Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

Before

2012-02-28_22-58-46_434.jpg

After (either stung by yumas or super glue). This is an improvement though. You can see the polyps are starting to pop back out.

2012-03-08_18-29-15_882.jpg

I finally did my first calcium test and I have between 320 and 340mg/L (ppm). I read here that the ideal is 400-475. I am mixing up water tonight and will change it Sunday or Monday and test it again. (I'm gone this week to celebrate my best lesbian friends getting engaged at a cabin in Pigeon Forge, TN!!! :wub: ) I've been a little slack on water changes lately. I'm hoping regular weekly water changes will keep it up, if not, what do you fine people recommend to add?

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brightwell Aquatics Calcion. I went from 300ppm to 460ppm in less than a week following their max dosing regiment to raise parameters. Also, if that's low, test your mag, it probably is low too. For that, Magnesion is good too.

Now I use BA Kalk+2 kalkwasser in my ato.

Brightwell Aquatics Calcion. I went from 300ppm to 460ppm in less than a week following their max dosing regiment to raise parameters. Also, if that's low, test your mag, it probably is low too. For that, Magnesion is good too.

Now I use BA Kalk+2 kalkwasser in my ato.

I don't have a mag test kit. I'll get some of that. I hate to admit I still haven't set up my ATO I got. I set it up with the reservoir but haven't perfected it to work... there's just not much room in the back chambers.

I haven't tested in a long time.

pH: 8.1

Alk: 3mEq/L or 8.4DKH

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: <10

Nitrite: 0

SG: 1.023 (I'm going to bring it up some)

Does anyone else go through web sites and build shopping carts of stuff they want... I've done that three times tonight. There's so many different kinds of coral I want... but I'm trying so hard not to spend money :angry:

Does anyone else go through web sites and build shopping carts of stuff they want... I've done that three times tonight. There's so many different kinds of coral I want... but I'm trying so hard not to spend money :angry:

I keep tabs on Diver's Den daily updates but that's about it. I try to avoid it to prevent myself from spending money. :lol:

I have a big shopping list waiting for me at Mr Coral, just debating if I wanna shell out that much for shipping... But I believe it would still work out to about $12/coral, including the freebies, which is a good deal. Hmm.

Whew. I'm not the only one. I unsubscribed myself from all those daily deal emails so I would stop buying #### lol. I've unsubscribed myself from some coral emails too. le sigh. BUT I have another $5 off Petco coupon now :happy:

Last night I sucked out red flatworms with an airline tub. I got all the ones I could find. I'm sure there's more but I'm glad they are easily controlled.

When siphoning gets annoying (it will), get some flatworm exit and treat the tank after your siphoning. You shouldn't have to worry about fouling the water if it's only killing a few that are out of sight. I got lucky and on my second or third round of siphoning I seemed to have got them all. With that huge patch of yumas though I doubt you'll be so lucky, considering I found many living on the underside of the yumas. Even though they aren't great, they are certainly not the worst thing to have.

I have a few still but I only did one dose of FW Exit and killed off 99.9% of the tiny red guys. Never had an issue with the tank, corals stayed open and fish all did well.

I am using the Brightwell that Joel suggested, very easy to use and safe as well. I like it!

Removing pests is such a pain... Sometimes I feel like we spend more time worrying about unwanted things than the things we actually buy and put in the tank! :wacko:

When siphoning gets annoying (it will), get some flatworm exit

I was gonna say "no chemicals for me!" but you were right. I got home yesterday and there were even more than I siphoned out the day before! <_<

I have a few still but I only did one dose of FW Exit and killed off 99.9% of the tiny red guys. Never had an issue with the tank, corals stayed open and fish all did well.

I am using the Brightwell that Joel suggested, very easy to use and safe as well. I like it!

Good to know it worked well. I'll be investing in both!

Removing pests is such a pain... Sometimes I feel like we spend more time worrying about unwanted things than the things we actually buy and put in the tank! :wacko:

lol

I do this all the time on the coral websites. Then I remind myself that I don't have the space or the money and that I swore off ordering coral over the internet.

