ReefCleaners.org

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

Thanks!

I decided to go to Lowes on my lunch break and stock up on more glue and epoxy. Fixed some areas that were loose and added glue to a few hidden areas too.

Hopefully this is all dry tomorrow and solid. If so...time for an RO/DI bath.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came in this morning and everything was solid and dry. I put it in my bucket of RO/DI water.

scapebath.jpg

Do I need to have a powerhead/pump going in there with it?

Came in this morning and everything was solid and dry. I put it in my bucket of RO/DI water.

scapebath.jpg

Do I need to have a powerhead/pump going in there with it?

not a must but it wouldn't hurt... it should be OK without ... just swish it around a little...your water didn't cloud like mine did... must have been very clean dry rock

not a must but it wouldn't hurt... it should be OK without ... just swish it around a little...your water didn't cloud like mine did... must have been very clean dry rock

Cool. Thanks!

Yeah, it is very clean rock. Came from marcorocks.com. Got it during their weekly cherryscape contest :)

I assume it is best to let it sit overnight in the RO/DI or should I be OK to remove later today since it seems pretty clean ?

Cool. Thanks!

Yeah, it is very clean rock. Came from marcorocks.com. Got it during their weekly cherryscape contest :)

I assume it is best to let it sit overnight in the RO/DI or should I be OK to remove later today since it seems pretty clean ?

with how clean that stuff is i would just only let it soak for like 6 to 8 hours

cant wait to see it on the tank

:happydance:omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg:happydance::P

Lol...Thanks! Sorry about the crappy pictures. I have no idea how to take them with LED lighting. Especially since I'm just using my phone currently.

I see a spot on the left that he would love!

Hopefully if I get one he doesn't destroy my structure! :)

looking so nice man. how do you like the tank over all?

So far so good. Still tweaking the powerheads a bit to adjust for flow but it is nice. I think I have them just right at the moment, but we'll see. The problem I was running into was that it was pumping out more water than it was taking in through the overflow. Thus, the back area would not have enough water in it. I think I have that fixed though.

On a separate note, I'm having some massive temperature swings! My office isn't heated very well. When I leave at 5pm, and come back at 8am it drops from 77 to 72. Right now I have the heater in the back chambers. Wanted to keep it back there to keep it looking clean.

Any thoughts suggestions?

maybe some sort of lid to keep the heat in would help.

Maybe. But the heater and temp probe are in the back section, not the front. A lid would only cover the front.

So here is a layout of what I'm thinking for coral placement:

Black = Acan

Red = Zoa

Blue = SPS

White = No Idea?

Sandbed (not pictured but could consider the white paper I guess lol) = Ric Yuma

scapecoral.jpg

Will this work OK? Open for suggestions and need ideas for the white area please.

I think the white would be awesome with more zoas ricordias and maybe a cool mermaids fan or gorgonian

I like the idea of some florida rics on the left white spot. Will research the others you listed.

Will what I have suggested thus far work ok though (as far as temperament goes)?

I like the idea of some florida rics on the left white spot. Will research the others you listed.

Will what I have suggested thus far work ok though (as far as temperament goes)?

Yeah! Looks great!

Its funny, my hammer is the nice coral and has never attacked nearby corals, but my Lobo brain is the mean one... just about dissolved one of my acans. I'm kinda glad it did because when it healed up it had 3 times the amount of baby heads on it=)

Help!

Ok, I'm in need of some help/suggestions please.

My office is not heated very well. When I'm here, I run a space heater in the winter just to keep it warm. However, I can't run the space heater when I'm not here (work won't allow it). Anyways, I came in today and my water temp was at 68!

I have a 25W heater that is set to 77 and a RKL that is controlling it. I can crank the heater up to a higher temp (all the way up if necessary to 89 I think) in hopes that this will put out more heat when the temp in my office drops. I'm concerned though that if for some reason my RKL fails, then the tank would be cooked.

Do I need to upgrade to a 50W heater? Would this put out more heat quicker? What other options do I have?

If I can't control the temp swings, I'm not so sure this office Pico is going to work :(.

Yiles!

if your heater is running all the time and not able to maintain your desired temp i would get a bigger heater for sure.... get 50 or 100 watt. as far as i know your heater is either on or off... turning it up wont make it run hotter. Your RLK should keep your heater in check and i set my heater to 1 deg above what my rkl is set. that way if the RK gives out it will only go up 1 deg

Yiles!

if your heater is running all the time and not able to maintain your desired temp i would get a bigger heater for sure.... get 50 or 100 watt. as far as i know your heater is either on or off... turning it up wont make it run hotter. Your RLK should keep your heater in check and i set my heater to 1 deg above what my rkl is set. that way if the RK gives out it will only go up 1 deg

The only other thing I can think of is where I have the heater and temp prob. Currently, my back section is divided into 3 sections. The far left has the heater, and the far right has the temp prob. Both sides (far left and right) have return pumps. I could move the heater and temp prob to the display area, but I wanted to keep that area clean looking. Do you think this would help though if I moved it?

The only other thing I can think of is where I have the heater and temp prob. Currently, my back section is divided into 3 sections. The far left has the heater, and the far right has the temp prob. Both sides (far left and right) have return pumps. I could move the heater and temp prob to the display area, but I wanted to keep that area clean looking. Do you think this would help though if I moved it?

I would try only moving the temp probe to the display and see what happens. Your back chambers might be warmer than the display and the RLK thinks your tank is warm enough but its not. are you getting your 68 deg temp reading from the rkl the way it is set up right now... or from a thermometer in the display. If your rkl is giving you the temp reading while the probe is in the back i would def get a bigger heater

I would try only moving the temp probe to the display and see what happens. Your back chambers might be warmer than the display and the RLK thinks your tank is warm enough but its not. are you getting your 68 deg temp reading from the rkl the way it is set up right now... or from a thermometer in the display. If your rkl is giving you the temp reading while the probe is in the back i would def get a bigger heater

My RKL is the only temp probe I have. It is in the back right chamber. The RKL was displaying 68 this morning.

My RKL is the only temp probe I have. It is in the back right chamber. The RKL was displaying 68 this morning.

OK... that seems like your heater just doesn't have the power to keep you tank warm enough. 25 watt heaters are not very powerful for a 5.5 gallon. I am running a 50 watt and have had no probs keeping my temp stable. Just think... a 50 watt is twice as powerful.

i believe most 50 watt and 25 watt heaters are the same size, so you shouldn't lose any room in the back

Archived