Top Shelf Aquatics

Ballz' 2.5G Dwarf Puffer Tank

iball1804

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Omygosh, B!!!!! We're gonna be like twins or something :flower:

I have xmas moss, pennywort, dwarf anubias, crypt parva, and ludwigia in my little tank. Oh and one moss ball. I don't have room for much else. I'm gonna see how these fare for me. So far so good. I put a few drops of flourish excel in everyday and the comprehensive supplement twice a week. Everything is growing GREAT!

I'm going to get a otocinclus. That's what the LFS plant expert guy suggested to me.

Looking forward to seeing ours grow together :)

Gena, twinsies! :wub: Hopefully this little tank will become something very pretty.

I picked of the SeaChem Tabs, some random snails (ramshorn?), a little oto and some Dwarf Hair grass. I can't get it to stay planted in my .5" on sand. Should I add more? 1" of sand? 1.5" of sand?

6709835253_b07a7087a1.jpg

6709842739_136e0b3366.jpg

6709844527_6ac0403c57.jpg

I apologize for the blurry pictures and foggy water. The stupid gel crap wouldn't come off the hair grass, so it fogged the water! :angry: I added the rock from my creek, mainly to hold down the grass until they take hold, though I don't think it looks half bad.

So I got home, put the tabs into the sand, put in the snails, little oto and then the grass. Considering everything put into this tank was previously cycled, I added some Nite-Out II to be safe :happy:

Comments? Suggestions? Expect a puffer in this tank in about a month until it stabilizes and I add many more plants! omgomgomg

lol if i were a fish i would look like the one on your glass

this is exciting :)

:wub::lol:

You will get the grass to spread faster if you break it up into a bunch of little clumps.

Hmmmmmm... For now I'll keep it together, mainly because I want it to hide the heater. If I need more, I'll get more.

are you going to order the puffer online..?

i don't know about tennesse, but we don't have any here. i'd never even heard of dwarf freshwater puffers till i saw your thread

Little beans with brains :wub:

That's what they look like :happy:

Yes! :haha:

Cute little guys, though I expect mean.

Yes, very mean. That's why I'm keeping only one. I'm glad you keep coming back to my thread. I need real advice from experienced people.

IT'S ADORABLE.

:happy: Yuuuuuup!

IMO get some of the hardy super fast growing plants if you are expecting a puffer fish in a month, very cute! Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) are great hardy plants, I have one it grows at least an inch every week! It's so large it takes up half of my 20 gallon planted tank!

IMO get some of the hardy super fast growing plants if you are expecting a puffer fish in a month, very cute! Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) are great hardy plants, I have one it grows at least an inch every week! It's so large it takes up half of my 20 gallon planted tank!

I'll probably get some, thanks! :eek: That's crazy growth...

Yes, very mean. That's why I'm keeping only one. I'm glad you keep coming back to my thread. I need real advice from experienced people.

I will offer any advice I can. A lot of the stuff your using though I have no experience with, never tried flourish tabs or an all sand substrate, so I won't be able to tell you much on those. It is a pretty tank though so I am hoping it works out.

I will offer any advice I can. A lot of the stuff your using though I have no experience with, never tried flourish tabs or an all sand substrate, so I won't be able to tell you much on those. It is a pretty tank though so I am hoping it works out.

:lol: I'm probably doing it all wrong! Yeah I'm hoping it'll come to fruition

Wisteria is a great plant. I keep it in my tank most of the time, I replant about once a year, and it is really hardy. It may be a bit too aggressive though for a tank this size. Once it reaches the surface it will start to spread out and starve your other plants of light. That will pretty much require you top it. Once you do that it will start to spread from the lower branches. Once it does that you will need to either keep pruning it which will start to make it look unusual with all the stumps on the plant or pull it cut off all the good branches and replant those. It will also make an extensive root system which will make pulling it kid of messy as it will really disrupt your substrate. That will work fine but if your not into replanting your tank you may not want to go that route.

You will get the grass to spread faster if you break it up into a bunch of little clumps.

+1

that is how you plant hairgrass most of the time if you want a carpet.

I didn't expect fish in this so soon. i thought you were going to be building this slower..that's why i suggested the dry start, and using organic soil as the base layer. its all too late now because it will be a drag to rebuild everything...

The only advice i can offer at the moment is that if the oto dies, then you are starting this up too fast/incorrectly.

Archived