inTank Media Baskets

JayPagi's Shallow Reef

JayPagi

Okay so after analyzing the stand a bit I determined there were a couple of week points so I took some 2 x 3's and BEEFED it up. Basically I supported the middle shelf which is only held in place my dowels.

6763083425_f52f789115_z.jpg

I also modified the Elos Osmocontroller Sump bracket so I could use it on my tank. I trimmed it down, applied heat and bent it over. Then drilled some larger holes for 2 suction cups. It's not fancy but it works... here it is.

I need to get some hose then test the system I will let everyone know how it goes.

6763086993_07f0584ac3_z.jpg

6763090115_cecaeb2dd9_z.jpg

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how much did the rock from ecoreefer cost with shipping?

It looks great and I need some rock for the frag tank; I want to try something new and I like the idea of pest free

how much did the rock from ecoreefer cost with shipping?

It looks great and I need some rock for the frag tank; I want to try something new and I like the idea of pest free

It's awesome rock to build with and the amount of rubble I have left over will be great for frags down the road. I actually have a larger piece I didn't use either. Total cost after shipping ($12 Canada Post) was $54.00.

I got the idea to use this rock from this thread The 45 Gallon Decision

Love the dimensions of this tank, love the scape and the perspective it provides. Can't wait to see where you go with this.

Hey thanks alot... this website is the best source for inspiration. Neither can I I'm getting restless LOL.

That DIY LED setup is amazing!

No kidding, one of the best DIY setups I've seen.

Thanks for compliments guys. I hope it still looks nice when the cord is connected.

cant wait for more updates
Wow this is a sick tank, subscribing.

Thanks peeps!

So I just ran the tubing and plugged in the Elos Osmocontroller results to follow.

So after a few days of messing around with the Elos Osmocontroller it's working great... I'm so impressed with it. My only complaint is it doesn't have a clear water level line and you don't really know were the low and high levels are until it operates. The instructions say to place the tip 1 to 3mm below water level but that resulted in the water level being to high. I finally have it at the mid point of the sensor and its working great. I used the old tank clip from an MJ600 I had to hold the 3/8" return line in place. It turned out to be an almost exact fit; it compressed the tube just a little but didn't restrict the flow any. I also added a Koralia Nano 425 for some extra flow. I really wanted an MP10 but it's not in the budget right now besides this Nano 425 is working out well. I'm still waiting for my hanging kit to arrive before I can get my light above the tank and finally start taking some decent pics. In the mean time here are a few shots.

6810095885_e1afaa8661_z.jpg

6810096977_8c99d533f6_z.jpg

6810004473_2f2f1a04d7_z.jpg

phi delt reefer

Awesome tank jay - sorry i didnt come see it sooner!

with very little live rock and no sump you will need to be smart with your stocking. A couple fish and more corals instead. Be prepared for weird algae outbreaks but dont give up. My tank looked like a mess for months and its finally coming back.

you can optimize your filtration by filling that canister with high surface area bio media like seachem matrix or Sera Sipromax. i would pre-filter first with some floss, then run some chemipure elite then the bio media.

the key to bio media is keeping it super clean - no dietrus should touch it or it clogs the pores. you also need to make sure its never exposed to air or it will kill the bacterial colonies.

the other thing you will want to do is take all those di cartridges from your new ro unit and make they are all vertical or you will get channeling through each cartridge. you may need to get some extra ro tubing to do it but it will give you 0 TDS for a long time if you do so.

looks good man, i'll be following this build closely!

Awesome tank jay - sorry i didnt come see it sooner!

with very little live rock and no sump you will need to be smart with your stocking. A couple fish and more corals instead. Be prepared for weird algae outbreaks but dont give up. My tank looked like a mess for months and its finally coming back.

you can optimize your filtration by filling that canister with high surface area bio media like seachem matrix or Sera Sipromax. i would pre-filter first with some floss, then run some chemipure elite then the bio media.

the key to bio media is keeping it super clean - no dietrus should touch it or it clogs the pores. you also need to make sure its never exposed to air or it will kill the bacterial colonies.

the other thing you will want to do is take all those di cartridges from your new ro unit and make they are all vertical or you will get channeling through each cartridge. you may need to get some extra ro tubing to do it but it will give you 0 TDS for a long time if you do so.

looks good man, i'll be following this build closely!

Thanks for the great advise and compliments. I think I will give the tank a couple more weeks before transferring my corals over (from my 5.5) and adding some livestock. I don't want to over stock this tank too much but I'm thinking I want to add a clown, a goby and a couple shrimp or crabs. Whatever livestock I decide on I will add it slowly.

