Pod Your Reef

Bootes's Clownfish (kind of) Breeding Thread

bootes123

I've never done it - but to exchange a tank, I don't think it would be an issue.

And flabob - Petco's have the sale 4 or 5 times a year (seems like more recently) You just have to check in from time to time. You can ask the employee's working there and they'll usually tell you. There are sometimes threads that pop up announcing the sales but they happen so often anymore that I rarely see the threads. When the sale was once or twice a year it was more of a big deal.

They actually wouldn't Exchange it or give my money back because its passed 30 days. Lesson learned!

How do you find out when petco has the dollar a gallon sale?

I can tell you it wasn't going on yesterday... Lol. I think you have to swing by every now and then.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooo......

In my quest to bread clown fish I have actually accidentally bred Mollys........ Has anybody ever sold these to their local LFS? They seem to be having babies almost every 10 days......

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a 100 gallon rubbermaid container for my sump today. I plan on using 5 gallon buckets from home depot to house the bioballs and the pump. The rest will be filled with sand and live rock. I will plumb in a drainage line with a shut off which I will be able to use for an exterior pump down the road!

I am thinking of getting a reef keeper lite to help maintain temperature. Anybody go this route?

I was buys today!!! I started plumbing my new brood stock system. I had planned on connecting two 20 gallon tanks,but one didn't make it through drilling the holes for the bulk head.

I picked up a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub from Tractor Supply to use as a sump.

IMAG0151.jpg

Here are the bulk heads coming out the back of my 20 gallon.

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

I am going to use a five gallon bucket for the system to drain into the sump. There will be a filter sock hanging from the five gallon bucket.

IMAG0155.jpg

The bottom of will be filled with sand. The return will be built into another 5 gallon bucket to keep the sand out of the pump and rest of the system. I also have most of the return cut and ready to glue.

A long day!!

going along nicely. why you using bioballs? all the food you will be feeding i dont think that little amount of bioballs would make any difference. a huge skimmer and filter socks i think work better.

i got a SRO 5000xt skimmer for my system. my system is only 200g and the skimmer is for a

400g - 600g system. you would need way more balls than a 5g bucket i would imagine.

great idea starting big with the sump. always easier to add a tank or two to a big sump then you wont need to upgrade that. i was thinking of doing the tub route, but a local reefer was getting rid of a 75g she converted into a sump so the dividers were in place already. just needed to drill it for my Reeflo hammerhead.

go with a rkl i got them on all my tanks cept the breeding system. i got a rke. also look into another rkl for the hatch tanks. i got one with their new tm4 module which allows me to control 4 heaters off 1 module that has 4 temp probes. good investment. no guessing what temp the heater is keeping the babies at.

going along nicely. why you using bioballs? all the food you will be feeding i dont think that little amount of bioballs would make any difference. a huge skimmer and filter socks i think work better.

i got a SRO 5000xt skimmer for my system. my system is only 200g and the skimmer is for a

400g - 600g system. you would need way more balls than a 5g bucket i would imagine.

great idea starting big with the sump. always easier to add a tank or two to a big sump then you wont need to upgrade that. i was thinking of doing the tub route, but a local reefer was getting rid of a 75g she converted into a sump so the dividers were in place already. just needed to drill it for my Reeflo hammerhead.

go with a rkl i got them on all my tanks cept the breeding system. i got a rke. also look into another rkl for the hatch tanks. i got one with their new tm4 module which allows me to control 4 heaters off 1 module that has 4 temp probes. good investment. no guessing what temp the heater is keeping the babies at.

Thank you!

I spent a lot of time researching systems. I was going to use a regular storage tote but decided to go with something that will hold up to the heat.

I am going to hold off on buying a controller. I want to see how stable I can keep the temp in the water with the heaters in the dump first.

I was going to use bio balls, because I have them I guess. I plan on using the bioballs until I get enough live rock to replace them.

Good news!! I fired up the system today with fresh water. No leaks!! I need to purchase a new pump for the system. The one I have has a metal cover over the shaft. It was a cheap 10.00 impulse buy at Lowes.

I am thinking of getting a Quiet One 4000. It will be to strong for my current setup, but as I add tanks it should work perfectly down the road. I will just adjust the valves to give me what I need.

Looks good!

Just make sure the weight of the PVC drain isn't supported by the glass alone. I attached wood blocks to back of my stand after I plumbed my system for the drain lines to sit on. one tank might not be an issue but if you start adding on it could be a problem.

yeah i dont have mine hanging either. my drains are on the stand behind the tank. i got 1' overflows going into a 2" drain that is all supported cept when its going into the sump. but even that is attached to something so it is supported.

there is alot of vibration in the pipes when the water rolls thru. i would also add a vent on the line at the far end. plumbers always talk about "air behind water" for draining. i had alot of chugging and gurgling/ i o added a T in the 2" drain and added a 3/4" pipe to it for a vent and it stopped all the gurgling and made it as silent as i can get it. i got a reeflo hammerhead that produces 5500gph. so i can only get so quiet. hehe

yeah i dont have mine hanging either. my drains are on the stand behind the tank. i got 1' overflows going into a 2" drain that is all supported cept when its going into the sump. but even that is attached to something so it is supported.

there is alot of vibration in the pipes when the water rolls thru. i would also add a vent on the line at the far end. plumbers always talk about "air behind water" for draining. i had alot of chugging and gurgling/ i o added a T in the 2" drain and added a 3/4" pipe to it for a vent and it stopped all the gurgling and made it as silent as i can get it. i got a reeflo hammerhead that produces 5500gph. so i can only get so quiet. hehe

I am going to plumb in a air vent tonight. It seems that the new system is flowing as expected. The heaters are keeping up with the water (that was my biggest concern). All I need to do is move over my skimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my brood stock moved into the new system. So far everything seems to be running great!! The new design is so much quieter. The increased flow washes away a good amount of the extra food.

Here are a few pics of the fish in the system.

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

I have been working on adding a 40 gallon breeder into the system. I am trying to figure out how I want to divide it for additional brood stock.

What with all the whitness? My tank looked like that when I set it up using some cheapo oceanic salt on sale. Took two weeks to get it all cleaned up.

What with all the whitness? My tank looked like that when I set it up using some cheapo oceanic salt on sale. Took two weeks to get it all cleaned up.

That is actually sand from the sump. It blew into the tank during the setup. I didn't see a reason to get rid of it right away. I figure as I clean the tanks it will come up.

Right on - I swear my tank was that white - every square inch of it from setting it up with crappy salt. It looked like a calk storm blew through.

Right on - I swear my tank was that white - every square inch of it from setting it up with crappy salt. It looked like a calk storm blew through.

I have been using instant ocean. So far I have't had an issue with it dissolving.

Has anybody ever insulated their tanks with foam board? I don't think it will be to much work to attach some insulation to the sides of the tanks and sump.

• 5 months later...

Well... After the summer I am back to keeping up on this forum. I am working on getting my system back up to par for breeding.

How is everybody doing?!

Well... After the summer I am back to keeping up on this forum. I am working on getting my system back up to par for breeding.

How is everybody doing?!

Doing good... welcome back. Any progress over the summer or was it all just travel and margarita time?

Archived