hmm should I be doing that?"

I have that instant ocean test kit.

pH, Alkalinity, Ammonia Test, Nitrite, Nitrate

Last time I check alk it was a little on the low side. I need to test again... and more regularly and record it. I'd like to see how stable it is since it's still fairly new. Ever heard of this program, ReefCon?

I was thinking for future test kits, I'd buy individual Salifert ones. I'm surprised to hear you use API. Those are the bane of existence on my local forum. People tell you to throw it away and buy an expensive one before anything else. Weird.

+1 on the API Reef Master kit. That's what I use. I wonder why Joel can keep his Ca up for so long. In between weekly water changes mine drops down to 380 ppm or so, when it should be at 400-450 ppm. That was before I got my new SPS frags. Although I do have a ton of LPS corals. I'd recommend testing a bunch at first and figure out how long before your Ca drops. If it doesn't make it to your next water change, then you can look into dosing. I use B-Ionic which has worked great so far.

So I'll get a test kit and test everyday and see what happens with it during my weekly cycle of water change, sound like a plan?

The reason mine stayed high so long was a combination of oversized water changes, lack of coral taking in calc, and something you'll find out too, larger tanks are different chemistry wise. I can't explain why, but my dkh doesn't drop below 11. It just doesn't. I'm going to try b-ionic if I end up not liking kalk. I went with kalk because they didn't have b-ionic. :lol: I like to order as few things as I can.

Really? Were you dosing? I hear about people adding stuff to their tank so I think "hmm should I be doing that?"

I have that instant ocean test kit.

pH, Alkalinity, Ammonia Test, Nitrite, Nitrate

Last time I check alk it was a little on the low side. I need to test again... and more regularly and record it. I'd like to see how stable it is since it's still fairly new. Ever heard of this program, ReefCon?

I was thinking for future test kits, I'd buy individual Salifert ones. I'm surprised to hear you use API. Those are the bane of existence on my local forum. People tell you to throw it away and buy an expensive one before anything else. Weird.

I wasn't dosing for those 4 weeks, I am now. I just bought some liquid calcium to get it back from 380 to 460. But I've been dosing Iodine for about 8 months with great results. Soft coral really color up and it helps your inverts molt, among other benefits. I was dosing strontium but I've not done it long enough to see a result. I also bought so kalkwasser mix for my ato which has calcium, magnesium and strontium in it so I shouldn't have to dosing once I get them back into range.

If your alk, and you're right it's all the same thing, is low, odds are your calc is low too.

People who tell you to throw away test kits because they aren't the ones they use suffer from extreme sandyvagitis and need to be treated with Johnson and Johnson No More Tears Baby Shampoo. All hobby grade test kits have large margins of error. The salifert tests are a waste of money IMO because most params have an accepted range and as long as you know you're in that range your tank will be happy.

My dad works for Pfizer and I can send my water to his lab to have some params tested with industry standard equipment but it's not really needed. :)

I have not heard of that ReefCon program.

Also, what salt do you use? You can raise your params by changing salts too.

What a deal on the frags! A little time in your tank and some TLC....well worth the effort. And imagine the accomplishment you'll feel when they are fully colored up :)

Maybe you'll get lucky and that green monti will have a purple rim. Apparently that's more valuable :happy:

What a deal on the frags! A little time in your tank and some TLC....well worth the effort. And imagine the accomplishment you'll feel when they are fully colored up :)

Maybe you'll get lucky and that green monti will have a purple rim. Apparently that's more valuable :happy:

I didn't know the purple rim made them more valuable. My new one that I got for free has a purple rim. Cool :)

I went with kalk because they didn't have b-ionic. :lol: I like to order as few things as I can.

I order almost everything online. I like to be a :ninja: Plus then I don't have to worry about the crazies in the city :scarry:

Because of money and just learning, I think I'm going to start with just calcium. I've heard not to dose something unless you're testing for it... so maybe iodine in the future.

People who tell you to throw away test kits because they aren't the ones they use suffer from extreme sandyvagitis and need to be treated with Johnson and Johnson No More Tears Baby Shampoo.

I love you people on this forum.

Also, what salt do you use? You can raise your params by changing salts too.

