Pod Your Reef

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

• 2 months later...

Long time no see NR. things have been.... not the best. The zoa sickness is striking again; this time it's the eagle eyes.... sigh. I've separated the original frag from the rest of the colony, and it seems to be fine for now, but I have no high hopes....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
hypostatic

how are things going? zoas recovering?

Hey, sorry I've fallen off the NR face of the Earth, work has gotten the best of me.

The zoa sickness seems to have stopped it's crusade in my tank. Looking at older posts, I sure had a lot of different zoas at one point... I literally don't know what happened to most of them. I think I would go on vacation and they would disappear..... Now I'm down to like 7 types...

but yeah, no new stuff to report really. I thought I'd take some quick phone pictures for you guys (sorry for the weird colors and low quality). I'm slowly building a micro mini carpet nem army:

3AuN0Ib.jpg

Oh I also got a hybrid maroon and perc (or occelaris?) clown to keep my lone occ company. My occ has gotten much bolder, buttttt also has turned into sorta a jerk, and attacks the glass whenever someone walks past haha. At least they're not hiding anymore. Oh, and they've also decided to make homes in two of the gonis. They gonis didn't really seem to care, but they were just loosely stuck into the sand, and the clowns kept knocking them over. Soooo I decided i'd cement the frags onto the bottom glass to keep the clowns from killing the corals. Both parties seem to be accepting the accommodations:

r62Q8L0.jpg

And that's pretty much it. Happy reefing.

• Like 4
hypostatic

oh i also forgot to post this pic, which is why I wanted to post in the first place. I found a asterina starfish in my tank that is munching on some cyano red slime that's growing on some of the glass. I thought you guys would enjoy this; you can see the circles where the asterina has been munching on the cyano:
ecnM2fH.jpg

• Like 4
FlowerMama

I have to say that's cute and helpful to know. Don't throw them to the harlequin shrimp! It's the next cyano fleet! A force needs to be started. They could be rented out!

Twinkle twinkle little star...

• Like 1
hypostatic

Hey NR community. Just wanted to give a little update. Guess last post was about 5-6 years ago. I had some rough times over the last few years, and the tank suffered as a result. Almost everything had died as a result, except a couple of corals -- ironically the goni's, which are supposed to be super sensitive lol.

Anyway, I've been trying since last winter to bring the tank back from the brink of death. I've finally been able to turn things around to where the tank isn't constantly covered in algae/cyano, so I'm slowly starting to get back into things.

I'll be posting pictures/updates soon. The tank is nowhere close to where it was at it's heyday; I'd like to look at this as a new start.

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
thecoralbeauty

Hey!

Literally same boat, but a few years less of a hiatus. I got back on NR around the holidays with some updates. 

Sorry to hear life got rough. Glad to hear your goni's are doing well though!

Welcome back! Excited to see what you do next!

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, hypostatic said:

Hey NR community. Just wanted to give a little update. Guess last post was about 5-6 years ago. I had some rough times over the last few years, and the tank suffered as a result. Almost everything had died as a result, except a couple of corals -- ironically the goni's, which are supposed to be super sensitive lol.

Anyway, I've been trying since last winter to bring the tank back from the brink of death. I've finally been able to turn things around to where the tank isn't constantly covered in algae/cyano, so I'm slowly starting to get back into things.

I'll be posting pictures/updates soon. The tank is nowhere close to where it was at it's heyday; I'd like to look at this as a new start.

Wooo! welcome back! glad the tank is still kicking even if it needs some reviving. 

• Like 1
hypostatic

I also wanted to make a post about this gorgeous animal. This is Cyerce nigricans, commonly named the Black and Gold Sapsucker. It is a sacoglossan sea slug in a different lineage than nudibranchs. It is widely distributed in the Indo-West Pacific, and feeds on algae such as turtle weed (Chlorodesmis fastigiata, pictured), or possibly something in the algae. This is ALL the information that seems to exist about this animal.

image.thumb.png.8c8aa687028d6ef629d628c5930e3349.png

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
hypostatic

Photos of most of the survivors. Taken on the Pixel 3. Sorry if anything looks weird, I'm trying out a bunch of settings.

Acan (?) I got from a LFS. It was not in the greatest condition -- super bleached and pink/white. It developed some really nice color after it recovered

330090753_acan1.thumb.jpg.f764f1dbdaf01e7198abc5837e573e03.jpg

The glittering goni. It doesn't glitter anymore (I think I need more intense lighting), but it's grown a good amount

131178796_goni1.thumb.jpg.73852933e4dc58d9b1e8b21e631b8466.jpg

GSP from when I started the tank. Before I got the water quality turned back around, I think the polyps were closed for like a month.

gsp.thumb.jpg.a10a20c226a0e32dbf44a91e8e560a45.jpg

Lone surviving hermit. This guy is a hero; I've seen him catch and eat a bristleworm!

hermit.thumb.jpg.7a56f51cde77c0016d6230c1715c28c2.jpg

One of just 2 surviving mini mini nems. Hold on buddy.

