SaltCritters.com

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

hypostatic

I pretty much blame my pistol shrimp on everything like that that happens in my tank. Just the other day he managed to take an acan frag that is easily twice his length and drag it under the rockwork, through his tunnel, and out to the other side. At least it surfaced on the other side so I could rescue it. My Kicka$$ Yuma from Legendary Corals and Reeftek Starburst monticap frag are somewhere underneath the rockwork.

BTW back in my dark ages of reefkeeping (circa 2002) I had attached an IV dripset to a container of kalkwasser as my ridiculously cheap top off...

Yeah, I think I know who did it. One of the blue hermits likes to hang around that area like he's king of the world lol.

I was thinking of something like that -- some sort of slow drip system.

Congrats on the TOTM! I love the colors and movement in your tank, and it's really interesting to see a different approach to tank maintenance and filtration. It's fascinating to me how there are so many different roads to the same destination :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
hypostatic

Its springtimeeee

The orchids are growing and blooming, and the frogs are singing! Froggy love is in the air!

Speaking of which, last year's love children are getting kinda big. Time to find some new homes for them...

• Like 1

Speaking of which, last year's love children are getting kinda big. Time to find some new homes for them...

How hard is it to take care of those guys?

Compared to reefing? lol

I mean in general i guess. Money / time / effort lol. I mean it cant be as hard as keeping an SPS reef but i have no idea.

hypostatic

I mean in general i guess. Money / time / effort lol. I mean it cant be as hard as keeping an SPS reef but i have no idea.

In general it's a LOT less money/time/effort lol. The hardest thing is probably culturing fruit flies. Which if you really don't want to do, you can just order from suppliers. But during the winter it's always uncertain if cultures will make it alive cuz of the cold -- but there's even suppliers that guarantee live winter shipping.

But yeah, generally low maintenace/worry. If I go on vacation for a week, I don't worry at all that they'll be fine when I come back. Every so often you'll hear a story about a frogger who will sell their breeding pair, and completely stop taking care of the tank, only to find a baby fat and happy months later.

In general it's a LOT less money/time/effort lol. The hardest thing is probably culturing fruit flies. Which if you really don't want to do, you can just order from suppliers. But during the winter it's always uncertain if cultures will make it alive cuz of the cold -- but there's even suppliers that guarantee live winter shipping.

But yeah, generally low maintenace/worry. If I go on vacation for a week, I don't worry at all that they'll be fine when I come back. Every so often you'll hear a story about a frogger who will sell their breeding pair, and completely stop taking care of the tank, only to find a baby fat and happy months later.

Oh man fruit flies? that must be a pain, do they ever escape into ur house? How big is your viv?

hypostatic

Oh man fruit flies? that must be a pain, do they ever escape into ur house? How big is your viv?

Eh, they're a lot less of a pain than dealing with "wet" live foods like brin shrimp or phyto lol.

The flies do escape on occasion (there are people who have fly-escape-proof tanks, but mine isn't), but they're flightless and I haven't noticed any in like 6 months lol. Most importantly, the girlfriend hasn't noticed haha.

The main tank with the azureus is a 20 long. I also got a 10G with leucs, and like a 16G sterilite that I'm trying to keep mantella in.

• Like 1
hypostatic

not yet

Then I'd say it's time to try! It's a tea from South Africa; it's from a different plant than the tea plant, and it's caffeine free. It's made a bit differently too -- I believe you're supposed to boil it with the water for at least 5 mins.

• Like 1
hypostatic

bought some live brine shrimp at the LFS today. The pagoda is VERY efficient with prey. I need to figure out how to record this...

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
hypostatic

I got a gorilla pod for the camera! time to get some more brine shrimp and take some fun videos...

Also, after about a year the elegant nems had finally split enough times for me to sell some. BUT I guess one of the hermits knocked the shell down that the extras were on, which crushed/killed at least one of the nems (the other is MIA).... I guess I'll just wait another year to spread these into the hobby again....

The micro mini nems, on the other hand, are doing fantastically. I started out with 2 and now I'm up to like 10!

• Like 4
hypostatic

video of me feeding reef roids to some of the gonis. when they are actually feeding on the food they won't be jerking and retracting their polyps

• Like 4
hypostatic

Nice gonis

Thanks!

So last week the temp in tank was reaching like 85F, so I got a fan for the tank:

xcTMrW5.jpg

Dropped it down to 75F

• Like 3

I had one of those (dual fans) on my RSM, one in the sump one on the DT, worked like a charm. Might have to employ them again on this tank but the whole setup is white, hate the thought of a black fan on it. I'll have to figure something out.

• Like 1
hypostatic

Apparently amazon says they're frequently sold together with one of these controllers. I think I might get one...

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2/ref=pd_bxgy_199_img_y

I had one of those (dual fans) on my RSM, one in the sump one on the DT, worked like a charm. Might have to employ them again on this tank but the whole setup is white, hate the thought of a black fan on it. I'll have to figure something out.

White spray paint?