I was gonna say "no chemicals for me!" but you were right. I got home yesterday and there were even more than I siphoned out the day before! <_<

Listen to Joel. He recommended red slimer remover for my cyano and it completely knocked it out in one treatment. He knows what he's talking about :D

Good luck getting them all taken care of. Pests... :angry:

Bozo is missing. I might cry.

Wait. Found him in the last chamber where the pump is. The chamber goes back up under the previous chambers. It's going to be a ##### to get him out.

He's in there. The net fits but only at an angle... about to try my hand.

2012-03-13_18-48-49_397.jpg

I'm not sure how I would take the chambers out or how the water would flow correctly.

Freedom! I warped the net frame to get him in the corner. Bailey and Pierre checked him out. He seems to be swimming more spastically than usual but not physically harmed. Uh... disregard the algae. I want to trade that rock at a LFS but haven't had the time yet.

2012-03-13_19-05-06_68.jpg

So glad he's not dead :wub:

Awe...thank goodness he wasn't injured!!!!! I've been trying to keep my water level low in the display to avoid just that!!!! One of my gobies made it into the back, but luckily not the return pump chamber!

Im glad ur fish is alright.

Heck in my old 46bow. I have a chromis that made it through my overflow that was covered. down the 1" drain pipe. through a ball valve. dumped into the fuge area of my sump and got pured over into the return pump area of sump. the return pump did not have a gaurd at all. it was there for 2days liveing under the pump before I noticed him there. Now hes the only fish in my 10gal. he lives. and is in good health. fish are amazing sometimes.

I'm glad you found your fish! Good thing you figured out how to get him out of there... Damn tricky fish that get into everything! :P

He made it! good job dude! brilliant bending the net

Ha thanks. I was like DUH when I did it.

Awe...thank goodness he wasn't injured!!!!! I've been trying to keep my water level low in the display to avoid just that!!!! One of my gobies made it into the back, but luckily not the return pump chamber!

I'm glad too :) I like having as much water as possible and I had some egg crate back there but Bozo is small enough to go through the holes. They are so tiny :wub:

Im glad ur fish is alright.

Heck in my old 46bow. I have a chromis that made it through my overflow that was covered. down the 1" drain pipe. through a ball valve. dumped into the fuge area of my sump and got pured over into the return pump area of sump. the return pump did not have a gaurd at all. it was there for 2days liveing under the pump before I noticed him there. Now hes the only fish in my 10gal. he lives. and is in good health. fish are amazing sometimes.

Wow :o They are amazing.

I cleaned the tank and changed 2 gallons of water. I'll see if the calcium is up tomorrow. I hope it helps my sps improve. There's a bit of algae (I just haven't cleaned the sides in a whole, honestly) and it looks like some of it is on my monti.

Glad your clown is ok! My YWG got in the overflow box for my skimmer a while back. I ended up having to pick him up out of there by hand.

I'm glad you found your fish! Good thing you figured out how to get him out of there... Damn tricky fish that get into everything! :P

:P

Glad your clown is ok! My YWG got in the overflow box for my skimmer a while back. I ended up having to pick him up out of there by hand.

Yeah I was going to but by the time I got my arm down the chamber, I couldn't see anything haha.

So the monti issue... It has lost some color in the middle and has brown tips on the front left piece. Maybe its just algae from my recent lack of water changes? Maybe lack of calcium? Maybe just new growth in the monti instead of the tips expanding?

Feb 28th

2012-02-28_17-55-37_721.jpg

March 13th

2012-03-13_21-47-13_27.jpg

2012-03-13_21-48-02_486.jpg

Funny how they try to get in my photos but when I want to take a photo of them, it's impossible.

2012-03-13_21-47-03_59.jpg

The view from my bed B) I'm in the 3rd season of LOST now.

2012-03-14_00-13-25_52.jpg

Archived