1604100210_minimini.thumb.jpg.23581afd801f09cb6c1c227c5ff26116.jpg

Lone surviving graceful nem 😢. Almost lost this species; from what I've seen I'm one of the few hobbyists that keeps it. Plan on biobanking this with more reefers so it doesn't disappear from the hobby.

966948295_nem1.thumb.jpg.c74aa78efa1b2cc8bb9e2d123c9eda20.jpg

A few surviving eagle eyes. They are starting to turn around. This was taken in RAW, and I think the image quality turned out better than the rest of the pics.

1716374564_eezoa.thumb.jpg.67fd64613712cbea5955d4a16b6446f9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...
hypostatic

So I had a HOB skimmer that broke down after a couple of years, the Rio Nano Protein Skimmer. It cost only about $40, and skimmed pretty well. The biggest drawback was that it was super noisy.

Googled an upgrade replacement, and I was SHOCKED lol -- the avg replacement costs about $200. I guess I forgot about the price haha. But seriously, how the ****** can something that's mostly a hunk of regular plastic cost that much?? Guess I'll go back to the Rio Nano if the tank looks like it's missing the skimming...

Ya price has risen on most everything these days including corals. DD has yellow suns for 200 bucks when they used to charge 30-40. Nice Gold torches went from 60 bucks to 200+.

Maybe from collection bans I guess?

My LFS almost never has Duncan's or toads anymore unless someone trades some in.

I am soooo THRILLED to see those two nems made it. I had to get rid of almost all my livestock in a life emergency so I don't have the one you sent me anymore 😞

When you have babies to trade or sell I would love to get some going again. They would be very happy in my macro tank I think.

It looks like your tank is making a great turn around.

• Like 2
hypostatic

Bought some nice zoas from @Legendary Corals during their sale. Everything's opened up nicely except the rastas; anyone have any tips on rasta care?

On 5/27/2019 at 7:04 PM, Tamberav said:

I am soooo THRILLED to see those two nems made it. I had to get rid of almost all my livestock in a life emergency so I don't have the one you sent me anymore 😞

When you have babies to trade or sell I would love to get some going again. They would be very happy in my macro tank I think.

Sad to hear that life also punched you in the face. But that's life for you...

It's been so long I don't remember -- did I send you the graceful or carpet nems?

hypostatic

More notes on the tank:

Looking through the thread, it's really surprising on how much "micro" life used to live in the tank. Asterina starfish, limpets, copepods, micro feather dusters... The fact that they all disappeared says a lot about the general health of the tank I think. I think to get the balance back to where it was, I need to get some uncured live rock in the tank...

On the same subject, the last few months I had REALLY been struggling with algae/cyano. Was doing 2-3 water changes per week, with no real improvement. It finally dawned on me that it might be the bacterial balance of the tank that had been out of whack. In sort of a last-ditch attempt, I bought some "Vibrant" to see if it would do anything. Followed the directions, and I think within 48 hrs I could notice the tank turning around! I would def recommend the product:

image.png.518db826091fb75100c8b3635469e487.png

I also remember that when I started the tank I used some Microbe-Lift Special Blend to stabilize the bacteria. I think I'll try using it again so see if it further helps to improve the situation.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, hypostatic said:

Bought some nice zoas from @Legendary Corals during their sale. Everything's opened up nicely except the rastas; anyone have any tips on rasta care?

Sad to hear that life also punched you in the face. But that's life for you...

It's been so long I don't remember -- did I send you the graceful or carpet nems?

It was the graceful.

Rastas are super fast growers and seem to handle a variety of light. I just iodine type dip zoas that look angry which seems to perk them up.

hypostatic

ah yeah, the gracilis is fairly slow growing. The mini carpets have split a couple of times, but it'll take the gracilis a while to get re-established

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hypostatic said:

ah yeah, the gracilis is fairly slow growing. The mini carpets have split a couple of times, but it'll take the gracilis a while to get re-established

I def would love to get both at some point when they repopulate.

Also I saw Florida pets have stargrass this spring on and off...made me think of your tank.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 5/27/2019 at 4:35 PM, hypostatic said:

I love this video of your clownfish hosting your goniopora, it seems to tolerate it exceptionally well! How cool!

It's great to have you back @hypostatic, it sounds like you're on track with improving your reef tank. What other kinds of algae were you having trouble with besides cyano? I'm glad to hear Vibrant did the trick in outcompeting them, these newer 'probiotic' bacteria cultures seem to work well in the right conditions.

• Like 1