The regular instant ocean one but I just bought a small thing of the reef crystals on. Should I change slowly like you do a dog's food? haha

:o They do that?! It's looking good (I think.. I don't know how it's supposed to look haha) and there's polyps all over it. The new tiny red one I'm not sure about... it's definitely going to take a while if it comes back. The other new corals seem like they are acclimating well so far.

I didn't know the purple rim made them more valuable. My new one that I got for free has a purple rim. Cool :)

Sweet!

Update from last night:

Look who made an appearance!!!!! omgomgomg:happydance::wub:

2012-02-09_17-35-13_537.jpg

Here is the filter pad on top of the biger piece I cut it from. Used for three days. I think it was a good buy :o

2012-02-09_23-30-54_779.jpg

Found a few of these baby snails. They are round and have a nice pattern with a point in the middle. I assume they are babies from my astreas or nerites?

2012-02-09_22-50-19_767.jpg

I saw a ricordea and a paly poop. That was cool. And Bozo is so freakin fat. I wish I could get a photo cause you can practically count the mysis in this belly. He's gonna have a nice poop later.

Put that surface skimmer back on and added a dimmer for my LEDs and turned it down some for the new corals. I had no idea a dimmer would be so cool. It looks better not on full blast.

It was a good night in my reef :)

It was a good night in my reef :)

Sounds like it :)

I'm going by the price I see from Vivid Aquariums. The plain green monti is much less expensive than the green monti with purple rim. It's designer. Maybe ORA? Not sure, can't remember. I just know there is a huge price difference between the two.

Plus then I don't have to worry about the crazies in the city :scarry:

:lol: Oh, Atlanta... :lol:

The regular instant ocean one but I just bought a small thing of the reef crystals on. Should I change slowly like you do a dog's food? haha

You should be able to just switch straight over with no issues. That's what I did when I switched from plain IO to reef crystals. I didn't have any issues from doing that.

I'm going by the price I see from Vivid Aquariums. The plain green monti is much less expensive than the green monti with purple rim. It's designer. Maybe ORA? Not sure, can't remember. I just know there is a huge price difference between the two.

Hmmm, cool. That's something to keep in mind if I ever start selling frags. Although, I mostly plan to trade some of you guys for things I like in your tanks :D

Hmmm, cool. That's something to keep in mind if I ever start selling frags. Although, I mostly plan to trade some of you guys for things I like in your tanks :D

I need to get better stuff for our future trades B)

Nice deal on the new frags! Did you hit up a petco? Just kidding. Cool frag rack. I thought about using a suction cup plastic soapdish from walmart.

I need to get better stuff for our future trades B)

Most everyone has that problem. When you start you just buy buy buy coral then when you get the hang of it you start becoming more selective about what you put in.

Most everyone has that problem. When you start you just buy buy buy coral then when you get the hang of it you start becoming more selective about what you put in.

Amen on that! +1 :D, etc!

Looking good!

The little snail you found is most likely collonista snail. I have tons of them that came with my live rock. They stay tiny and are like mini turbo snails. Great cleaners

Nice deal on the new frags! Did you hit up a petco? Just kidding. Cool frag rack. I thought about using a suction cup plastic soapdish from walmart.

haha I do have a $5 off coupon for Petco. Maybe I'll find a dumb employee and get a sweet deal. I just got that suction cut from walmart in their bath section. The little basket the rock rubble is in temporarily came from there too. I'm surprised how strongly it's holding. I can barely get it off!

:) And when they grow out and I'm ready for other stuff, I'll give it to new tanks or sell it for cheap.

Looking good!

The little snail you found is most likely collonista snail. I have tons of them that came with my live rock. They stay tiny and are like mini turbo snails. Great cleaners

Sweet! Good to know.

Rics look good

Just got home after being in the mountains for the weekend. It didn't get above 27 there so I know if was pretty cold here to. My temp is 70. SEVENTY. But oddly everything seems fine... open and there's been some growth in the GSP and a couple baby palys. Bozo and Bailey seem normal. Made sure my heater was working... it is. Turned it up a bit to bring the temp back up slowly. I'm definitely buying one of those hagen jager heaters.

Does the damage from a temp drop show immediately or later?

Archived