SaltCritters.com

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me knowhow that maxi works in there! Thats also the circulation pump I want, nobody around me sells them :(. But I have everything else in that box. Literally. Haha. I think i trashed to much cheato this time tho. I gotta pick some up asap.

Here's what I have so far.

Chamber one- a media rack with a platform at the top to hold the filter pad.

Chamber two- water comes up through chemi-pure on the bottom of the media rack. There's space to put purigen on the top of the media rack.

Chamber three- water flows into this one with a waterfall making a splashing sound. In the future this will be chaeto... but the water level is half the level of the tank now that I added the filter pad and chemi-pure, so there's not much room. Before these additions, water level was even.

Chamber four- heater and maxi-jet pro 900. I had to put two different sized tubes together cause the one that fits the return hole in the wall doesn't fit the maxi-jet's output.

Spare piece of egg crate for fish wall.

I visited my parents recently and found the old box that this tank came in. I don't know why I ever thought it was a JBJ because it's an Aquapod. No onder it's slightly different... but the hood and the original bulbs and stuff was exactly the same as the original JBJ. Weird.

Question: Will it kind of shock the system to put the chemi-pure and purigen in at the same time? I removed carbon and those ceramic cylinder things tonight. They were icky!

2012-02-07_21-46-00_889.jpg

The basket with rock rubble in the tank is the leftover from my rock smashing night... not really sure what to do with it so I just put it there to keep it alive.

The white square in the back is a piece from a water jug. That way all the water that goes to the back must go through the filter pad at the top. Who knows why they designed it that way. There's a third grate at the bottom covered by sand. I need a black piece of plastic.

I need advice on where to place the koralia. It seems like it has more flow than the return... but that's a maxi-jet 900 and the koralia is a 240. I stirred up debris in the water from my playing around and it just seems to be going in a circle in the water column and not getting sucked to the back. Suggestions?

My fingers are covered in super glue :angry:

Oh and I moved the rock with the cloves to the back cause half of them are closed up and wilted looking. So I guess I'll try a different location. Is that what people call melting?

2012-02-07_21-46-30_200.jpg

Gotta love superglue fingers :lol:

I have the same effect with the placement of my powerhead. I think the only way to get the water to push toward toward the overflow would be to put it on the opposite side of the tank from where it is. I have mine placed exactly where yours is.

surgicalsense

Looks great Ethan. Our cheapest wine I have ever bought was Charles Shaw or what we like to call, Two Buck Chuck. Purchased at our local Trader Joe's ;) ... and it is actually safe/pleasent on the pallet :lol:

Wait no.. I just looked at your FTS. aaah I'm confused.

Looks great Ethan. Our cheapest wine I have ever bought was Charles Shaw or what we like to call, Two Buck Chuck. Purchased at our local Trader Joe's ;) ... and it is actually safe/pleasent on the pallet :lol:

Ha! I've heard of Two Buck Chuck... but no Trader Joes near me.

I also got a modular surface skimmer. I looks like Gena's overflow. Was your built in? Mine I just hold there and it holds with suction. But it makes my water level too high and the water just flows over the back wall. I dunno how that works.

I think I'm going crazy tonight. I bought fish, chicken, and veggies at the store. Got home with veggies. Store doesn't have a bag of fish and chicken. ugh. I'm going to bed.

My surface skimmer is exactly like yours. It just stays there by suction from the water flow. When the pump turns off, the surface skimmer detaches.

Sorry...I confused you. I was saying that my powerhead (mp10) is placed in exactly the same spot you have yours. I get that swirly effect you were talking about an not much flow to the surface skimmer. I think if you place the pump on the opposite side it would correct that. I leave mine where it is because it's near the wall and less obtrusive to the eye over there.

Did the grocery store forget to pack your chicken and fish???????

Yeah that skimmer is like mine... but I apparently don't need it cause the water level in the back drops really low with it in place.

Ah gotcha. I'll play around with it tomorrow. The only one who sees my tank is me. And all of you haha.

I figured out why the return doesn't seem very strong, water is pushing back from where the tube connects to the hole back into the chamber. Now how in the world do I fix that? I feel like my experience has digressed to complete newb :tears:

I have no idea what happened. My girlfriend doesn't think I spent enough to have included those two items. Maybe the person in line behind me got extra food. It was a mad house. I hate the city.

Yeah that skimmer is like mine... but I apparently don't need it cause the water level in the back drops really low with it in place.

Ah gotcha. I'll play around with it tomorrow. The only one who sees my tank is me. And all of you haha.

I figured out why the return doesn't seem very strong, water is pushing back from where the tube connects to the hole back into the chamber. Now how in the world do I fix that? I feel like my experience has digressed to complete newb :tears:

I have no idea what happened. My girlfriend doesn't think I spent enough to have included those two items. Maybe the person in line behind me got extra food. It was a mad house. I hate the city.

You have to raise or lower the surface skimmer. This adjusts the flow in the back. The water level on the back wall of my tank is nearly to the top. If I push the surface skimmer down, the level goes down and the level in the back chambers goes up. Does that make sense? If it's too low in back, fill it up with water. It's so difficult to explain :lol:

Try to figure out the surface skimmer. It's quite good to have on there.

Sounds like you might need to change the size of the tubing?

It's the same tubing that's been in there from the beginning. Maybe the flow is more powerful and now pushing it back? How do I know what size tubing to get? Am I annoying yet?

I was wondering if I could get some kind of sealer to put around the tube but then I wouldn't be able to get it back out. Maybe an o-ring or rubber ring to squish in there? Or I could take the two pieces of tubing I have to Home Depot and say "I need one smaller than this one but bigger than that one." haha

My tubing has a black hard plastic L shaped piece connected to it which then connects to the output hole in the wall. Do you have that piece? If not, that might be the problem.

Nope. I just have a piece of plastic tubing that came with the tank years ago. No attachments. Sigh.

Call the company and tell them you need that part. I bet you can buy it :)

But I never had that part. I don't think it exists. See what I mean?

Waaah I hate talking on the phone.

I got more coral!!!!!!!!!! Photos tomorrow. It's past 2 am my time :o Gotta be up at 6:30.

Found the Current USA forum. Apparently I should have received a loc-line part to attach the tubing to the return hole but some people never received it. It is now discontinued but they said "Usually a 3/8" barbed elbow will work fine." I asked if I could still participate in the exchange program for the recall... waiting for response.

recalled for what?

Potential electrical hazard risk resulting in shock.

Archived