Dan's 50gal Mixed Reef Build; Powered by 3 Kessils

DansTundra

4-21-12 FTS:

6954623290_1977999d0e_z.jpg

50gal FTS by voodoodan_net, on Flickr

2-2-12 FTS:

6809994405_ec62d36046_z.jpg

New 50 gal by voodoodan_net, on Flickr

Well I tore down my freshwater discus tank to have this setup as a reef tank. So the madness starts with buying stuff again LOL

Empty FTS(Still needs to be cleaned out a bit):

50gal-dry.jpg

Here is a list of what's I on order and I have already. Thanks to BRS, Diablo Coral, and nano-reef members!

2x 15k Kessil 150w LED's

Rio 1700 return pump

300gph overflow box(think it's an older cpr)

2x K2 pump

MP10 ES

RKL

50 Pounds of dry rock from BRS

40pound of live sand

Misc plumbing parts

Reef Octopus 4" Recirculating Skimmer

JBJ 1/15 Chiller

CPR wet/dry filter used as a sump

I have one question about sumps. Should I get a cheap glass tank or use my CPR wet/dry and convert it into a sump?

What are the dimensions on the tank and what brand (Sea Clear maybe)?

You could just convert the wet/dry and just use it as a sump. Personally I would go for what gives you more sump space for equipment and fits under your stand. It shouldn't matter which you use since it will be out of sight when your stand is closed.

You will really like the kessils. Nice lights.

What are the dimensions on the tank and what brand (Sea Clear maybe)?

You could just convert the wet/dry and just use it as a sump. Personally I would go for what gives you more sump space for equipment and fits under your stand. It shouldn't matter which you use since it will be out of sight when your stand is closed.

You will really like the kessils. Nice lights.

It's a 36in sea clear. I really don't need to much space since my skimmer is external.

Two kessils will do nice with that size tank.

It always helps to have room for upgrading equipment in the sump. If your stand is not much longer than your tank you may want to go with a glass tank. You could go with a 20L, 20 H, 15, or a 10 for a sump and get away with it fine. If your existing skimmer is external then maybe the 20H, 15 or 10 since it would leave some more room for things like reactors, ATO reservoirs, and storing things. You may need that space as you move along.

Two kessils will do nice with that size tank.

It always helps to have room for upgrading equipment in the sump. If your stand is not much longer than your tank you may want to go with a glass tank. You could go with a 20L, 20 H, 15, or a 10 for a sump and get away with it fine. If your existing skimmer is external then maybe the 20H, 15 or 10 since it would leave some more room for things like reactors, ATO reservoirs, and storing things. You may need that space as you move along.

Cool. I just remembered I have a 10gal tank in storage also. I will try both and see what I come up with.

On a side note I had to get a new overflow box as my cpr one will not fit on my tank without cutting it up. I picked up a Eshopps pf300 and fits perfect. It looks 100 times better and matches my tank also. Also I forgot about a jbj ato. I think I will be waiting till next month for that purchase.

I can't wait to see the lights. They should be at the store tomorrow to pickup after work.

It's all up and running now. I still need to mount my 2 lights so I am using my double bright till that is done. I am also not 100% sure about the rock scape yet.

fts-012912.jpg

Glad to see this going from fresh to salt. Looks like you've got a nice equipment list. It's just my opinion but I would rework the rock scape before you get to far down the stocking path. Better to get a scape that you love now then wait.

Glad to see this going from fresh to salt. Looks like you've got a nice equipment list. It's just my opinion but I would rework the rock scape before you get to far down the stocking path. Better to get a scape that you love now then wait.

Don't worry I will be doing that. I will probably being moving the rock tonight or saturday.

New updates.

Live stock: CUC added. 1 clownfish, and 3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis added.

hardware: Added a 2nd k2 pump and jbj ato.

fts-021412.jpg

Also changed the scape with the rocks to add some caves.

• 1 month later...

Lots of changes since my last update.

New FTS:

7055408291_873ee4dcd0_c.jpg

50gal FTS by voodoodan_net, on Flickr

SPS, LPS, and zoa's have been added to the tank. Had bad luck with fish with ich break out so a few are in a 25gal qt tank right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa, Coral shopping have we? Lol Looks good.

At this rate you'll need to upsize to a bigger tank.

Thanks and I sure have been. Also been moving things from the bc29 to it also.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice tank!!

Hey just wondering about the kessils ... how far apart do you have the 15k and 10k, and do they mix or is it obvious looking at the tank where each colour is focused?

Very nice tank!!

Hey just wondering about the kessils ... how far apart do you have the 15k and 10k, and do they mix or is it obvious looking at the tank where each colour is focused?

Thanks! The 15k's are on the ends with 10k in the middle. They are about 6in's from each other. The color mixed very well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized I don't have a fish stock list

Pair of ORA Picasso Clown

Solar wrasse

Orange back wrasse

Exquisite wrasse

Six Line wrasse

Purple Tang

Randell's Gobby (always hides and never see him)

Archived