Cultivated Reef

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

Awesome shot hypo...this tank looks fantastic.

Thanks!

Sooooo I made my first frag ever!

So I think in the summer of 2013 I bought a pipe organ colony off of Live Aquaria. Foolishly, I added it to my tank without dipping. Turns out it was harboring some sort of nasty. Two whole colonies of pipe organ, around 500 polyps disappeared.

But out of the ashes, a bit of hope sprang up. Here is what was left around 12/2013:

whz0w9.jpg

03/2014:

2uop0xt.jpg

06/2014:

OzRaY4Y.jpg

Last month it finally looked healthy and big enough to frag, so I broke out the dremel and made my first frag!

Here it is, right after it was glued to the plug, thrown around in the middle of the zoas:

ql7dZb2.jpg

One more shot:

xiq9LQU.jpg

Not having that huge dead skeleton has opened up a lot of space. I've also acquired a few more frags here and there recently, so there's some rearranging to do. Keep an eye out for the updated FTS when I'm done ;) .

Speaking of new acquisitions, I picked this up in November I think:

qn5whCq.jpg

Yaayy yellow zoas! I think people call these "reverse pink hippos"

And a little bit of old as well. I had some GSP that I put in the back of the tank so I could fiddle around with other stuff in the front. Well guess who's spreading?

01JrpaQ.jpg

Mr Clown is not amused at these flashes in the middle of the night.

• Like 6

Nice pics. I have 3 polyps of that same kind of Pipe Organ struggling in my 29 gallon. I'm hoping it recovers as well.

If you wanna give em a boost target feed them. They LOVE food. Any small particulate food like phyto or powdered food. I feed mine with goniopowder, and also with the green water that dissolves when I thaw out hikari spirulina brine shrimp for the suns.

oh, the pipe organ is so cute!!

Yep! It's making quite a nice recovery :happy:

And now for some quick growth pics!

Oct 2014:

93cdG3p.jpg

These guys must have been freshly cut. Look at that fresh super glue. 4 polyps.

Jan 2015:

VT1dGiU.jpg

It's almost tripled in size! You can see on the bottom there's like a polyp that's trying to break through the zoa mat!

• Like 4

So I've ordered some new frogs! Some of these:

Baron%2527s+Mantella+%2528Mantella+baron

But the weather has been SO FREAKING COLD that I've asked them not to be shipped, just in case.

GAHHHHHH I WANT MY FROGSSSSS

• Like 2

So I went to Curaçao a few months back. Did some relaxing, hiking, snorkeling, and took a metric TON of pictures. I figured the people of the reef might enjoy some of them. Here's a few dozen lol. Hope your browsers can handle the load ;)

L1LJ9sn.jpg

lDoNeUY.jpg

89R0Fln.jpg

u4UNa8v.jpg

WNb1BDN.jpg

jZgWgd8.jpg

IthLvbc.jpg

wPk1PAc.jpg

CGJgORK.jpg

wnlNwRJ.jpg

RUclpXa.jpg

0YjffuD.jpg

lkI0Wrg.jpg

VJtkwWw.jpg

BkCA3Gv.jpg

gNn7d3G.jpg

tfGl9PH.jpg

idjuBXV.jpg

thpM5tH.jpg

eYpaGwL.jpg

4FhFN5x.jpg

Mop6A1u.jpg

vPv3k6I.jpg

ziYuIbI.jpg

Hmmm getting a "merge_too_many_img" error. I guess it's too many pics at once lol

• Like 8

oh wow, those cuttlefish are awesome!!!

Yeah! Not sure if they're cuttles or squid, but they sorta looked like 2 different species from they different coloration (though I know they can change their coloration, so I'm aware this might not be the case)

Part deux is even better! Looks like an incredibly fun vacation!!

And RELAXING! Going on vacation and relaxing is really important to no only your health, but also your work ethic. There are actually studies that have found that workers are more productive when they get to take some time off to recharge their batteries.

I'm from Brazil, and over there for example, everyone gets 4 weeks of paid vacation. Like, it's REQUIRED BY LAW. I think most of Europe you get like 2 months. Other countries have much stronger worker's rights.

how many hours was the flight? would you say the island is expensive or moderately priced or mexico cheap?

Ummm so JetBlue has nonstop flights there now, and it's about 5hrs? They didn't have nonstop when we went, and we laid over in Panama. Flying to Panama was ~5hrs, and then to Curaçao was like 2 more hours. On the way back we had a longer layover in Panama, and we actually walked around a tiny bit in the rainforest! Funny thing is, just flying to Panama would have cost like, twice as much! lol

I'd say it's moderately priced. It's definitely not Mexico cheap (depending on where you go to Mexico...), but then again it all depends on your spending habits. We only really spent money on the hotel and food.

• Like 1

part DREI!

n81NPTu.jpg

E5drich.jpg

Yo this fish was HANGING UPSIDE DOWN OUTSIDE THE WATER on the underside of a cliff edge. Any Ideas what this guy is???

sQDqthA.jpg

QZsen58.jpg

Q33rTRD.jpg

Sun corals (which are apparently invasive), literally INCHES from the surface in FULL SUNLIGHT, and out in the open. Ain't no one right when they say you should be growing these in a cave in your tank....

3ywAcTu.jpg

Pz6rKyS.jpg

MYSTERY BLACK THING. Sponge maybe? Any ideas?

cbsqqcN.jpg

DNJmgeH.jpg

Z6N7Zl2.jpg

BslSXQm.jpg

9GN8KlK.jpg

nvIEsbe.jpg

5Z8F6wv.jpg

jiX3Inn.jpg

vuFC0Ej.jpg

gsz96Zv.jpg

This was a nerite that I grabbed by mistake cuz I thought it was a rock, and the snail was as bit as my head!

Kb0jktM.jpg

cboV6u4.jpg

dZ6wW6N.jpg

SAYvN52.jpg

CEzj7Tk.jpg

xBa3OO2.jpg

46ATyx7.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the tour- awesome! But that spider pic- whew - my wife is gonna freak when I show her that one!

Haha yeah, that was a big one too. It's web was probably bigger than I am, and I'm 6'1" for reference lol. Photo taken in the Panamanian jungle.

• Like 1