Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Spot Cardinal Fish

RDtrack

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these fish? I know that earlier web postings, post 2011, stated that these were difficult fish to keep alive, due to shipping conditions and somewhat water temperature.

How do they work for schooling in a nano reef? What temperature do you keep them at?

Any info would be appreciated.

I had a mini school for a while and they started to breed within the first few months but lost them to a power outage. I plan getting a big school of them in the next few months. Though they seem to have a fast metabolism and do better with more small feelings through out the day. Otherwise hardy fish but make sure to get them eating soon as possible because most are super thin when they are shipped. I would feed them with, Rod's food, and numerous mixed variety frozen packs. After a while some would take in a whole PE mysis.

Thanks for the responses. I recently last week purchase four of them. From what I had read the real challenge is to get them to eat. They were eating like pigs at the LFS and have not stopped. So, so far, so good; fat little healthy guys. I'm feeding cyclop-eeze currently mixed in with mysis.

Wasn't sure I'd like them much since they remind me a lot of the neon schools I had when I did freshwater. But they are growing on me, much more in a smaller tank where you can appreciate the coloring up close (neon blue strip, with the red dot on the tail).

I had a mini school for a while and they started to breed within the first few months but lost them to a power outage. I plan getting a big school of them in the next few months. Though they seem to have a fast metabolism and do better with more small feelings through out the day. Otherwise hardy fish but make sure to get them eating soon as possible because most are super thin when they are shipped. I would feed them with, Rod's food, and numerous mixed variety frozen packs. After a while some would take in a whole PE mysis.

Sucks to hear about your loss.

I started out with 5, but now have only 1. Seems they started to die one by one. Don't know if it was due to aggression between themselves or not. The lone one survivor is goin' strong!

How long did you have the five, or maybe I should ask how long did it take you to reach one?

Like you said, today I notice that a couple of the bigger ones were eating the large pieces of mysis.

Sucks to hear about your loss.

I started out with 5, but now have only 1. Seems they started to die one by one. Don't know if it was due to aggression between themselves or not. The lone one survivor is goin' strong!

Thanks but I just found a store who can order a bunch more. It would nice to have a school of a dozen or so.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased 3 for my tank 3 weeks ago. One disappeared a week ago. I don't know if he jumped out of the tank, which would have been tough since a cover is on my tank or something ate it. My fish are peaceful and all are pretty small so I don't know what happened. I checked the carpet...and no fish. Maybe my pup ate it if it did infact jump out. One died on Tuesday this week. I don't think he was eating. I woke up one morning for work and I saw him swimming around but having trouble with the current. 30 minutes later before heading out, I noticed him dead against my powerhead's grate. The last one is doing great. He's swimming around, eating and pooping the biggests turds,

My LFS had a shipment of a 3 and they ate everything. Someone came in and bought them before I could make up my mind on buying them. He then got in an order of 12 and lost six in transport. The others weren't eating that day so I passed on them. They had just came in that day though. I came in a few days later and some were eating the brine shrimp I asked them to drop in teh tank. I took three random ones home.

I told them I wanted more, so they are putting an order in for me. WIth these fish, it's like a waiting game because they are so finnicky. Make sure their bellies stay fat and just do the best you can.

My tank is at 78-81 degrees and there is enough flow to keep them busy. The one I have now loves Rod's Original Blend. It will pick at frozen mysis, brine and squid It won't touch dry.

• 4 years later...
Imprezadude

I know this is a old topic but would like to add my thoughts. they don't ship well, one of them was dead when I got it. ordered 3 and my other two are living and seem to have made a little brother, big brother bond. like flow but not power blasting sps flow, and better get them a V.i.p. card to frozen rod food, they got a stomach. they like to eat, but not much food, better to give them smaller meals throw out the day/week, then one big meal per a day.

Archived