Cultivated Reef

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

hypostatic

man. it's time to clean out the cannister filter. It's WAAAAAAYY overdue. There like algae growing on the return. It must be so dirty in there :scarry: :scarry: :scarry:

• Like 1

video of me feeding reef roids to some of the gonis. when they are actually feeding on the food they won't be jerking and retracting their polyps

Awesome video! Wish I could squeeze a pink goni into my new tank lol.
  • Like 1

Apparently amazon says they're frequently sold together with one of these controllers. I think I might get one...

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2/ref=pd_bxgy_199_img_y

White spray paint?

Naw, the spray job would be horrible. I looked up white cabinet fans, seeing if I could fit them in the cabinet vents in the back. For now I'll put the fans on the sump.

hypostatic

hmm I forgot how big your tank was lol. That sure makes things more complicated lol. What are the temps getting up to?

65 gallons makes that little guy just a little guy.

HarryPotter

White spray paint?

I wouldn't- that could mess with the bearings.

Just buy a white fan on eBay IMO- they have every color from pink to gold!

• 1 month later...

So I went on a 2.5 week vacation.... and there were a few casualties in the tank :(

Most notably, my elegance died. I guess something happened to the powerhead that was right on top of it, cuz it looked like the powerhead fell right on top of the elegance... its tissue must have gotten sucked into the powerhead and been chopped up. SIGH. That coral survived a few years of my abuse, and quite a few moves. Here's to you old friend:

One of the gonis was flipped upside down, and half of that colony was lost as well. Hang in there, goni. A few other things are a bit pissed off as well.

On the bright side, all my orchids and frogs are still alive. I even found a new tadpole today. So at least there's a bright side.

There's that Murphy's law in action again. Sounds like if that pump didn't detach, the tank would have been just fine! I'm glad you had a bright side to ease the pain of the elegance loss. It was a pretty coral.

Sigh yeah. The goni was flipped by a snail, so that I can cope with (I expect that chaos from them), but the powerhead falling on the elegance was not.

There's actually a tinyyy bit of flesh still left on the skeleton that looks healthy, so I'm kinda hoping it might do what plates do in situations like this, where a baby will rise from the ashes. I'm not holding my breath though.

HarryPotter

Sigh yeah. The goni was flipped by a snail, so that I can cope with (I expect that chaos from them), but the powerhead falling on the elegance was not.

There's actually a tinyyy bit of flesh still left on the skeleton that looks healthy, so I'm kinda hoping it might do what plates do in situations like this, where a baby will rise from the ashes. I'm not holding my breath though.

Picture?

After reading about this I went over and zip tied the cord so that if the powerhead ever loses its grip on the glass it can't fall... Thanks

Here's some up close shots:

14lng44.jpg

34982sn.jpg

here's the knopia sneaking onto the middle part. *sigh* i need to pull it off to keep it from taking over

2qullav.jpg

:wub:
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll post a pic of the remeining elegance tissue when I get the chance. I've been SUPER busy recently, so I haven't been posting much or anything.

Seems like love is in the air in the mantella baroni enclosure:

m0mGfT7.jpg

• Like 2

I'll post a pic of the remeining elegance tissue when I get the chance. I've been SUPER busy recently, so I haven't been posting much or anything.

Seems like love is in the air in the mantella baroni enclosure:

m0mGfT7.jpg

This is your other critter enclosure? Darts?

• Like 1

This is your other critter enclosure? Darts?

Mantellas are "darts" from Madagascar. Not true darts, but an example of convergent evolution.

• Like 2