Top Shelf Aquatics

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

Did you ever end up switching your bulbs?

Yes!

I ended up using the configuration you suggested. I tried putting the more blue-shifted lights in (out of curiosity) and you were right -- it looked weird.

I had some zoas that were like shrinking before I shwitched the bulbs, and now they're happy and growing again ;)

• Like 1

Nice FTS- great colors- how do you like your black sand? It really makes your tank pop!

Thanks! Oh, I LOVE the black sand. One of the better decisions I've made.

The colors are a bit brighter/lighter in person -- I had to turn the exposure all the way down on my camera cuz the pagoda coral would just look like a white blur otherwise. In the FTS it's still kinda overexposed I think, since it looks mostly white.

here's what a better picture of the pagoda looks like:

eAM0d5J.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! Oh, I LOVE the black sand. One of the better decisions I've made.

The colors are a bit brighter/lighter in person -- I had to turn the exposure all the way down on my camera cuz the pagoda coral would just look like a white blur otherwise. In the FTS it's still kinda overexposed I think, since it looks mostly white.

here's what a better picture of the pagoda looks like:

eAM0d5J.jpg

Looks great! Ya I really like the black sand- my lfs didn't carry any when I started up my tank and I didn't have the patience to wait for it!

Some recent scores from the LFS, each frag was only $16!

Nice pink rings on these guys

3TYh0Yt.jpg

These guys have a cloudy light blue that I don't think I'v really seen before (and I can always use more blue zoas!)

pzXZyg8.jpg

• Like 2

So curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to irritate the poor animal and find out what was in it's mouth. Turns out it was a FISH FLAKE that it was in the middle of eating (D'OH)! I've tried feeding it it so many things, but I would not have guessed that flakes would be what it was craving lol

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you have a name for the yellow zoas? I have the same ones, but don't know what they are. Mine are super temperamental.

Spoke too soon I guess. RIP zoas.

I got a second anemone crab and I don't think they get along very well. I think they might be different species. The one I originally got is thinner and has larger redder spots. The new one is a bit bigger/fatter, and has smaller blacker spots. Anyone know the difference between Neopetrolisthes maculatus and ohshimai?

edit:

Oh, they're both the same species lol. Maybe they're different genders?

OK, new anemone crab has booted original anemone crab fromthe rock flowers. Original is now living behind random stuff, last I saw he was behind one of my filter intakes.

97Mngyt.jpg

So he's currently in the green circle.

Should I try to move him to a new home? Or should I leave him alone?

I was thinking I could move him to one fo the places red -- elegance, pagoda, or sabae. The elegance is the biggest that he might feel the most comfortable in, but I don't know if it would react well to the crab. The sabae is not the healthiest specimen, as it's bleached out and not sticky.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

OK, new anemone crab has booted original anemone crab fromthe rock flowers. Original is now living behind random stuff, last I saw he was behind one of my filter intakes.

97Mngyt.jpg

So he's currently in the green circle.

Should I try to move him to a new home? Or should I leave him alone?

I was thinking I could move him to one fo the places red -- elegance, pagoda, or sabae. The elegance is the biggest that he might feel the most comfortable in, but I don't know if it would react well to the crab. The sabae is not the healthiest specimen, as it's bleached out and not sticky.

Thoughts?

Has he not moved about in search of a new home? Not to change subjects but how old is your elegance- that is a terrific piece?. How do you like your black sand- makes everything pop- tanks looking great

• Like 1

Has he not moved about in search of a new home? Not to change subjects but how old is your elegance- that is a terrific piece. How do you like your black sand- makes everything pop- tanks looking great

I guess the filter intake is his new home now lol.

I think I've had the elegance for about 2 years now. I think it's doubled or tripled in size since I got it.

And I love the black sand. It makes the whole tank look more better.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Your reef looks so amazing. Especially those flower nems!

How often do you feed your dendro?

My sun coral is so skinny atm and I would like to fatten it up.

Currently trying to put it in a bowl and feeding it to avoid making the tank dirty.

• Like 1

Your reef looks so amazing. Especially those flower nems!

How often do you feed your dendro?

My sun coral is so skinny atm and I would like to fatten it up.

Currently trying to put it in a bowl and feeding it to avoid making the tank dirty.

Thanks!

I feed my dendros about every other day. Every day is best for the most polyp extension and growth. Are they polyps expanding?

• Like 1

Thanks!

I feed my dendros about every other day. Every day is best for the most polyp extension and growth. Are they polyps expanding?

If I put some Reef Pearls powder in the water they tend to come out within about ten minutes. At night they are open usually.

They are weak atm though, I think with the moving tanks etc. that they weren't getting fed so much anymore.

• Like 1

If I put some Reef Pearls powder in the water they tend to come out within about ten minutes. At night they are open usually.

They are weak atm though, I think with the moving tanks etc. that they weren't getting fed so much anymore.

Ah. If they are super weak I'd recommend getting a high protein flake (Formula One is 60%), crushing it into super small flakes, and sprinkling it onto the dendros with the pumps off. If they're string enough to take large food, I'd recommend hikari spirulina brine shrimp. The best tool for feeding them is a transfer pipette, or a syringe; turkey baster would come in second.

This tank is abosolutely stunning, I love it. Makes me want a RFA or 2 to go with my z's :P

Thanks! The RFAs add a nice touch to the tank, and they don't have a super strong sting or anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a couple of weeks, but not much new has been going on in the tank in general. I thought this view was pretty nice, and I tried to snap a pic (though it kinda looksout of focus....)

tIsW4GW.jpg

In the new stuff department, I decided I've been a good boy this year, and I did a little xmas shopping for the tank. Here's the goodie I'm most excited about:

Zpvg2sV.jpg

• Like 12