I will def give that bio media a shot... tell me does it need replacing or the idea is to let it act like LR? I should have enough tubing left over to change the di cartridges vertically... what a great tip.

So after a few days of messing around with the Elos Osmocontroller it's working great... I'm so impressed with it. My only complaint is it doesn't have a clear water level line and you don't really know were the low and high levels are until it operates. The instructions say to place the tip 1 to 3mm below water level but that resulted in the water level being to high. I finally have it at the mid point of the sensor and its working great. I used the old tank clip from an MJ600 I had to hold the 3/8" return line in place. It turned out to be an almost exact fit; it compressed the tube just a little but didn't restrict the flow any. I also added a Koralia Nano 425 for some extra flow. I really wanted an MP10 but it's not in the budget right now besides this Nano 425 is working out well. I'm still waiting for my hanging kit to arrive before I can get my light above the tank and finally start taking some decent pics. In the mean time here are a few shots.

6810095885_e1afaa8661_z.jpg

6810096977_8c99d533f6_z.jpg

6810004473_2f2f1a04d7_z.jpg

man that make me want that ato bad.

phi delt reefer

Bio media is like live rock. U never replace it. Just keep it.as.clean as u possibly can and u will he golden. A neat trick is totake some and put it in a filter bag and then throw it in an established reefers tank for a couple weeks then bring it over to ur tank so u now have his or her good bacteria helping ur tank along. I am doing something similar with my sump, my friend should have my biomedia over to me tommorow. My tank is.stocked to the max and then some so with very little live rock things get out of balnce quick.

man that make me want that ato bad.

You should it's a great product. I'd like to add that Elos should create a clip for use in the display tank. They send a clip but it's designed for a sump application where the water level is a lot lower than in the display tank. I had to create my own and will likely have to refine it a bit until it's perfect.

Bio media is like live rock. U never replace it. Just keep it.as.clean as u possibly can and u will he golden. A neat trick is totake some and put it in a filter bag and then throw it in an established reefers tank for a couple weeks then bring it over to ur tank so u now have his or her good bacteria helping ur tank along. I am doing something similar with my sump, my friend should have my biomedia over to me tommorow. My tank is.stocked to the max and then some so with very little live rock things get out of balnce quick.

Thanks again for your help phi this is great advise. I'm going to go out and purchase some Bio media this weekend. I will place the bag in my 5.5 for a couple of weeks before adding it to my tank. BTW are you a Western grad?

You should it's a great product. I'd like to add that Elos should create a clip for use in the display tank. They send a clip but it's designed for a sump application where the water level is a lot lower than in the display tank. I had to create my own and will likely have to refine it a bit until it's perfect.

i really like the clip that you used for the ro water. where can i get that? or you have one that i could buy from you?

Looking good Jay! Can't wait to see that light mounted above that tank. I think you're first full tank shot is deceiving. That photo shows the overflow on the left side, but in the rest of your shots its on the right side. Mirror effect??

phi delt reefer

Thanks again for your help phi this is great advise. I'm going to go out and purchase some Bio media this weekend. I will place the bag in my 5.5 for a couple of weeks before adding it to my tank. BTW are you a Western grad?

got a year left actually - took a few years off. Just re-applied last week. :D

i really like the clip that you used for the ro water. where can i get that? or you have one that i could buy from you?

Its one the clips that comes with the older Marineland Maxi Jet pumps. I modified the last one I had. If you buy an older MJ400 you will get the clip and have an extra powerhead. Not sure if this clip comes on the newer models.

Looking good Jay! Can't wait to see that light mounted above that tank. I think you're first full tank shot is deceiving. That photo shows the overflow on the left side, but in the rest of your shots its on the right side. Mirror effect??

Neither can I. It's always been on the right I guess the reflections are playing tricks.

got a year left actually - took a few years off. Just re-applied last week. :D

Good luck! My brother is a Western engineering grad and my cousin is a Delta Upsilon alumni.

this build looks great! the dimensions of that tank are dope, and the way you laid out the rock is sick, i love it. cant wait to see that light lit up above the tank! great build!

Its one the clips that comes with the older Marineland Maxi Jet pumps. I modified the last one I had. If you buy an older MJ400 you will get the clip and have an extra powerhead. Not sure if this clip comes on the newer models.

awesome thanks man. ill keep a look out for one.

Archived