Pod Your Reef

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

friend made a large order from him too. all the coral was super amazing.

there is another place that is local to us as well.

http://www.tidalgardens.com/

couple of the local guys were gonna take a ride out there sometime if youre interested youre more then welcome to come as well

Cool. I'll let ya know. Probably going to be a bit before I purchase anymore. See how these do first and get this Pico up and going 100%.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I did some test aquascaping at lunch today and here is what I've come up with:

scape.jpg

It isn't glued yet, but I wanted to see how it would fit and what it would look like.

Thoughts/Feedback/Suggestions?

Scape looks great but I would go for a few more flat areas that create plates or shelves.

What light are you putting on this?

Light is a BoostLED Par30

Hey looks Great I ordered some corals from Reef Pets recently to he was local for me also. I know its down the road a ways but when I get to fragging some maybe we could do some trade. I like the scape keep us informed.

Hey looks Great I ordered some corals from Reef Pets recently to he was local for me also. I know its down the road a ways but when I get to fragging some maybe we could do some trade. I like the scape keep us informed.

Thanks. I'd be up for that down the road. I'm sure it is going to be a good while before I'm anywhere near ready to start fraging lol.

Looks great! ccapasso =)

I agree with a little more flat spots for corals ... but other than that its a A+++++++ scape!

keep up the great work!

Thanks! I will take apart and try to add more flat areas. The only way I've really found to do that is to turn the rock upside down? Does that make sense lol ?

On thing that i realized is when you start to epoxy the rocks together that you can bend the laws of gravity... when you just stack rocks they have to balance on the rock below... but add epoxy into the mix and you can make a rock go into a tottaly new direction that stacking just wont let you. play around with it and you will find some new ideas... i really like what you have going on

On thing that i realized is when you start to epoxy the rocks together that you can bend the laws of gravity... when you just stack rocks they have to balance on the rock below... but add epoxy into the mix and you can make a rock go into a tottaly new direction that stacking just wont let you. play around with it and you will find some new ideas... i really like what you have going on

Ohhh yesss.....Epoxy and I are about to become best friends. Probably today....(hopefully).

Ok...Here is a different scape. Similar to the first, but I was able to turn 2 of the left side pieces over to make for 2 flat areas. I know you can't tell very well from the picture, but the middle piece and the left piece under it are both flat areas.

It is also a bit shorter now.

scape2.jpg

Thoughts?

Awesome!

the only idea i can come up with is to take out these and make a little lower ledge and cave... just a thought

Well, those 2 pieces were all part of 1 big piece. However, I managed to find some smaller chunks and replace the big piece. So it turned out like this so far:

scape3.jpg

Thoughts?

Perfect! imo... that gives you a sweet spot for zoas or rics and stuff

I love it... plus is added more caves! I wouldnt touch a thing! This is gonna be sweet!

Perfect! imo... that gives you a sweet spot for zoas or rics and stuff

I love it... plus is added more caves! I wouldnt touch a thing! This is gonna be sweet!

Cool. Thanks for the input!

So now I have to glue it. Should I wash them first then glue or glue then wash, or wash then glue then wash again lol?

Lastly, I have a bucket of RO/DI water that already has salt in it (I mixed it for this tank). Can I just use that bucket and place these pieces in there or should I use unsalted RO/DI water ?

Cool. Thanks for the input!

So now I have to glue it. Should I wash them first then glue or glue then wash, or wash then glue then wash again lol?

Lastly, I have a bucket of RO/DI water that already has salt in it (I mixed it for this tank). Can I just use that bucket and place these pieces in there or should I use unsalted RO/DI water ?

I washed mine before and after. I wouldn't use the salt water for your tank if you are gonna use it to wash the rocks. Its amazing how much the rocks will cloud the water. I let my rocks sit in RODI overnight before i glued them... but i also glued the rocks after i smashed them up and they had dust on them... i just brushed the dust of with a paint brush

i think you could just glue and let dry for a day and them give a nice soak in rodi when you are all done and be fine

i think you could just glue and let dry for a day and them give a nice soak in rodi when you are all done and be fine

+1 to this, exactly what I would do. just make sure you're glue / epoxy are cured 100%...I've made that mistake before...turned out to be a very saggy rock structure :P

Great job! You took the time and came out with a really amazing scape!

Thanks!

Came in this morning and it looked dry. I picked it up to move it into the RO/DI bucket and noticed it wasn't completely settled. May have to add more glue/epoxy (which I left at home...grrrr).

Anyways, here is a picture I took last night of my new Zoa frag. It is in my 55g currently and will move into this when ready:

394157_10150514183758097_649278096_8981639_61890603_n.jpg

Archived